Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-12-19, 12:27pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Nortel Minor Burner with a Devilbiss 5lpm concentrator and propane I keep at 4-5psi.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~

#M-191
Old 2011-12-19, 1:08pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco View Post
Currently I have a Mirage on liquid O2. I'm lusting after a Kobuki, but I don't see that happening anytime soon....

When choosing a torch you should take into consideration what type of O2 you have readily available to you and where you want your glass to go.

If it has to be concentrators, a cricket (my recommendation for a first torch), or a Scorpion if you want to go bigger. If your on tanked, well there are so many to choose from! DH has a CC that I use occasionally if I absolutely have to use certain colors and I avoid those colors most of the time!
Yup. Right on the money here.
Old 2011-12-19, 1:56pm
DSDWC

GTT Phantom and a Bethlehem Starfire.
Just switch from generator compressor 100psi system to Liquid Oxygen.I will never use anything else again in my studio. It has opened so many doors in the 3 weeks I have had it.

Old 2011-12-19, 2:37pm

Wow Trey..........Nortel Minor with 5 lpm oxy, works for me. I mostly make large encased florals & I work slowly.....

Kerry
Old 2011-12-19, 5:35pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

GTT Lynx and an EX-15/M-15 I have one of each but don't run them at the same time. One is for when Kim comes to torch with me.

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2011-12-20, 11:03am
KILN BUILDIN FOOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco View Post
Currently I have a Mirage on liquid O2. I'm lusting after a Kobuki, but I don't see that happening anytime soon....

When choosing a torch you should take into consideration what type of O2 you have readily available to you and where you want your glass to go.

If it has to be concentrators, a cricket (my recommendation for a first torch), or a Scorpion if you want to go bigger. If your on tanked, well there are so many to choose from! DH has a CC that I use occasionally if I absolutely have to use certain colors and I avoid those colors most of the time!
Show off.

When you tell lie's about someone, well you get what you get.
Old 2011-12-20, 1:00pm
The Crazy One

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLASSFREEK View Post
Show off.
Me? Never and you know that! Your just lusting after the liquid O2, so come on over and help me burn through that tank....
Old 2011-12-20, 11:43pm
Got space flowers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyuno View Post
My primary set-up is a Bethlehem Barracuda (love!) with 2 Regalias and a holding tank + propane but I also have a GTT Bobcat that I bought in the bulk buy over the summer that I've used on liquid oxy + propane. The Bobcat's a nice little torch, but I wouldn't give up my Cuda for it.

I'm not crazy about the Minor and like the Mini CC even less. It's all about personal preference and your work style, though. and I think work style develops based on what torch and setup you use, so you're likely to prefer something with more heat and power but similar flame characteristics than your current torch (i.e. do you favor a good pinpoint or a bushy, diffuse heat?).
Thanks for all the input folks!!
I like more a bushy flame like my Mini CC has got (used with my new arrived Hurricane). I also have a Bobcat and was working with it on three 5l concentrators. Not tried with the Hurricane so far.
I see a few are using the Bethlehem Bravo or Barracuda.... how is the flame? More pinpoint or bushy?
Any experiences with the Hurricane and the Lynx??
I will definitely check the Bethlehems

Karin

Old 2011-12-20, 11:44pm
Got space flowers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Cornette View Post
GTT Phantom and a Bethlehem Starfire.
Just switch from generator compressor 100psi system to Liquid Oxygen.I will never use anything else again in my studio. It has opened so many doors in the 3 weeks I have had it.

WOWWWW!!! Cool!!

Karin

Old 2011-12-27, 4:03pm

Santa just brought me a GTT Sidewinder with rocket petal. Upgrading from Minor Burner on a oxy-con. I'm gonna get a new m15 and hook it and the m10 together. Anybody had any experience with sidewinder? I hope I like it.
Old 2011-12-28, 6:41am
Run Free Sweet Boy

well what torch I use depends on what I am making. I have both a concentrator that I use for the minor or the cricket and tanks I use for the mid range and the carlisle CC, I also have some hand torches that I use at the lathe or the bench if I am assembling large complicated things.

I like the cricket for small to medium beads and fine detail, the minor is my most used torch for bigger beads and detail. the midrange gets used for pendants and smaller boro stuff and up to medium sized blown work. the carlisle gets hauled out when I am working big.

so to know what torch set up to reccomend depends a lot on what kind of work you want to do...

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2011-12-28, 5:46pm
Certified Glassaholic!

4-stud Scorpion on natural gas with foot pedal and one Regalia O2 concentrator. I imagine I could probably do with more O2 but right now the setup is more than sufficient for my needs

Old 2011-12-31, 9:25pm
www.createdfromfire.com

Default Sidewinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaDaizei View Post
Santa just brought me a GTT Sidewinder with rocket petal. Upgrading from Minor Burner on a oxy-con. I'm gonna get a new m15 and hook it and the m10 together. Anybody had any experience with sidewinder? I hope I like it.
I've had my sidewinder for about 3 months now and I love it. I run the center fire on 2 m15's and the outer on tanked.

.com

GTT Sidewinder, two M15 oxycon's (center fire), tanked (outer fire), Glasshive kiln.
Old 2012-01-01, 10:20am

I'm using a Mega Minor with a 5lpm oxy concentrator and 5 psi propane ran into the house. I don't seem to be getting enough oxy, and am planning on hooking up another one in a few weeks t see if I can get rid of some of the propane scum on 456 (rubino), 018 (light transparent brown) and some of the Double Helix that seem to require more oxy to strike.

Being so new, I certainly could be thinking the wrong way and would appreciate any and all feedback on this!

Barbara
6 months into this addiction

Barbara