Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-01-03, 5:24am
Gonna get blow'd up!

Default One bead per mandrel? Am I a turd?

Sooo, I see you guys cranking out 4 or more spacers on one mandrel. I've tried this, I suck massively at it. Instead I have loads of mandrels and I use a set of sized 'example' beads to try to keep everything the same size.

Is there a benefit to more than one bead on a mandrel? I am seriously not that coordinated nor that able to focus...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Copperrein; 2011-01-03 at 6:16am.
Old 2011-01-03, 5:33am
Help i am on fire

the best i can do is 2 small, small ones. shocked to see 4 on one rod
Old 2011-01-03, 5:39am
Gonna get blow'd up!

Look at Davina's photo in this thread http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=183562
Amazing

AND I think those are 1/16" mandrels (which I find harder to work with)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-01-03, 5:51am
Linda Linda Honey, lookit

You said 'tard. I'm so offended.

Old 2011-01-03, 5:54am
Hobby Junkie

^^^ Oh no! Not again!

As for the spacers... I put 4-6 on a mandrel. I can't get a consistant size unless I do. I make earring pairs on the same mandrel too. It's the only way they'll even come close to being a pair. The trick is to either work fast or keep bathing them all in the flame.

Old 2011-01-03, 6:14am
Run Free Sweet Boy

ugh.. didnt ya learn from the last blow up about using that word?

but the secret is.. keep everything hot all the time, so keep rehating the other beads on the mandrel all the time. I can get about 6, but know others who can get 10

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2011-01-03, 6:18am
Gonna get blow'd up!

I've been gone for two weeks...I didn't realize there was drama. I have since edited the title

Old 2011-01-03, 6:22am
Hobby Junkie

It's still the same title here. I didn't think you could edit titles after a couple of minutes.

Old 2011-01-03, 6:31am
thecoralcat

Location: Upstate South Carolina about 20 minutes south of Asheville, NC

I think it matters what kind of torch you have too (coupled with supreme skill level of course....). The broader flames on the larger torches and some of the smaller ones would help to keep everything warm. The most I can manage on the Cricket with its focused flame is 4 (and one is always iffy). I usually will do two for earrings, but solve the spacer problem by using Swarovski crystals instead in my sets for sale. I figure there are plenty of beadmakers who do production sets of colored spacers, so I don't bother.

The Victorian Style Floral available now!

NEW TUTORIAL!
Joan - Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in glass!
Old 2011-01-03, 7:13am
Rose colored glasses…√

I don't keep all the beads warm. Nope. I'm not that freakin' coordinated nor am I that focused. If you never take the bead you just made back into the flame, it won't crack. Make a bead. Travel an inch or so down the mandrel. Make a bead. Travel an inch or so down the mandrel. Make a bead. (You can put them even closer together if you aren't using striking glasses.)

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2011-01-03, 7:23am
Did someone say SALE?

I have a question about that very thing, Chrissi. I've heard you can do that, but how big can you go on each bead with your multiple beads on the mandrel if you don't keep them warm? I would think that there is a limit on the size unless you kind of "flame anneal" them before you start the next one so they are less likely to crack.
Old 2011-01-03, 7:29am
Rose colored glasses…√

I dunno...maybe 10mm-12mm could be a good stopping point with regard to how much you allow a bead to grow. The largest I think I've gone has been maybe 3 8mm beads.

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2011-01-03, 7:31am
Sorry for party rockin'

I make all of my earring pairs two-per-mandrel.

It was a gradual process though. I started with just making two evenly sized spacers per mandrel. Once I mastered that, I graduated to two spacers with just dots. After that, I worked on more complex, multi-layer decoration with dots, lines, twists, bumpies, whatever. After that, worked on two encased beads per mandrel.

You asked about the advantage, and for me it's about making two beads that are evenly sized (more appealing to sell as earring pairs) - and - it helps me to keep the same deco on both beads. Otherwise, if I do one at a time, I don't know if I'm starting with the same sized base bead and I'll forget my decoration pattern after the first one is in the kiln.

I make spacers in three-per-mandrel doing what Chris describes . . . make a bead and move on, don't reheat it.

Old 2011-01-03, 7:35am
Did someone say SALE?

Thank Chrissi! I tend to work big. Your sets could probably fit onto one of my earring beads. lol
Old 2011-01-03, 8:05am
Ellyloo-YAH!

I've done about 5 or 6, and do reheat (if i do more than 6, i definitely lose some, so 5 is pretty much the safe zone for me. I should learn the 'no reheat' method.

If you do them close enough, the flame will keep the ones to either side warm, while melting the middle one down. then it's a matter of playing some sort of leap frog game with the keeping warm. (smaller beads lose heat quicker...) yeah, they crack, but if you're lucky, they'll just pop and stay on the mandrel,and you can melt them back down again.

