Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > The Mall > Customer Service Kiosk

Customer Service Kiosk -- Questions for LE vendors.

Old 2011-07-08, 9:18am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Default Kevlar fingerless gloves?

Anyone carry kevlar fingerless gloves? I did a search but would rather buy from a vendor here.

I have a mini-CC and stuck the back of my hand directly in the flame trying to catch a falling rod (silver glass you know, precious stuff
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
) and yes, I am an idiot.

I'm a klutz and now that I've done it once I'd prefer never to do this to my hand again, it's not fun.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Any help would be appreciated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-07-08, 9:28am

We carry them in yellow and black!

Old 2011-07-08, 9:39am

We just started to carry these too (I know, they aren't on the web site ... yet).

$7.00/pr for the lightweight yellow ones.

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2011-07-08, 10:00am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Thanks for the quick response guys!

Old 2011-07-08, 10:42am
Macaw Mamma

Quote:
We carry them in yellow and black!
I bought the black from ABR.... awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

Torchin' with a Cheetah and a Bobcat on tanked O2
Fusin' in a Jen-Ken
Old 2011-07-08, 12:51pm

I have them. In black too! After sticking my hand in the flame not once but twice I thought they would be a good investment
Old 2011-07-08, 2:13pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
I have them. In black too! After sticking my hand in the flame not once but twice I thought they would be a good investment
Ordered some. I hear ya Marti! My hand is never gonna look the same. I think it's going to end up being a dark inverted triangle of the back of my hand. I guess it's a good thing I'm not that picky about scars and such. If it's completely ugly I'll just go get my first tattoo and cover it up.
Lord knows I don't think that could hurt any worse.

Old 2011-07-08, 2:23pm

First thing I learned in the hotshop was to let falling glass fall where it wants. Like you, I learned it the hard way
Let us know how the gloves work out for the torch. I havent considered wearing anything because I thought they might ruin my dexterity with the glass.
Old 2011-07-08, 2:35pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
First thing I learned in the hotshop was to let falling glass fall where it wants. Like you, I learned it the hard way
Let us know how the gloves work out for the torch. I havent considered wearing anything because I thought they might ruin my dexterity with the glass.
I'll post in here after I try them and let you know Larry. I really have to wonder where my mind is sometimes.
I need to go back to that 'healthy fear' mode I was in when I first started with glass.

Old 2011-07-08, 7:44pm
grama punky - class junky

helpful info..thans

Old 2011-07-08, 7:50pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

I'm glad it helped you Donna
I know it helped me!

Old 2011-07-09, 9:01am
KILN BUILDIN FOOL

I use them in the hot shop for doing prunts and bits and such, there good but when you get a hot spot they must come off fast

Mike

When you tell lie's about someone, well you get what you get.
Old 2011-07-09, 9:12am
MacGalver

Astrid, I did that same move one time (just once!). For me, it was so painful that I felt sure I would not do it again. I thought I was going to have a horrible scar, but actually it healed completely and left no mark at all. Hope yours does the same!

Jo

Old 2011-07-09, 11:36am

I have a pair that my son wears while torching, along with goggles and a large piece of suede on his lap. (I am a mean mom)
I have worn them for torching when it is cold and I just don't put my thumbs through the holes. I wear them more as sleeves pulled over the top of my hand.
Old 2011-07-10, 5:52am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
I use them in the hot shop for doing prunts and bits and such, there good but when you get a hot spot they must come off fast

Mike
Good to know Mike, thank you!

Old 2011-07-10, 5:54am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Astrid, I did that same move one time (just once!). For me, it was so painful that I felt sure I would not do it again. I thought I was going to have a horrible scar, but actually it healed completely and left no mark at all. Hope yours does the same!

Jo
Eh, I wish Jo, I don't think I'm going to be that lucky. It covers the entire back of my hand and it's a heart shape. I told the DH I'll just tell people I love lampworking so much I decided to burn a heart onto the back of my hand.
Time will tell if it will fade or not but thanks for the good wishes!

Old 2011-07-10, 5:56am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
I have a pair that my son wears while torching, along with goggles and a large piece of suede on his lap. (I am a mean mom)
I have worn them for torching when it is cold and I just don't put my thumbs through the holes. I wear them more as sleeves pulled over the top of my hand.
Better a mean mom than a burned son! I have the lap leather, just never thought I'd need gloves.

