LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-12-25, 9:35pm

Default Want to start a chat about lap grinding beads

Hi, I am still very interested in lap grinding "window" beads. I also am interested in faceting them.
I would love to start a chatting with a few folks about this.
Please let me know if you are interested.

Thanks
Sue
Old 2012-12-26, 2:35am

I have been doing this style of bead since taking a class from Jeri at the Gathering. Sell well with fellow bead enthusiasts, okay with finished jewelry shows. I am horrible with pictures, but will attempt in the next couple of days. What have you been creating?
Desta
Old 2012-12-26, 4:54pm

Location: Loving Bermuda, dreaming of Africa and looking forward to Maine!

I'm interested .. but don't know much about it all. I have a lot of questions though!!

"Don't compromise yourself. You are all you've got." Janis Joplin
Old 2012-12-26, 6:28pm
honorary bead lady

Learned a little at Glass Stock West it is fairly easy to just lap a window in beads, it does take time and some PPP
all the basic info is here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qO6KKP6qDw

http://www.inlandcraft.com/howto/lap...FlatLapHTU.htm
Old 2012-12-26, 10:38pm
I'm a lilac!

I wrote a simple tutorial that's up on the Ameritool site, if that helps at all: http://www.ameritool-inc.com/faceting-tutorial.htm

I'd be happy to answer questions, if I can.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-12-26, 10:51pm
Dynamic Duo

Kalera - EXCELLENT tutorial - thanks for the link-

Old 2012-12-26, 11:03pm

Kalera you are so generous!

Old 2012-12-27, 12:14am
I speak Murrini!

Oh man! I've been pining for a flat lap for about a year! I so want to take the plunge!! Kalera, thank you so much for that awesome step-by-step!

That Ameritool is gorgeous! I have been pricing these, and really can't afford to go quite that deep - at least to start out with. Can I ask for input from peeps who own some of the various brands? I hope that's not inappropriate to ask...

I might - if I save for a few months - be able to swing the Swap Top. Does anyone have one of those?

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2012-12-27, 5:26am

Location: Loving Bermuda, dreaming of Africa and looking forward to Maine!

Thanks Kalera!

Second De's question on other brand grinders .....!

"Don't compromise yourself. You are all you've got." Janis Joplin
Old 2012-12-27, 6:03am
Miss my BoBo Griff

De I had a swap top and didn't like it, would get the job done if you could get it set up right, but what a pita And twice as messy as it should be. Sold it after a few months, bought an ASW diamond which is a work horse, to bad I very rarely use it.

Old 2012-12-27, 6:10am

I have a swap top too, it's not the best but I find it ok for occasional use.

Sea Rocks Tutorial
- Ebook
- Follow me on
- My
shop
Old 2012-12-27, 12:33pm
I'm a lilac!

Thanks you guys! I would also love to hear about experience with other brands, I've only ever used the Ameritool.

Old 2012-12-28, 6:25am
Karen James

I just recently bought the All-You-Need Hi Tech Diamond flat lap and had to return it because the flange kept coming loose and the backing discs did not fit well at all. In fairness, it may have just been a defective machine. However, I didn't want to take the chance. So, I upgraded and bought the Ameritool...boy am I glad I did! You get what you pay for. It is a great machine. I am still in practice mode. I also need to say "THANK YOU KALERA"! Without your tutorial, which is fantastic, I would have been lost. It is worth saving your pennies and buying a good one so you don't get frustrated and give up.

Karen

Cricket, Mini CC, Devilbiss MC84 Oxy and NG
Old 2012-12-28, 12:56pm

The swap top is just bordering on OK like a C-. The motor is weak and the water feed is crappy. Unless they changed it, I got one 7 years ago or so. The diamond disks are good, no problems with them at all. I have a big homemade one, I just wanted a little one for smaller jewelry pieces and beads but it bogs down if you press too hard so takes longer than it should. I just brought the big one inside after modding it to fit under a worktable.
There are plans on Hisglassworks for a flat lap if you or someone you know is mechanically inclined.

Old 2012-12-28, 1:44pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJJames View Post
I just recently bought the All-You-Need Hi Tech Diamond flat lap and had to return it because the flange kept coming loose and the backing discs did not fit well at all. In fairness, it may have just been a defective machine. However, I didn't want to take the chance. So, I upgraded and bought the Ameritool...boy am I glad I did! You get what you pay for. It is a great machine. I am still in practice mode. I also need to say "THANK YOU KALERA"! Without your tutorial, which is fantastic, I would have been lost. It is worth saving your pennies and buying a good one so you don't get frustrated and give up.
Thanks Karen!

Old 2012-12-28, 10:28pm
I speak Murrini!

Wow, thanks for all the input. I'm still not sure what to do as far as an investment; frankly, what I'm looking to do is flat lap and polish murrini, so not sure I necessarily would need heavy-duty.

And, of course, I'm going to have to figure out how to manage handling small murrini slices which I'm pretty sure wouldn't work well trying to hold with the tips of my fingers with both hands! I suppose using dopping wax and a dowel might be an option...

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro

Last edited by theglasszone; 2012-12-29 at 2:51am. Reason: Oops...forgot a "p"...LOL!
Old 2012-12-29, 3:05am

How about dopping wax and a flat/sturdy board? Kill 25 birds with one stone, you know?

However, rather than polishing with the lap, at least on the later steps, you might consider a rock tumbler.

For investment's sake, I'd consider primarily the longevity of the disks.
Old 2013-01-05, 11:52am

Default cold work

bump