No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2016-02-02, 8:15am
Christine

Default Flower Tin Sheet

I would like to make bead caps with flower patterned tin sheet. Is there a place to buy it or do you need to search for English biscuit tins with the small flower pattern and use that?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2016-02-02, 9:26am
Master Procrastinator

I may have a couple if you want to PM me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2016-02-02, 10:09am

I've seen patterned sheet at Michaels.
Old 2016-02-03, 2:29am

I love those caps. I do have good luck finding the tins at Goodwill and Value Village.
Old 2016-02-03, 9:50am
Lifelong Student

I tried making some caps with the tins. How do you clean the cut edges without removing the decorative finish? Do you treat the edges so they don't stand out like a sore thumb?
Old 2016-02-09, 1:15am

You probably know this already but...If you don't already have them, go to Harbor Freight and get a round die set, a dapping block and a dapping (doming) punch) I live in Renton and that's were I went to get them. They are cheap there. Punch out some practice circles from waste sheet metal of your choice. Use one of those hole punch things that looks a little like a tiny stapler to make a hole in the center. Got mine at Beads and Beyond in Bellevue. Use thin leather or maybe one layer of denim to line the hollow to prevent scratching. Then dap them. Gently buff the edges with an emery board (like the ones for acrylic nails) Go to a beauty supply store. Do get more than one grit size. mediumish and fine. Don't bother with the really coarse ones. You need to do very little sanding. The cap will sit tightly to the bead. You just have to test out all the dapping holes to find out which work the best for your beads.

Last edited by della; 2016-02-09 at 1:52am.
Old 2016-02-09, 7:29am

http://www.harborfreight.com/9-piece...set-95547.html