Old 2011-07-14, 5:28pm

I am wearing them in my profile picture.
Old 2011-07-14, 6:52pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
I am wearing them in my profile picture.
I got mine and made friends with them quickly. They really don't bother me or get in the way that much. I have to learn not to have the mandrel end touching my palm when I spin which I never realized I did until I began to wind up glove on the opposite end from the bead.
A minor adjustment all in all.

Old 2011-07-14, 7:18pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

another way to get over the spinning your glove on your mandrels, is to get longer mandrels, that way you wont be holding them in your palm. Sorry you burned yourself, I hope it heals fast!
Old 2011-07-14, 7:22pm
The Crazy One

Quote:
When I'm working big I wear the Kevlar sleeve's. There is a thumb hole, but no fingers. They don't diminish dexterity in any way. When my tattoo was fresh I work them all the time, they kept me in business!

Old 2011-07-14, 7:56pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
another way to get over the spinning your glove on your mandrels, is to get longer mandrels, that way you wont be holding them in your palm. Sorry you burned yourself, I hope it heals fast!
Thanks Pia, it itches like the dickens.

Old 2011-07-14, 8:00pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
When I'm working big I wear the Kevlar sleeve's. There is a thumb hole, but no fingers. They don't diminish dexterity in any way. When my tattoo was fresh I work them all the time, they kept me in business!

Thanks Loco, I checked them out. I think in this heat those would make me nuts though. I get up at 4AM and it's still 80 degrees down here and my shed isn't insulated so my AC unit is only minimally effective.

The gloves don't bother me for some reason. Maybe I'm channeling my inner June Cleaver. I may have to start wearing pearls to vacuum now (notably hilarious if you could see my disaster of a house).

Old 2011-07-14, 8:39pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Its healing, thats good... I know it will drive you crazy though...
Old 2011-07-14, 11:37pm

Quote:

That is what I am wearing. I also don't use the thumb hole. These things are so long, I can pull them up to my armpits if I want. Stylin!
Old 2011-07-19, 10:47am
The Crazy One

Quote:
That is what I am wearing. I also don't use the thumb hole. These things are so long, I can pull them up to my armpits if I want. Stylin!
You have the longer ones, mine come to just below my elbow. I do need to get some longer ones as I get gap burn on my arms.
Old 2011-07-19, 12:35pm
I'm meeeeelting

I wear these in the winter with long sleeved shirts.
I bought them because my fresh air venting was making my hands cold, but ended up wearing them all the time at the torch, because I've had a couple of nasty burns. They felt weird the first wearing or two, but now that I'm used to them I don't find that they interfere except for the occasion when the end of the mandrel gets stuck in the glove - downside of using 9" mandrels. I actually find it easier to continually spin mandrels with the gloves on. When I wear short sleeved shirts, I wear kevlar sleeves ( I have one pair with a thumb hole and another pair that has stitching between the base of the fingers, plus a tipless thumb) when wearing short sleeves.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2011-07-19, 1:08pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
I wear these in the winter with long sleeved shirts.
I bought them because my fresh air venting was making my hands cold, but ended up wearing them all the time at the torch, because I've had a couple of nasty burns. They felt weird the first wearing or two, but now that I'm used to them I don't find that they interfere except for the occasion when the end of the mandrel gets stuck in the glove - downside of using 9" mandrels. I actually find it easier to continually spin mandrels with the gloves on. When I wear short sleeved shirts, I wear kevlar sleeves ( I have one pair with a thumb hole and another pair that has stitching between the base of the fingers, plus a tipless thumb) when wearing short sleeves.
Those are the exact ones I got! I've made friends with them, I hardly notice I have them on now. I got a really bad scare with this burn. It's not pretty and the back of my hand will be discolored for awhile if not always but for awhile I thought I was going to end up with Freddy Kruger hand.
What scared me the most was the thought that a few seconds longer and I could have lost functionality and losing my hand/hands is something I have nightmares about. I worked in the burn unit at Parkland Hospital in Dallas years ago when I was a young nurse, I've seen what can happen.

Upside of that experience is I saved myself a trip to the ER.
You know how nurses are, why go to a Dr. and spend money if you can cobble yourself together at home, lol.

If nothing else maybe this post will make others aware that bad accidents can happen and you are always better safe than sorry.

Old 2011-07-19, 3:05pm
I'm meeeeelting

Because we're dorks, my friend and I have gotten into bedazzling our kevlar gloves with rhinestones and iron on patches.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2011-07-19, 5:39pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Because we're dorks, my friend and I have gotten into bedazzling our kevlar gloves with rhinestones and iron on patches.
Oh how perfect! I'll have to drag out my embroidery thread and personalize mine.