Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-06-01, 10:59am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunyip View Post
Becky - you could (in theory) make spoon on your cricket - slowly! On the other hand, exploration is fun, so if you decide to go for it - don't play around with color. Go with all clear, that will bend your brain enough at first - and save you much frustration with melting the color in.

edit: By "go with all clear", I meant just skip the wrap and rake part entirely for now...I had a sudden vision of someone following the tutorial, dutifully spiraling clear on to the blank, and raking it and ending up with a very boring (if somewhat lumpy) pipe.
A spoon on a Cricket would be easy work. I have made many on a Minor. I've made sherlocks on a Minor.

The Cricket has plenty of heat for stuff like that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-06-01, 12:53pm
Marbles, dude, Marbles

If it gunks up real bad (I can't imagine what you are using it for that gunks it up so bad) try soaking it overnight in some hot water mixed with liquid electric dishwasher soap. Two or 3 soaks might be necessary; it generally works real nice.

Old 2010-06-01, 4:33pm

If you soak the pipe in methylated spirits then rinse in hot water it will clean the gunk out.
Old 2010-06-02, 5:30am
Pyromaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
A spoon on a Cricket would be easy work. I have made many on a Minor. I've made sherlocks on a Minor.

The Cricket has plenty of heat for stuff like that.

Maybe the crickets I've played with are different from the ones you've used...

I've done a lot of work on the minor too. You can crank the minor up pretty high on tanked oxy, whereas I found that the cricket has sort of a low upper limit, and is more of a precision/penetrating flame. Thus my comment on the slow going.

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2010-06-02, 1:45pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Maybe the crickets I've played with are different from the ones you've used...

I've done a lot of work on the minor too. You can crank the minor up pretty high on tanked oxy, whereas I found that the cricket has sort of a low upper limit, and is more of a precision/penetrating flame. Thus my comment on the slow going.
A Cricket puts out more heat than a Minor. At least, the one I worked on did...

Old 2010-06-02, 2:16pm
Pyromaniac

sorry for going off topic again but "more heat" may or may not be true in BTU's - I don't know - but my experience differed when working at the torch.

The cricket seems to have a more penetrating, precision flame, which is kind of the opposite of what's easiest when you're trying to learn to control hollow forms as it's very easy to end up with an uneven heat base. It's also a narrower flame, so you can't heat up as large of an area at once, although arguably you can get it hotter... Regardless, I had difficulties melting in a tubing implosion on 32x4mm, and it took forever to round out a skull pendant I did on a 20 mm rod maria, until I switched to the minor - the difference was immediately noticeable to me. The minor was slow too, so I then switched to a barracuda (OK, that's an unfair comparison) for my next pieces and things went much better.

I think once you reach a certain level of experience you may not notice some of the subtleties and difficulties inherent in different torch designs as you've learned to compensate for them automatically.

MY 2c, probably worth what you paid for it.

edit: for the record this was all on tanked.

Last edited by Bunyip; 2010-06-03 at 8:19am.
Old 2010-06-02, 2:52pm
ManBearPig

I guess it depends on the oxygen source too. The Cricket I worked on was on tanked oxygen. I learned on a Minor, and have used it on both tanks and concentrators. The Cricket out-performed it across the board.

I don't know anything about BTU's or anything, but I'd prefer to make anything that I make on a Cricket over a Minor. Of course, I love working on my CC, so take it for what it's worth...

Old 2010-06-03, 5:07am
Bliss Junkie

done on a cricket with tanked oxygen.... for spoons and such, i prefer my CC with its larger flame... so i mostly do pendants and sculptural work on the cricket, as it saves the gases....

Karma, it's everywhere your going to be...

GTT Cricket and Carlisle CC w/ a lot of tanked oxygen
Old 2010-06-03, 7:05am
Marbles, dude, Marbles

what is a 'spoon'?

Old 2010-06-03, 7:18am

Would be awesome to see a tutorial on making spoons with a small torch (cricket, minor, etc.) and/or oxycon(s).

Last edited by godling; 2010-07-04 at 10:59am.
Old 2010-06-03, 7:20am
ManBearPig

I don't use concentrators, but I do have a small torch. The process is the same regardless of oxygen source though.

I've been sick for the past few days, so once I'm feeling better I'll get out to the shop and get a tutorial together.

Old 2010-06-03, 7:50am
old fart

if you use a concentrator for your torch, its output power is limited by the concentrator. for a 5 l/m concentrator, the amount of output power from ANY torch will be around 6000 btu/hour. it don't matter what fuel you use, or its pressure, or what torch you have. there are huge differences between torches running off tanked or liquid oxygen.

