Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-11-18, 10:10am

Default Starry nights...

I'm looking to get the effect of stars on a dark blue transparent background. Do I use silver leaf (or foil), burnish in and melt it in...or is there another method?

Thanks in advance

Duane

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-11-18, 10:18am
Now part of the Dark Side

Dichro?
Old 2012-11-18, 10:36am
Flame Dames Rule!

If you lay down swipes of fine silver wire (really thin gauge), when you hit it with the heat it usually breaks up into little balls. I've seen the technique used over the years by folks who do 'universe' type beads.

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Old 2012-11-18, 10:46am
I speak Murrini!

I second both ideas here Duane!

I personally prefer using the dichro as they give me tiny "distant" stars; when I use the fine silver wire technique, they tend to be larger "stars" I use the "Silver on Clear" dichro from DH; Carol (CrystalFlipz) also makes fantastic dichro stringers! I see she doesn't currently have any listed, but hopefully in the near future... http://www.etsy.com/shop/crystalflipz

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2012-11-18, 12:08pm
formerly Marella

Those are all great ideas! I also like to use a dark base, like transparent cobalt blue, burnish on some fine silver foil, melt it in and roll the bead in some clear frit to spread out the silver a bit and concentrate it in "constellations".

~
~
~
Old 2012-11-18, 12:30pm

Devardi makes a silver frit that makes nice stars as well

Old 2012-11-19, 4:48pm

Aw thanks De! I'm probably biased because I make them, but I love way the dichro stringers look like stars floating in the sky.
This bead has gold dichro stringer but you can get the idea from it - any of the stringers work the same way. And the awesome Tardis murrini is one of De's masterpieces!

Old 2012-11-19, 7:41pm

Carol - That bead is beautiful!!!!!

"Whether you believe that you can or believe that you can't, you're probably right." Henry Ford
Old 2012-11-19, 11:48pm

A very simple way is to take a reducing silver glass stringer and put tiny dots over your bead, then reduce the dots before putting the bead in the kiln.

Old 2012-11-20, 7:27am
Lampworkaholic!

You can get a cool effect if you use trails of 30 gauge fine silver wire and then encase in clear.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox