Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-02-12, 6:28am
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

Default Let's Play - Name That Bullseye Colour!

I bought a huge box of (mostly) unlabelled Bullseye rods & shorts from a lady for a song a few months back & I have been slowly sorting out what is what & trying to identify some of the colours.

In the box there were 4 pinks, 3 of which were very similar in shade/colour. I am really not sure if there are 3 different colours or just slight variations in different batches, they look different in the pics, but they were all worked differently, the flower was worked much longer than the lentils or diamonds in the earrings. The rod colour is a deep raspberry pink (similar to the earring colour) which lightens when simply heated & then cooled. I was pretty surprised when I pulled the flower out of the kiln this morning because I wasn't expecting all the variations in colour.

So are there 3 colours or is it just variations in batches? Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions as to what colours they may be, I'd love to hear them!

Based on the end result, I think these 2 are the same, probably Pink Opalescent 000301?

Then there is this one

And finally, the flower (I know the pink in the centre is Petal Pink)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-02-12, 8:43am
sunscreen me baby

It could be an odd pink like raspberry cream or raspberry jam. I'm not sure you will ever really know and even if you did, you could get the color from someone else and have it do something a little different.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~

Old 2013-02-12, 4:39pm
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

very true Suzy I just think it's fun trying to guess.

I haven't heard of raspberry jam before, thank you I will try to google it.

Old 2013-02-12, 8:54pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Whoa! Whatever they all are, they're very, very, yummy shades!

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2013-02-14, 3:40pm

Mrs. D,

I think you're right that the first two examples are 301 Pink. The second focal is 305 Salmon, I bet, and the flower is anyone's guess.

Thank you for showing me what the petal puller is meant to accomplish! I guess the reason that I never had much luck with it is that I was using it wrong!

One last thing, savor that older glass. The newer stuff doesn't have as much opacifier in it--much more translucent, not bad, but not what I was used to.

Have fun with your new Bullseye!

Nolly

P.S. If there's frit on the flower, the base might be smoothie pink--an odd lot that had some taupey overtones when worked pretty hot.

Last edited by Nolly; 2013-02-14 at 3:43pm.
Old 2013-02-14, 5:00pm

Please clue me in as to who is making that petal puller. Thanks.

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2013-02-15, 4:28am
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

Di, yes, very lickable!

Nolly, thank you! No frit on the flower, it is just 1 rod of pink (apart from the dot of petal Pink in the middle).

The Petal Puller is Karen Leonardo's, she actually has two tools that do the opposite thing, the one I have is the Petal Puller & you literally pull petals off the end of a rod, put them in the kiln & then attach them to a base of glass to make the flower. The other one is the Petal Presser which you use by attaching dots of glass to a base of a flower & then pressing the dots with the tool to form the petals.

One thing I can say is to check what size flowers you are likely to make, I bought all 3 sizes of the Petal Puller thinking it would be good to make different sizes & so far I have only used the small size. And to be honest, unless I somehow become Superwoman & start using huge rods of glass & get a kickarse torch, I will probably never use the large or even the medium size . Apart from 1 or 2, most of my flowers so far have been in the 60mm (2.5 inch) range & that's just with the small version.

Old 2013-02-16, 1:06am
one day at a time

I believe the pink in the middle is salmon pink.
Old 2013-02-17, 8:12pm

Thanks Robyn for that information!

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2013-02-17, 8:37pm
Echo's Mother

Alright. Someone who actually has a petal puller! Did you find it difficult to learn? Have been thinking about getting one. Would love some feedback.
Old 2013-02-20, 11:41pm
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

Thanks Lisi!

Tendebrock, I found it really easy to learn, but I did buy a copy of the dvd tutorial. My first flower wasn't perfect but I think it was pretty good!

I prefer the petal puller to the petal presser, with the puller you can choose which way to put your petals on (pointy end to the centre or to the outside) where as with the press it only works one way (pointy bit out).

Last edited by MrsD; 2013-02-20 at 11:46pm.
Old 2013-03-06, 8:36am
Custom Imprint tools

Thanks for the plug Robyn. Your flower is gorgeous and I love the fact you used the Leonardo micro mini pinwheel for the center Just added new micro minis to my site. It is really the only time I get to see what is up on LE. The cancer ribbon micro mini would look lovely inside the pink flower too. Have a great day and thanks again for mentioning me. www.leonardolampwork.com

Old 2013-03-06, 8:47am
Custom Imprint tools

Default Make leaves!

Robyn....make some leaves to go with your flowers using the medium or the large. I pull the petals, set them on the warmer. Make your little bead on the mandrel, heat the edge of the tiny bead and the edge of the petal and attach. I then crimp the middle with ruffler. Very easy leaves. I also do large flowers in boro using the large puller. Give them a try and let me know how it goes....I crimped the edges instead of the middle on the leaves in the photos.
Attached Images

Old 2013-03-06, 4:56pm
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

Thank you Karen, I will give the leaves a try, your leaves are lovely. I love your tools & especially the imprint tools, I have my fingers crossed that you will be coming to The Gathering so I can buy some more off you.

This is my latest flower, also in Bullseye, this time, a red. Sadly I only have a little cricket, so boro is a real struggle for me but one day I might get a bigger torch & be able to play with the big kids .

Old 2013-03-07, 4:12am
Custom Imprint tools

Hi Robyn. I will be at the Gathering. I will have all of my tools. I will most likely have a table at the bead show as usual and you can always find me in the evenings at open torch doing demos. Looking forward to seeing you and your flowers are just beautiful. I am glad my tools have helped make your creating easier

Hugs.

Karen

Old 2013-03-07, 6:16am
Echo's Mother

I finally broke down and bought the petal puller and pusher in the small size. Hoping they will get here by the weekend so I can play. Flowers are something I want to make. And so far my attempts have been pretty bad.
Old 2013-03-07, 11:26am
Custom Imprint tools

Hi...if this is Michelle...I sent your order yesterday. Thank you very much. If you have any questions please let me know and I will help you the best I can

Karen