Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-12-27, 2:08pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Default Double Helix... What would you pick?

He's a question for all of you great flame workers: If you could choose 4 different D.H. glasses to buy, which ones would you choose and why?
(I got a gift certificate for Christmas)

Jack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-12-27, 2:12pm
Gimme that silver glass!

I would get the Psyche or Triton, Aurae, Ekho and Khaos . Some reducers, some strikers. And they are the easiest colors to use as well, with the best results!

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-12-27, 2:27pm
In search of her path....

id definately get some Aether clear and some Ekho not sure for the other 2

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2009-12-27, 2:53pm

Aion, Kronos2, Nyx, and Gaia work well for me.

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2009-12-27, 3:05pm
Tacki

TN2.1 for SURE, Aether for SURE... then, um. Hmm...

For another striker, either Luna or Khaos

Then I'd get a reduction, either Triton or Aurae. Probably Triton.
Old 2009-12-27, 3:34pm
maybe tomorrow

I looooove Aether, but if you want to try colors I'd go for Triton, Psyche, Aurae and Ekho. Also, check out the Garage for some pretty good discounts on seconds. I've gotten several, and haven't noticed any difference in how they work. They're just maybe off size/shape.

Old 2009-12-27, 3:54pm
Unmedicated since '62

aether and triton are the only ones i've tried so far - looooove triton

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2009-12-27, 4:19pm

I'd soooo shop in the garage http://www.doublehelixglassworks.com/thegarage.aspx You can get half pounds of DH for WAY cheaper, & who CARES if the rods are a slightly funny shape, or not quite the same length? I mean, seriously, don't most of us use them as stringer or dots, or try to make them last longer anyway? Right now they've got Luna2, Khaos & Terranova in there--I'm dying to try Pandora, but I don't have a kiln (yet) & it's a kiln striker, soooo...waiting on that one...but I've had decent luck with all of the other three
Check out Hayley's silver-glass exchange threads in the game room for loads of information on how to work the silver glasses--they're amazing!!

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-12-27, 4:22pm
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

If you want the biggest bang for your buck and lots of different options, I would go with:
Aurae, Psyche, Triton and Ekho

You can reduce them, you can strike Ekho, you can encase them all for a different effect or leave them without encasing. And they're all 4 pretty easy to use.

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2009-12-27, 4:24pm

Judith makes the most beautiful silver glass beads on the planet.

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-12-27, 4:35pm
Dichro Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Lutman View Post
I looooove Aether, but if you want to try colors I'd go for Triton, Psyche, Aurae and Ekho. Also, check out the Garage for some pretty good discounts on seconds. I've gotten several, and haven't noticed any difference in how they work. They're just maybe off size/shape.
I agree 100% with Toni!

Old 2009-12-27, 4:37pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Great suggestions so far guys!! I guess I should've mentioned this first... I have a lot of Ekho and Psyche, just a little Triton, and Kronos2. (Sometimes I can be a little absent-minded!!)

Jack

Old 2009-12-27, 4:38pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Khaos sounds good and so does TN2.1... I've never used those two before.

Jack

Old 2009-12-27, 4:39pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunamoonshadow View Post
I'd soooo shop in the garage http://www.doublehelixglassworks.com/thegarage.aspx You can get half pounds of DH for WAY cheaper, & who CARES if the rods are a slightly funny shape, or not quite the same length? I mean, seriously, don't most of us use them as stringer or dots, or try to make them last longer anyway? Right now they've got Luna2, Khaos & Terranova in there--I'm dying to try Pandora, but I don't have a kiln (yet) & it's a kiln striker, soooo...waiting on that one...but I've had decent luck with all of the other three
Check out Hayley's silver-glass exchange threads in the game room for loads of information on how to work the silver glasses--they're amazing!!
GREAT suggestion! I've had very good luck using the D.H. glasses that I have in my stash so far.

Old 2009-12-27, 4:40pm
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunamoonshadow View Post
Judith makes the most beautiful silver glass beads on the planet.
Aww, thanks - have to pass that one on.
I actually believe that Anouk makes the most beautiful silver glass beads on the planet.

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2009-12-27, 5:01pm
Storm Queen

Hello......Olympia Rain for storming!

Old 2009-12-27, 5:02pm
Formerly FishBulb

My first two DH glasses were Pandora and Luna 2. I didn't know Pandora was a kiln-striking glass; I'd spent that whole time thinking I was hopelessly inept. So stay away from it unless you have a kiln.

I like Triton, Aurae, Terranova for striking and Elektra. I also like Gaia but it's a bit tough to encase while keeping the strike/reduction.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2009-12-27, 5:04pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
Hello......Olympia Rain for storming!
I got some of that when I purchased your tut!! (Which I love!)

Thanks Amy

Old 2009-12-27, 5:14pm

Nyx, Aurae, ekho and TNT

Old 2009-12-27, 5:18pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&M View Post
I got some of that when I purchased your tut!! (Which I love!)

Thanks Amy
Alrighty then...Aurea because it webs and storms or even Aurea Light. I love Nyx even though it's not very good for storming but I do use it a lot on some of my focals and for layering. For striking I'd go with TNT and Khaos.

Old 2009-12-27, 5:45pm

I need to buy Amy's tutorial & then I need to buy Anouk's tutorial....and then I need Judith to WRITE a tutorial....(they're all on my "2010 wish list" for after I pay off my on-layaway-kiln....)

Old 2009-12-27, 6:48pm
MaximumAwesomeIdeaCount!

I love, love, love terranova 2.1...

and...

and...

--Joy

Use LEFRIEND as a 15% off coupon in my Etsy!

Old 2009-12-27, 7:59pm
Jacqueline Parkes

If you are on a hothead, psyche all the way!

Old 2009-12-27, 9:40pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Bee you tea full glass!!!

O.K., here's what I ended up with: I got 2nds of the Nova 2.1 and Khaos, (I've never used either one)plus some more Triton, and some Luna 2.1., which I've also never used before. How was that?

Thank you everyone!
Jack

Old 2009-12-27, 9:43pm
MaximumAwesomeIdeaCount!

Well done! Post some pics when you make your own "bee you tea full" glass!

--Joy

Use LEFRIEND as a 15% off coupon in my Etsy!

Old 2009-12-27, 10:55pm

Sounds a great choice to me!

I was going to suggest Psyche, Triton, Eckho and .... Gaia.

Old 2009-12-28, 6:25am
Lampworkaholic!

Pretty much any ones - you can't go wrong. Me, I'd probably try some of the new test batches. My favorite DH glass ever is the H200 series of test lots, esp. H229 and H299. I'm also a big Pandora fan, I love it on Copper Green and on Canyon de Chelly.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-12-28, 6:36am
Lampworkaholic!

Beautiful beads! I'd love to know if they are made with twisties or razor cuts ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemsinbloom View Post
If you are on a hothead, psyche all the way!

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-12-28, 7:06am
thecoralcat

Location: Upstate South Carolina about 20 minutes south of Asheville, NC

Definitely Psyche - Ekho - Electra - Terra 2.1 !!!

The Victorian Style Floral available now!

NEW TUTORIAL!
Joan - Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in glass!
Old 2009-12-28, 8:24am
Jacqueline Parkes

Thank you, razor cuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erose View Post
Beautiful beads! I'd love to know if they are made with twisties or razor cuts ...