No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-06-28, 12:02am

Default Am I burning my glass?

Hello.
I am very new to lampworking and I am not sure what I am doing wrong. When working with two new colors soft glass COE104) today they drastically changed color and seem to have burned or charred? Is this possible? Am I doing something wrong? I am using a beginners torch from a fireworks kit awaiting a hot head).

Also, once and a while the bead release with crack and crumble off my mandrel while working and the bead will spin around. Any suggestions to help with this issue (am I getting this to hot)?

Thank you LE community!
Manda
Attached Images

Old 2012-06-28, 12:06am
Entropy increasing....

Yep, you are burning your glass. That is usually how the look in the beginning. lol

I've never used a HH torch, so I can't help with that. But the mandrel thing. Take a file or piece of coarse sandpaper and scratch up the surface. That will make the bead release stick better. What kind are you using?
Old 2012-06-28, 12:24am

I figured that may be the problem! I am just so excited that it seems I am getting the glass to hot to fast huh?! Hah. I am using a bead release by Devardi glass. It is VERY thin so I may be looking for some new stuff. Thanks for your confirmation of my suspicion!!
Old 2012-06-28, 12:36am
Cave Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedLady View Post
I figured that may be the problem! I am just so excited that it seems I am getting the glass to hot to fast huh?! Hah. I am using a bead release by Devardi glass. It is VERY thin so I may be looking for some new stuff. Thanks for your confirmation of my suspicion!!
The problem is not too hot, it's too close to the torch head.

There are two types of flame coming out of your torch:
(there is another type of flame "oxidizing" but with a Hot Head
you really do not need to worry about Oxidizing flames)

Neutral, this is the point where the fuel and the air are creating a flame
that is consuming almost all of the fuel.

Reducing, this is close to the torch head and not all of the fuel is being
consumed in the flame so it will make your beads sooty.

The neutral flame or "sweet spot" is where you want to be.

Sweet spot location:

Move your bead out further away from the torch head, do not work your
glass in the bright cone as that is where the air and fuel are not fully
combusted.

My first beads were very crispy.

Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Role; 2012-06-28 at 12:40am.
Old 2012-06-28, 12:44am

Thank you Role! I will try this and see of it helps!
Old 2012-06-28, 1:09am

If you work beads too cold or too roughly, they can pull loose from the mandrel.

Are you mixing your bead release thoroughly? It's a good idea to toss one or two wonky beads (candidates pictured above, grin) in the bottle and shake like crazy to help get the thick sludge off the bottom. If it's completely mixed but still too thin, leave the bottle open for a few hours (depends on humidity) to let some liquid evaporate and thicken the release.
Old 2012-06-28, 1:38am
Alaska Boro

If your mandrels are new, heat the part where the bead release is applied to a red glow. Air cool and then dip. This only has to be done once to condition the surface.

Heating can be done with the torch or on a gas kitchen stove.
Old 2012-06-28, 4:39am

what kind of glass is it, in the picture it looks like opalino or alabaster both burn almost alone looking at the glass. not the best glass to start with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit my Etsy:

Visit My ebay:
Old 2012-06-28, 6:33am

also check out the youtube vids. i'm not a fan of Devardi's glass (some is ok, the colors are good but shocky hell) but devardi/mailbuggy has a ton of tutorial vids. of course it's devardi glass they use, but the same applies to most coe 104 glasses.
Old 2012-06-28, 7:56am
Senior Moment

I started with a Fireworks torch and had the same problem. Despite moving the mandrel to different areas in the flame, and lowering the flame itself, my light colors almost always scorched. I suspect it's an inherent drawback to using that particular torch; I don't think it mixes the fuel and the oxygen well. I also suspect you will find much less scorching when your new torch arrives. I found a huge difference when I started using a Hothead; rarely if ever do I scorch a bead, even if I work close to the head of the torch.

HTH
Alli
Old 2012-06-28, 8:23am
Formerly FishBulb

Devardi bead release may not be the best to start with. Order a jar of Fusion or Foster's Fire (or both and mix them together like I do!) and try it then. It seems bead release formulas are closer to rocket science than you might think, and only a few seem to be any good.

Once you get a hothead and find the sweet spot on the flame, you won't have as many issues with burning or soot. One of those pics almost looks like soot to me, which suggests a dirty flame. I had that happen in my early days too. I kept the beads though!

Welcome to glass!

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.