Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-01-30, 4:39pm

Default Camouflage Bead?

Has anyone on here, ever made a camouflage bead? My dad gave me his camouflage cotton jacket to ware while I was doing beads yesterday,and it made me think...hmm... I wonder if I can make a bead that looks like that? Well, I tried using frit, and dots and stringers in various combonations but none of the combonations I tried really worked. If anyone has any idea/suggestions please let me know.
Old 2009-01-30, 5:16pm
I fart diamonds

I did it with a custom frit blend and a couple of random splotches but I don't have a pic because I traded it at the gathering in KC.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-01-30, 9:45pm
I practice alchemy!

I tried a gravity-swirled, organic effect and it turned out pretty close.

Celeste
Old 2009-01-30, 11:00pm

I have. See picture below. This was from a frit I got during a frit swap. I don't recall the name, but maybe someone recognizes it and can say. (I'm thinking maybe something called Savannah???) It is on Effetre Avacado.
Attached Images

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2009-01-30, 11:24pm

lauscha olive, buckhorn, black and brown
Old 2009-01-30, 11:51pm

I KNEW someone made a gorgeous one but for the life of me couldn't remember who!! THAT is one pretty camo bead!! Goes with my clothes!! lol

Old 2009-01-31, 7:08am

Thankyou, everyone. I'll just have to keep trying out diffrent things. Jbeads that is definitely the look i was going for, but I don't have any etching solution or lauscha glass... I'll have to order some.
Old 2009-01-31, 12:34pm

Thank you! The buckhorn might be hard to find and get though. I hear it can go for a high price. I gave my last few rods away.

You can try other combos. I have seen a steel blue camo with black, brown and a kind of milky color.

You could also try with the CIM colors.

Good luck and post your results. Would love to see how others interpret the pattern.

Lara, yours are very cool as well. The Avacado is another great idea!
Old 2009-01-31, 2:00pm
I like to melt things

I'd try Khaki, Sage (or Avocado) Green and Dark Grey splotches over black or ivory and see how that works out. You can make the splotches pretty random and still come up with a cool effect. I've never tried this, but it seems like it ought to work.

-
-
Old 2009-01-31, 2:25pm
Just me

I remember Karla (SirWatson here @ LE) showed some a while ago that I thought were excellent and spot on with the colors.

I hope she doesn't mind, (if you do Karla pm me and I'll edit my post).
I'm posting a link to her gallery on her website where you can see what they look like. I have no idea how she made them or with what colors but maybe they will give you some inspiration. http://www.sirwatson.com/gallery.aspx

Old 2009-01-31, 2:41pm
Does that shed?

I did a heart for a friend who's into hunting,,,,,shudder.

So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!
Old 2009-01-31, 7:05pm

What are CIM colors? I guess I'm not as up on the lingo as I thought. Bubbyanne, I also think those beads are spot on. I think I'll try the camo thing again twomarrow. I can't promise about posting pictures. My dial up dosen't want to let me. But I'll try.
Old 2009-01-31, 7:53pm

CIM is Creation Is Messy. You can google it or search the forums here for some nice pics of beads made with that glass.

I too am on dial up. To get them to load quicker, you need to resize them to a pretty small size. The one I posted above is only 30.2 kb and 247x226 and it loaded pretty fast.

OOO love that heart Anzie!
Old 2009-01-31, 8:05pm
OBA-Official Bead Addict

I did mine with some frit and I think it was Khaki messy glass if I recall....was a long time ago and I can't remember the frit but I think it may have been Beadgoodies frit Greenwood..not sure.

Janet