Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-07-28, 8:33am
Cancer SUCKS!

Default Oxycon Repair

I have several unusable oxycons and I would really like to try and repair it. Does anyone have any suggestions. I can't believe that they would be that difficult to repair or to replace parts.

I'd appreciate any help or suggestions. I hate that we live in a throw away society and most people would just go out and buy a new one. That leaves a graveyard of dead oxycons everywhere.

Thanks,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-07-28, 10:07am
Bad Cat Glass

Sometimes, if you call whoever services medical oxygen cons in your area they will help you or will tell you who repairs them in your area. I also had good luck with the place I bought mine from helping to diagnose the problem. They sent me some parts, and my DH was able to repair it. You might also try asking other glassy folks in your area if they know anyone. Good luck, it isn't always easy to get them repaired.
Old 2011-07-28, 12:35pm
Cancer SUCKS!

Thank you Francesca! I stopped by one medical place and they were of no help. Said I needed a prescription for them to help me.

Old 2011-07-28, 12:36pm
Cancer SUCKS!

I will try getting the online manual for it and go from there. I haven't contacted the manufacturer yet either.

It should be so difficult to repair these. I just hat to see them wasted.

Old 2011-07-28, 1:19pm
Burnt Wood Beads

Hey Deb, before you trash them, let me know. We live near the Twin Cities and I'm gonna be needing a different one soon someday...and my hubby can fix just about anything!

Julie

Old 2011-07-28, 4:46pm
Ad astra per aspera

I had a terrific experience with this company when my Onyx+ needed repairs this spring.

http://www.oxygenplusmedical.com/con...air-rates.html

Old 2011-08-09, 9:03pm

I can help! Send me a PM with what you have and a phone number. I can ask some questions and see what may work for you

Old 2011-08-09, 9:21pm
Queen Of the Kitty Parade

I HAVE A GUY THAT I USE! HE IS SUPER AND FAST! he is right up the street from my house and with what the rebuild for mine was gonna be...I BOUGHt a new onE FROM HIM!!!!!!!
Here is his info:

Horse Creek Medical
803-593-9311
His name is Pierre Van Fassen

CALL HIM HE IS EXCELLENT!!!! And if there is an issue....his is like 3 miles away from me...I can HOUND him for you!!!!!

He sells M-5 and M-10's with a warranty!!!!!!

Tell him that i recommended him and maybe he wikl give yiu a discount! I even got my hose from him! CHEAP

Last edited by Meow Meow Beads; 2011-08-09 at 9:23pm.
Old 2011-08-12, 10:45am
Cancer SUCKS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin L View Post
I can help! Send me a PM with what you have and a phone number. I can ask some questions and see what may work for you
ooooh, thanks! I won't be able to PM you until Sunday. I was beginning to think I had to throw them out.

Thanks,

Old 2011-08-12, 10:46am
Cancer SUCKS!

Thanks, Susan

Old 2011-08-12, 4:51pm

Deb, who did you contact about repairing them? Mine are going wonky so I'm e-mailing around to see if I can get them repaired. If I get any positive responses, I'll let you know.

You're right. It shouldn't be such a trial to get these repaired locally. I don't really get the prescription requirement when we can demonstrate that we use them for other things.

Justin, if I can't find anyone either, I may be PMing you, too

Old 2011-08-12, 5:04pm
Cancer SUCKS!

I contacted a local medical supply. It's one of the main ones and I can't think of the name off hand. It's off of 280 and University.

Old 2011-08-12, 5:10pm
Still Missing You

Call a couple of hospice care centers in your area. They can give you the name of who services their units.

When you call the repair contact, let them know you are using the unit for lampworking and do not need it to be certified for medical use. Otherwise, the prices they quote you will be what they quote for the medical industry. Normally THAT is not cheap!

Who knows, you may locate an inexpensive unit or two for sale by hospice and normally the units are kept in pretty good shape.

Someone once advised the hospice care units have to replace the concentrators after "X" amount of hours on them. I don't know that for certain though.

Good luck with your search.
Old 2011-08-12, 5:28pm
Cancer SUCKS!

Thanks Dalilly for the suggestion. I will get in touch with hospice in town next week.

Old 2011-08-16, 6:24pm

Optimistic news. Liberty Said they'd look at my OxyCons. Here's what I wrote. I'll post their reply next.

From: Julie Bowen [mailto:julie@autochthonous-evolved.com]
Sent: Friday, August 12, 2011 4:42 PM
To: Maplewood@libertyoxygen.com
Subject: Oxygen Concentrator Repair Inquiry

Hi,

I am a local artist that makes glass beads. I make them using a dual-fuel torch that runs on propane and oxygen. My oxygen comes from two DeVilbiss oxygen concentrators that I purchased for hobby use from someone who refurbishes them out East.