Old 2011-01-03, 8:09am
Ad astra per aspera

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissij View Post
I don't keep all the beads warm. Nope. I'm not that freakin' coordinated nor am I that focused. If you never take the bead you just made back into the flame, it won't crack. Make a bead. Travel an inch or so down the mandrel. Make a bead. Travel an inch or so down the mandrel. Make a bead. (You can put them even closer together if you aren't using striking glasses.)
What she said. The important thing is DON'T GO BACK! That's the surest way to crack a bead, in my experience.

Old 2011-01-03, 8:09am
Lampworkaholic!

I'm going to try the spacer trick of not going back into the flame.

I don't have much trouble making two beads the same size, I have my "standard" base size down pat in my mind's eye.

But it would be really nice to make a few spacers per mandrel just to save on dipping and bead release!

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-01-03, 9:22am
Nikki Haverstock

I make a bead then move down with no reheating. The one mistake I make is that I forget to reheat the mandrel so the bead release breaks. For that reason I usually can make 3-4 beads
Old 2011-01-03, 9:41am
honorary bead lady

Since that thread is gonna flush tonight and no one after today is gonna have a clue to refrence...

(Davina's photo)
Old 2011-01-03, 10:04am
da General

I think it's more important to make perfectly shaped bead one or two on a mandrel than to load up the mandrels with slightly wonky ones . . . so the answer to the OP's question is: No, there is nothing wrong with making them one at a time on a mandrel, imho!

Having said that, I do make them 3 on a mandrel but do reheat them when I am encasing the beads. Had too many breakage otherwise.

|
|
|
|
Old 2011-01-03, 10:12am

If I make more than two to a mandrel, the first one I made tends to crack and I'm not even going back into the flame, just right in the kiln. They're not even that big, maybe 10mm spacers. I just stick to 2. I'm not that fast.

Old 2011-01-03, 10:14am
sunscreen me baby

I learned to do multiple spacers on a mandrel as a personal challenge. When I first started I used to make spacers as a warm up every session. When I got so they were easily cranked out I started to work on multiples. It was a great technique to master. Now I can do big hole bead multiples on my rods which makes them evenly sized as well as letting me get more beads made with my limited number of big mandrels.

I would certainly say it's something you have to work at and not an easy thing for people to just do.

~

Old 2011-01-03, 10:17am
Ellyloo-YAH!

Ooo, big holed bead multiples! I can't even get 1 bhb without making it wonky.

here's my pictorial contribution. Encased beads.
Done with the "Reheat" method.
Attached Images

Last edited by ellyloo; 2011-01-03 at 10:22am. Reason: 'big holed multiples' sounded too dirty. :)
Old 2011-01-03, 10:29am
Fire n Sand Glass Art

I've done as many as 15-16 mini spacers without reheating but lost a couple. Only do about 5 reg size or so now since I don't deep dip my mandrels that far and it seems faster in the long run. Also have over 100 1/16 mandrels.

~
~
~
~
Old 2011-01-03, 10:45am
thecoralcat

Location: Upstate South Carolina about 20 minutes south of Asheville, NC

I did not know about the "no reheat" method! Do they not crack when you put them into your kiln at the garage temp? Or is this only for batch annealing?

The Victorian Style Floral available now!

NEW TUTORIAL!
Joan - Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in glass!
Old 2011-01-03, 10:50am
Hobby Junkie

They usually don't crack when you garage them. I may lose one out of 50.

Old 2011-01-03, 10:56am
And silence is golden

If I decide to go with more than one bead on a mandrel, it's just about 2-3 at the most. When my mandrels wear down from the flame, I can at least salvage a good portion of the mandrel.

Besides, I have serious issues with bead release falling off the mandrel while trying to make one bead. I'd be cussing up a storm by the 3rd bead when the release starts to flake away!
Old 2011-01-03, 11:26am
Glass-aholic

I can do 3 to 5 on a mandrel. ON A GOOD DAY. Not all the time, just some times....
I could on my HH, and then absolutely could not on my minor for like a year! Now I can get like 3 on my minor before I start having anxiety about adding the last 2, and one of them always turns out wonky if I make more than 4

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2011-01-03, 1:29pm
organically speaking

I make tons of spacers and I like to have really consistent sizes so I make at least 6-7 of my 10mm and up to 10 of my 8mm beads. I fire a mid-range bench burner that I can tune to a nice fat flame, which helps.

Old 2011-01-03, 1:40pm
...displaced ocean lover

I'm sorry...I'm still stuck back where someone said they made multiple BHB's on one mandrel!

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Now featuring SOCK MONKEY AND SEA TURTLE beads!

....and now with Hot Steeeeenking Peppers!!!

...and Muggle Made Sorting Hats