Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2020-07-31, 12:33pm

Default Advice for encased silver

Hello all! I was hoping someone might have some advise on what kind of kiln cycles I might try to run to get some more color out of this encased silver, or just advise to get some more color out of it in general! Thanks for any advice, I will attach the said piece.
Attached Images

Old 2020-07-31, 8:04pm

With boro, i try to lay silver on until i get a nicotine yellow color. If it is layed on too heavy you can blast it off with an oxidizing flame and then hit it with a neutral flame again real quick to get that even yellow. Once its imploded, let it cool until you dont see any glow when you hold it in a dark place (under your bench). Then turn the piece in the very back of a neutral flame, hot enough to make it start glowing again and sink the heat all the way to the core, but not hot enough to start moving the glass again. Hold it under bench. Repeat this 2-3 times. You can also use gold with it to get some greens and pinks. As far as kiln striking, you can ramp up to 1125° for 30 min as your annealing temp, then proceed with your normal cycle. I use this along with a lower garage temp around 925° while im working with silver striking colors, but with silver implosions, i think flame striking is the way to go along with experimenting with the amount of silver you use, flame chemistry and the number of strikes to get the desired effect.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Fuzzy; 2020-07-31 at 8:07pm.
Old 2020-08-01, 5:52am

Sorry only had that pipe fume pic earlier but you're doing implosions so heres a pic of an implosion. Im always trying to get more color out of them too.

Old 2020-08-01, 10:26am

Thank for the response and I love the pieces! My issue is more that I used a nofumefumetech type technique and was just hoping to bring out more colors out of that encasement, since its already encased do you think its possible for me to bring out more colors or am I stuck with the white?
Old 2020-08-01, 2:45pm

you could always bring it back up to temp in kiln and flame strike a couple times

Old 2020-08-01, 8:37pm

I was thinking of trying that! I havent tried it yet because I've never flame struck encased silver yet and don't fully know the protocol. Any chance you'd have any links to some helpful advice on flame striking, or have some yourself? Thanks so much for your responses!