Old 2010-06-10, 2:46pm
Flameworker

I would love a pipe tutorial! Cosmo, i would totally pay for yours too! I hope it works out, and hope you feel better man.
Old 2010-06-10, 10:52pm

If you guys do use that tutorial and like the idea of making these spoons and dont want to waste colour at first but want to figure out the wrap and rake tech just fume your blank then wrap clear over it melt in and rake
Old 2010-06-11, 4:57am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Propp View Post
I would love a pipe tutorial! Cosmo, i would totally pay for yours too! I hope it works out, and hope you feel better man.
Thanks. I'm hoping that I'll feel good enough this weekend that I can get out to the shop and get some work done. So hopefully I'll have a tutorial before too long...

Old 2010-06-11, 4:59am
Pyromaniac

Chad, will you include some different styles, spoon, sherlock, the so called one hitter and surface vs inside out techniques or is this going to be only spoons?

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2010-06-11, 7:42am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginkgoglass View Post
Chad, will you include some different styles, spoon, sherlock, the so called one hitter and surface vs inside out techniques or is this going to be only spoons?
I don't know yet. Just have to see what happens...

Old 2010-06-11, 8:00am
Pyromaniac

All of a sudden that tutorial turned into another book. LOL!

"Contemporary Pipeworking" by Chadhu Cosmo Trentum.

Old 2010-06-11, 9:45am
Flameworker

Quote:
All of a sudden that tutorial turned into another book. LOL!

"Contemporary Pipeworking" by Chadhu Cosmo Trentum.
Like i said, i'd buy it haha.
Old 2010-06-14, 3:58am
Glass Attack

Making a water bubbler would have to be a defining moment, that takes alot of skill and timing.. and probably a bunch of luck to get it right.. that or make it a seperate piece, and then just fuse the 2 pieces together.. is that hows its done?
Old 2010-06-14, 5:41am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbalBurn View Post
Making a water bubbler would have to be a defining moment, that takes alot of skill and timing.. and probably a bunch of luck to get it right.. that or make it a seperate piece, and then just fuse the 2 pieces together.. is that hows its done?
Sort of. To do a bubbler, you make the can, pop a hole in the top, then drop the downstem in and make a ring seal.

At least that's how I do it...

Last edited by Cosmo; 2010-06-14 at 5:44am.
Old 2010-06-14, 7:10pm
Torchaholic ;)

I will try to make a video for yall of making a basic spoon. Its alot easier when you see it done then when you read it, at least it was for me. Never made a movie before so we will see what happens.
Old 2010-06-14, 7:14pm
Torchaholic ;)

oh ya and shawn, I really dig that piece and been wanting to try something similar! Did you just coil pot on the end of a blow tube, honeycomb it. then add a re-ball section, then coil pot off that and honeycomb, pop hole and push it?

FOLLOW OUR TRAVELS IN THE MOBILE SHOP !

Old 2010-06-14, 11:56pm
Torchaholic ;)

Here it is- Figured I should give somethin back, Ive been givin lots of great info since I started It Only took one try And seven min - When I first started it took half hour to 45 min to make a simple spoon so dont be discouraged if you are fightin it at first.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kwVph2nd8A

I used 25mm Heavy wall - Green Chinese Tubing

I started with a 3in point I pulled allready, If you cant pull points search youtube, there is plenty of videos on how to do it. But its the first step so you gotta start with that.

The process is the same on small torch, I can make em on my mega minor the same way

Hope this helps someone

Old 2010-06-15, 1:59am
Glass Attack

thanks for the video! i was able to see more of what you were doing than some other people's video's. did you have a filter on?
Old 2010-06-15, 2:05am
Glass Attack

also, were those some locks i saw at one point in the movie?
Old 2010-06-15, 2:24am
Torchaholic ;)

yes and yes

Old 2010-06-15, 4:03am
Glass Attack

nice! im kinda dissapointed that my camera dissapeared durring my move, or else i would like to make videos as well when the time comes. but yea, mine are 9 1/2 months old right now.

but yea, on the topic of pipes: im watching this one guy right now, who is using frit and stringers inside the body of the pipe, and they look pretty sweet, here's the url if you want to check it out, and see what he's doing.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RKGlass#p/u/39/wqCqSO5HJjc
its a 3 part movie, but there's no audio(music though), and a few subtitles to explain what he's doing.
Old 2010-06-15, 6:56am
Peerless Thread Killer

Sweet video! I was able to really see what you were doing.

Old 2010-06-15, 7:06pm

nvm lol

Last edited by d2063614; 2010-06-16 at 10:48pm.