No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-04-01, 8:32am
susanLambert

Default crunch press

does anyone have success with this press? I have one and just haven't been real excited about the final shape. anyone? anyone?

susan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-04-01, 9:03am
koregon

I actually love the shape...look at Kimberlys seahorses...what a sexy shape that makes a perfect pendant.

for bracelet beads they lie so well on the wrist and are super comfy.

so yeah...its a great shape...I have the original size/wide and xwide...they are awesome

Old 2006-04-01, 9:05am
Born Facing Left

I use that press a lot, but I do a lot of reshaping after pressing. The press is just the first step, just gets the beads started along the way to their final form.

Old 2006-04-01, 9:07am
koregon

this statement is so true for so many presses...I have a brass stump shaper that I use all the time in my final touches of a pressed bead..heat and touch...fire polish...touch here...eye the bead.

sometimes pressing comes out totally perfect...but more times than not you need to heat and touch with a brass stump shaper or some other tool to help the bead to perfect
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry
I use that press a lot, but I do a lot of reshaping after pressing. The press is just the first step, just gets the beads started along the way to their final form.

Old 2006-04-01, 10:42am

The crunch/bead squeeze is my favorite mold. If I had to pick just one press to keep that would be the one. Ditto on that there is alot of reshaping, I descirbe it as debumming. But, it's SO worth it.

Monique

PS: Kim I can't wait to see you do some monster seahorses on some of catt's new larger crunch presses!
Old 2006-04-01, 10:46am

It is my most used press. I just love it. You need to make sure your bead is round and centered on the mandrel.

Old 2006-04-01, 11:40am
susanLambert

it's a great help to go look at Kim's seahorses. It helps me seek what you can do with that press. I have tweaked a bunch, but never figured what I was heading for. anyone have any pics they would be willing to share of what they do with this?
thanks! Susan

Old 2006-04-01, 1:09pm
Puddy Cat Lover

The crunch press was among the first presses I ever purchased. I was hook right away. I've made and sold several focals and sets using the crunch presses. Here are pictures of a couple of sets that sold on Ebay not long ago.
J.
Attached Images

Old 2006-04-01, 3:31pm

I've found that it helps to press when the bead is pretty cool, otherwise the glass tends to squish around.

Old 2006-04-01, 11:14pm
Glassy Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica
I've found that it helps to press when the bead is pretty cool, otherwise the glass tends to squish around.
You're absolutely right. For any pressed bead, I take the bead out of the flame, count to 7 or 8 slowly, then press gently. This helps to avoid glass from squishing out the sides.

BHB/PANDORA EXCHANGE IN THE PATIO
Old 2006-04-01, 11:15pm
Obsessed Blogger

I had one of the first ones at it was only 5.1mm deep and I couldn't stand it! I've since gotten many more and just a couple mm deeper made a world of difference. It's now my favorite shape also!

::
Old 2006-04-02, 9:15am
susanLambert

thanks these pics are a tremendous help )
Susan

Old 2006-04-02, 10:25pm
Formerly Fireflyartglass

Hi,
I have a kalera nugget on the way, will I be able to use this press to make really small crunched beads? I have been putting off buying a cattwalk standard crunch incase I can get away with the nugget. Any thoughts anyone???
Old 2011-02-22, 8:59pm
Triumphantly Knit!

I just got Anouk's tutorial on making silver glass sing and it is wonderful. One of the items on the shopping list is a crunch press. I'd never heard of a crunch press 'til yesterday. I looked at many and I can't wait to be able to get one!
I love the look and there are so many to choose from....I think it will be a case of can't get just one.....will I get thinner if my food budget goes for lampwork supplies?
Namaste
Rowyn

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
Old 2011-02-23, 1:01am
offically down under

I love the crunchie press and, recently crunchie masher I just got. http://www.etsy.com/listing/48547546...facet=handmade To me, this is the easiest press to use as you don't have to worry about the perfect amount of glass.
Attached Images

Old 2011-02-23, 10:13am
one day at a time

I prefer my beads to be not so thin so I got a custom made press that is for 8mm thick beads. The 6mm just made me nervous and to me it would be okay for little beads, but not for the larger ones. There is not that much thickness on either side of the mandrel. The 8mm is a lot better IMHO, at least for my peace of mind.

Most of the press makers will be glad to make you a custom made press if you don't like the beads to be so thin.
Old 2011-02-24, 11:42am
Triumphantly Knit!

What size crunch press do you suggest and why?
I've been browsing around and would love some input....
Thanks
Namaste
Rowyn

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

Old 2011-02-24, 4:01pm

Well I've had a crunch press for several months now and haven't used it yet. Can anyone tell me if I need a longish barrel shape prior to pressing? I guess I've not attempted it cuz I'm not sure what shape to start with.

My Ebay
Old 2011-02-24, 4:08pm
sunscreen me baby

Try a few different shapes. One of the neat things about the crunch press is you can get different version of the bead depending on your initial shape. I prefer to start with a something that resembles a little tootsie roll.

~

Old 2011-02-24, 4:15pm

Try a round shape and an oval shape too, as SuzyQ said it gives you a different final look. The crunch press is very forgiving though imo, it's a great shape.

Old 2011-02-24, 6:08pm

I love my crunch presses ... I have mulitple widths and sizes thanks to Cattwalk!

My favorite shape to use in this press is a bicone.

Here are two that have been "crunched" Think I used the #6? The first was a dumpy olive shape and the second a dumpy bicone ...

All from last year this time.

Sadie
Attached Images

Old 2011-02-25, 10:05am

Ooooo, such pretties! I never would have thought of doing a bicone shape in a crunch press. Thanks so much for the suggestions. Maybe now I'll feel a bit braver and actually use this press now.

My Ebay
Old 2011-02-26, 9:00am

I also love this press. I have one from Cattwalk and use it almost every day. Here is a set that I did with it...I crunched the beads then did some additional shaping...
Attached Images

Visit me here:

Old 2011-02-26, 11:17am

I like to start with a fat tube, then I heat it so the ends get pointier and the belly rounder, kind of like almost a football. Then I press that. Jeri

Still selling beadstands but no more Puffy Mandrels.

Last edited by Jeri; 2011-02-26 at 11:22am. Reason: to add photo
Old 2011-02-26, 11:18am
Triumphantly Knit!

I ordered a Kalera trio--from zoozi's. I can't wait. It was a really hard decision. I'm sure I will end up with several...
Have fun!
Rowyn

Old 2011-02-26, 1:10pm
Ad astra per aspera

I have the Cattwalk Dual Crunch and I like it. I'm longing for a larger/longer/deeper crunch (2nd on my buy list ATM), but the dual gets the job done for shorter beads, and you end up with 4 choices because you have a crunch side and a flat side on the bottom plate. I really like the basic crunch shape for 'pebble' type beads. They lay very comfortably in bracelets.

Old 2011-02-26, 1:38pm
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosiescreations View Post
It is my most used press. I just love it. You need to make sure your bead is round and centered on the mandrel.
And centered in the press. It's very easy to get an off center bead because there is no trough for the mandrel to line it up perfectly.