Both of my concentrators have recently begun failing (blowing more air than oxygen, based on the flame I’m getting, and the service light comes on frequently) and, while I could ship them back East for repair, I was wondering if you repaired oxygen concentrators for local hobbyists without a medical prescription for oxygen?

Thank you for any information you can provide!
Julie

Old 2011-08-16, 6:25pm

Sent: Tuesday, August 16, 2011 3:45 PM
To: 'Julie Bowen'
Subject: RE: Oxygen Concentrator Repair Inquiry

Good Afternoon Julie!
My warehouse manager just got back to me and said that they could absolutely take a look at it and see what was going on. They would then contact you to see if you would like to go ahead with the repairs if they are able to fix the concentrators. You can either drop the concentrators off in the Maplewood office sometime before Thursday afternoon (that’s when my delivery comes for the week and the driver would take it back with them to St. Louis Park), or you could bring them directly to the warehouse yourself in St. Louis Park. Feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns. Thanks!

Melissa Palmer
Customer Service Representative
Liberty Oxygen and Medical Equipment
1715-D Beam Ave. Maplewood, MN 55109
651-789-7500

Old 2011-08-16, 8:38pm
Cancer SUCKS!

WOW, that is awesome Julie!!! Thank you so much for possibly finding someone that might be able to fix them. They are super close to me too, maybe 5 min drive, lol.

I haven't had any time to check into this. Please keep me posted if you drop yours off and if they can get them fixed.

You are the best!!!!

Old 2011-08-18, 10:24am

I dropped one of mine off yesterday and Melissa was very nice. Just waiting now to see what's wrong and what their repair estimate is. I'll keep you updated.

Old 2011-08-27, 2:27pm
Cancer SUCKS!

Any updates?

Old 2011-09-13, 2:11pm

I have a few units in need of repair as well, please post up your results!
Old 2013-01-12, 8:32pm

You know, I apologize, I never did report back, but they said - with my unit, at least - it would need a new pour and, I think, a new compressor (the foam insulation from the inside had started to shred (?!?) and get sucked inside the compressor, apparently. All said it would have cost over $400. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them now, given that I bought them for around $200 each. I did see on another post recently that, even broken, it may be possible to get around that much for them on craigslist? It may be worth checking out ... at least seeing if there are other oxycons on there. I've gone back to tanked oxygen.

Old 2013-01-23, 8:13pm

I purchased a remanufactured unit (M15) from an ad I saw on LE. I'm waiting for it to be sent. I am so tired of running out of O2. I did find out I have a hairline crack at the top of my tank. I was thinking I would get it fixed and keep a backup tank of O2 in case the oxycon has down time. I use a Carlisle mini cc. I'm so anxious for the delivery!
Old 2013-02-02, 6:11pm

I think you'll like it, Marla. Especially an M15. When they work they are lifesavers. My first oxycon lasted years. The second barely more than one. Given that I want to do boro, too, I just decided I was done, even though hauling O2 tanks can be a pain.

I'd be interested to hear what your tank service says about repairing the crack. I think it would make me too paranoid to keep.

Old 2013-02-02, 6:27pm
Another band aid pleeeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by marla0416 View Post
I purchased a remanufactured unit (M15) from an ad I saw on LE. I'm waiting for it to be sent. I am so tired of running out of O2. I did find out I have a hairline crack at the top of my tank. I was thinking I would get it fixed and keep a backup tank of O2 in case the oxycon has down time. I use a Carlisle mini cc. I'm so anxious for the delivery!
Hoping you can help me out. I am trying to get my hands on an OxyCon. From whom did you order yours, and how long is the wait? I've been waiting months already and would be thrilled to find an alternate source.

Thanks for any info.
Old 2013-02-03, 4:19am
Now part of the Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by marla0416 View Post
...I did find out I have a hairline crack at the top of my tank. I was thinking I would get it fixed and keep a backup tank of O2 in case...
Usually you just swap your tanks at the supply shop, there are no shops in my area that fill on premises. And I do own my tanks.
Old 2013-02-04, 6:01pm

I'll add my endorsement for Justin and Oxygen Plus.

http://www.oxygenplusmedical.com/con...air-rates.html

I have two 5 lpms that I bought from OP and the service is wonderful. Where can you get an oxy con with a 5-year warranty?

I see that a complete rebuild is $400, which seems like a lot, but check around to see what comparable costs are. I don't know why you can't buy repoured sieve beds, which is what usually goes up. If your compressor is still okay, you might get away with just that.

Otherwise, check and see if your local landfill will take them for recycling. At least they won't have to go in the fill. Mine recycles nearly everything.

Good luck!

Nolly