No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-02-19, 10:19pm
I practice alchemy!

Default Stringer block

For some reason the notion of making stringer scares me silly ( not that I'm not already silly...). I can make shells, hearts, and dotted beads of all kinds, but I freeze at trying to make stringer. I really want to pull some stringers this weekend and start using them, so how do I get over this ridiculous hang-up?

I'll have a full tank of propane, so I can't use low fuel as an excuse for not wasting torch time making stringer...Can I use some of my shorts to pull stringer?

Celeste
Old 2009-02-19, 10:27pm
Formerly known as LT

Just heat up a ball of glass and pull. Try black to start with, as you can really see the heat in it easily. Once you pull a couple you will get a feel for it and not be scared. If you really want great instructions get Corina's stringer control DVD.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-02-19, 10:33pm
Critter Mom

I was the same way when I first started lampworking, I'd do almost anything to avoid pulling stringers. But one morning I decided to just sit down and pull a few...one right after another and see if I could get over my "fear" of stringer pulling and it worked. Just take those shorts and fuse them onto the end of one of your clear rods or another short so you don't burn your fingers and start pullin'. I pull using a pair of needle nosed pliers...just my preference.

I wish I could get over my fear of making twisties...love the way they look but I hate making them. I know it's just a matter of practice, but then I've gotta figure out what to do with all those ugly twisties ??? I don't think I've made a purdy one yet ! I know, I know... PRACTICE.

Old 2009-02-19, 10:39pm
picking Job's Tears

Can't see why not, depending on how short your shorts are.

And, while not having pulled stringer at home yet, I did learn that in my class, and it didn't take that long. I wouldn't expect them to come out all nice and even, at least in my case, but if that's not a problem for you, I'd just try it. - Reminds me of my fear of crimping, that turned out pretty OK right from the start once I got over it. My very first crimps are hanging from my glasses right now. -

If you happen to have some ugly colors lying around, start with those .
I made my first set of beads (it actually came out vaguely a set) from the color rod that came with my HotHead kit that I liked the least, and other than the two beads that I turned into earrings I long since sold that set (un-annealed and all, told the customer that too, but she liked the color and wanted it anyway).

If it doesn't work out you can always go back to buying stringer.
-
-
-

Palms Etc. tropical seeds and cuttings:

HotHead on bulk propane and a Glasshive kiln
Old 2009-02-19, 11:16pm
I'm meeeeelting

Shorts are great for pulling stringer. If you melt the ends of two together to form a gather in the middle and then pull them away from each other, you can flame cut them apart in the middle and you'll be left with two stringers with handles. It's a great way to make very thin stringer, because you can grip the remaining pieces of rod when you use them, making it much less likely that they'll break on you.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2009-02-20, 7:31am
Disconnected

Felicia's tip is great! Stringers with handles are easier to manipulate AND you can still see what color they are, unlike a lot of colors when they are pulled.

Another thing that might help is to let your gather cool. I know my fear when I was first trying to do that is that I was pulling too fast and ended up with threads all over the place or a big nasty blob dropping furiously on the table. Now I count (up to 5, depending of the size of the gather) and then, pull. If it gets too cold to pull you can always melt it again, that's the beauty of it! I still don't have total control over the thickness but I'm getting there.

Also, pull only short stringers (not longer than 10 or 12"). There is no use for 5 miles-long stringers in my opinion, and you'll end up pulling more of them if really needed, which is always good for practice.