Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2011-12-26, 5:27pm

Default Sasha's Oil Slick

ya not the best pic sorry...the pinky color I believe is sasha's oil slick in the third heart...other two are oil slick over clear.

What am I doing wrong with this color??
Old 2011-12-26, 5:59pm
Marbles, dude, Marbles

Never heard of sasha's oil slick. Heart on right looks like NS Green Exotic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-12-26, 10:10pm
Save the Numbats

These colors are best worked oxidized, then reduced once most of the shaping is done. Or, encased in clear.

What you're doing wrong depends on what you're aiming to do. What do you dislike about your current results?
Old 2011-12-27, 8:57am
Always Improving

When we were at Glass Stock West they did a demo on TAG Oli SLick and the gentlemen that was doing the demo flash cooled the glass in an ICE CREAM FREEZER and then reheated it 12 or 15 times to get the great colors.

He said that flash cooling was the most importnat part of using Oil SLick. I bought 1/2 pound and have yet to use it, but it is on the list to try in 2012

Mike...
Old 2011-12-27, 10:02am

well....
is a piece made with these stuffs.

Is the stock photo.

And what I'm getting is a muddy brownish color...or that muddy pink.
Old 2011-12-27, 10:35am

0o flash freezing...wouldnt that shatter them?
Old 2011-12-27, 10:44am

flash cooling ... put in freezer but don't lay on floor ... prop up. I just take mine outside in the winter and way around. Does the same thing!!

I have a couple rods of this as well and have had no success with it. I even got tips directly from Paul at TAG and couldn't get any color. I gave up for the moment. Too much other glass to play with to invest the time right now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-12-27, 12:29pm

It was also discussed in this thread
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=187496
Old 2011-12-28, 2:22pm
Save the Numbats

It's a typical silver color with a few other things. Mainly, the silver. Work it like an Exotic, which is to say like Amber Purple - really hot, then do funky stuff to it for striking and reduction.
Old 2011-12-29, 9:34am

OK when I work amber purple... I turn up the oxygen...turn it clear while on the rod and as I'm shaping doing what ever I keep burning the haze stuff that comes back off. Final shape...let it cool a bit..reheat to burn off haze again. kiln. Most of the time get pretty good results.

This one...I do that I get muddy brown... Just keep the oxygen up and blast the wholly heck out of it..I get muddy green.
Old 2011-12-29, 4:40pm
Save the Numbats

Working this color is like an exotic, or a GA color like Amazon Night or an Exotic. Actually, the colors you have look a lot like Amazon Night or Exotic Carnival. They have a lot of silver, plus also some copper. It's the copper that reduces to pink in these formulas.

The next step would be to intentionally reduce the surface. That green stage is unencased, right? That would be a silver unstruck, copper well oxidized stage. You can get the rainbowy reduction effects over that stage pretty easily. It's possible to coax it out of the more reduced state, like when it looks salmony pink, but that's different.

What you'd want to do to the green stuff is let it cool down a bit, turn down your flame. Put the end piece into reductiony flame a bit on the tip, and heat it for a while. Check it out under a light. You should see a haze of funky colors develop. If not, try an even more gassy flame. Experiment with turning the knobs all over, letting the piece cool down, and reheating it in a reduction flame to see what happens.
Old 2012-01-01, 9:59pm

FWIW, the stock photo we use on our site shows the color struck ON the haze; Paul does not burn it off, he develops the haze, then cools, then strikes color on that surface.

The top piece was made by Sasha Hess, he's the one who did the demo with the ice cream freezer. He tends to work it super-hot with lots of oxy. He has also reported kiln-striking this color at times.

So, while it is in the Amber/Purple family it's not like your typical A/P. Looks like you are at least half-way there?

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2012-07-29, 2:29pm

i been looking for this glass does anyone know were i can find it
Old 2012-07-29, 2:32pm

It is TAG and is available directly from them or probably most of their distributors.

I just checked two of their distributors and didn't find it. Call or email TAG ... email jenny (at) taglass (dot) com

She can hook you up with it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenpnunn View Post

Last edited by MagpieGlass; 2012-07-29 at 2:36pm.
Old 2012-07-29, 4:11pm
Dakine glass man

The flash cool is key. But also the super heating. This color is basically the most saturated of the Mai tai series. I use a fan for the flash cool. Anyways get the haze burnt off then supercool it. You will get mocha color for the first few strikes flame or kiln so what I do is just put whatever I've made with this color in the back of the kiln for a week or two and then after about the 6-8th strike the purples will come. Another color I throw in the back is the Mai tai pink. Kind of a pain but the colors are so awesome I do still use them
Quite a bit. The other thing is to use with simax clear, schott produces milky tones with all striking colors

Lampwork by John Lindquist

Last edited by Maui Greenstone; 2012-07-29 at 4:13pm.
Old 2012-07-29, 4:24pm
Dakine glass man

Throw those pieces back in the kiln and you will be pleasantly surprised

Lampwork by John Lindquist
Old 2012-07-29, 4:41pm

thanks

john and magpieglass

Last edited by kenpnunn; 2012-07-29 at 4:45pm.
Old 2012-07-29, 8:33pm
Cave Dweller

Quote:
Sasha's Oil Slick available at Frantz

Old 2012-08-02, 10:56am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagpieGlass View Post
It is TAG and is available directly from them or probably most of their distributors.

I just checked two of their distributors and didn't find it. Call or email TAG ... email jenny (at) taglass (dot) com

She can hook you up with it!!
I was just there at TAG doing some major shopping they have Shasha's oil slick in odds and seconds if you want to save some money while expeirmenting with it
just give Jenny a call she is very helpfull and will often discount the glass.

#C-151
Old 2012-08-06, 12:43am

i talked to jenny she was great shes going to get me odds but she says shosa oil slick is pretty good as a second too.
Old 2012-08-06, 3:06am

Quote:
i talked to jenny she was great shes going to get me odds but she says shosa oil slick is pretty good as a second too.
Jenny will never steer you wrong.

I buy pretty much all my TAG glass directly from them.

Super helpful, great customer service and Jenny throws in free samples.

(I also "seem" to get better color from the rods purchased directly ... don't know why -- maybe it is all the good karma that comes with them).

Old 2012-08-07, 11:18pm

yes, Laura, that's it -- I wave my wand over each box before it leaves the factory. LOL!

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2012-08-08, 9:44pm

lol thats a nice wand to have