Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2006-07-01, 8:32am
Jane of all trades

Default Flashback arrestor: yes or no?

To use with a minor and an oxygen concentrator? I am going shopping on Monday and want to be sure... for me no flasback arrestor means 7 or 8 more pounds of glass so I want to be sure I have to invest in this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-07-01, 9:22am
Safety ALWAYS

With a surface mix torch, like the Minor is, a flash back arrestor is not necessary. It is highly unlikely that a flash back could ever occur, but that's not to say it couldn't happen.

My guess would be that the odds are like a million to one.

A flash back is much more likely with a pre-mix torch, like the National series and the Carlisle inner fires.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2006-07-02, 9:41am
Jane of all trades

Thanks a lot MIke!

Old 2006-07-02, 7:37pm
Fight glass with FIRE

You can buy the arrestors later when you have money for that purpose! I'd say Mike has explained the situation pretty well and that it is pretty safe to torch without the arrestors until you have more money for some. They are a good safety product to have anyways just in case!

Emmanuel Germain
Old 2006-07-03, 5:15am
tweetysweetie

It's hard to find them not packaged as a pair, but you wouldn't need the one for oxy when using the concentrator anyway. Plus what Mike said...they're more of a need on pre-mix torches anyway.

Old 2006-07-03, 9:02am
otk

Good to know! Thanks!
Nancy