LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-08-18, 2:42am

Unhappy Colour Theory in Designing Beads

Hi to all I will appreciate if u could help me about how I should apply colour theory while designing my beads. I am trying hard to make beautiful beads but I guess I have some problems with the colour combinations etc. I dont have any problems with the application of beadmaking techniques but no matter how my beads still dont look so pretty and i guess it's because i am weak in colour theory & maybe designing principles. Please help me... I am desperate...
Thx in advance
Old 2008-08-18, 4:58am
Who me?

Not that I am the greatest - I tend towared simple designs buy try searching google for art and fabric and look for color combinations you like and apply them to a bead.
Old 2008-08-18, 5:10am
Wait.....what?

I tend to look at fashion magazines and look at the color combinations in the ads. If the ad draws my eye to it, I try it in a bead.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-08-18, 5:41am

Margie Deeb has written a lot about color theory and beads (check out The Beader's Guide to Color). She works with seed beads, but the same principles apply to glass. We took a color wheel class from her a while back a got a lot out of it. I keep a color wheel in the studio and consult it for new combinations.

Robert
Old 2008-08-18, 8:15am
make beads not war

If I get stuck I look into this book, The Designer's Guide to Color Combinations by Leslie Cabarga. Inspirational design colors throughout the years.
Old 2008-08-18, 8:39am

Just a question. Why do you think your colors are not good? Are you not getting the look you want? Are your beads not selling if you sell? I make a LOT of florals so I take my colors from nature, but really when I'm making a bead, I just grab the rod I like.

I guess I have no technical color theory know how either

You should post some pictures of your beads so we can see them and maybe get a better idea.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-08-18, 9:20am
geekitude on two wheels

A little color theory goes a long way - any basic graphic design book will give you great background, and most instructional painting books will too. The most important basic ideas IMHO are complementary colors and warm and cold tones of a color. Sometimes colors that should look good together don't with beads, either because of chemical reactions or sometimes because the color s not opaque enough and muddies next to another color. The best way to figure it out is make little spacers of colors you aren't familiar with & see how they work. Or just suck it up for next time.
Old 2008-08-18, 9:59am

I am a people watcher. I pay attention to what people are wearing and how it looks. Sometimes the ideas come from strange things like a purse sitting on carpet beside some drapes. I keep a notebook with me and write down ideas. When I first try a color combo that I have not seen before I limit it to one bead. I let it get out of the kiln and check it out. If it is too ugly I keep it so that I do not make any more of them-if it is nice I leave it on my work table for my next torch session.
Have fun!
Beth
Old 2008-08-19, 1:29am

Aaaw thx to u all for your advices I will try them
And I am going to put some photos of my works and I really would appreciate if you could comment on them since your ideas & advices are very important to me.

with love from Istanbul
Old 2008-08-19, 2:29am
<---RamboPatootieSuperbun

This query reminded me of that really cool website that I think Kandice (?) first posted about. It's called Kuler and I just signed up. I really like playing around with kuler! I just made 2 color palettes. One is called Sonoma Mountain Summer and it is the most dominant colors from my mind's eye view, mentally looking over the golden hills and winding creek around my house. Really fun to play with. I definitely need to make some beads in my favorite color schemes. I could play with Kuler all day and never get any beads made!

Someone on LE (Kandice maybe?) posted pictures of beads she made from a kuler representation of a picture of the lush hawaiian mountainsides. I am not sure how to do that, but that's my next thing to figure out. I might have to get a flickr to be able to pick colors from a photo? Anyone else know?

Kelly

Old 2008-08-19, 7:02am
RaymondMillbrae

Hey folks/folkettes,

along the same lines that BeadKitty started...is there a book for lampworkers that deals with matching colors and different color combinations? (Kinda like THE BEADERS GUIDE TO COLOR is for bead weavers).

Is there a color book made specifically for lampworkers?

Thanks.

In Christ: Raymond
Old 2008-08-19, 7:25am
Burning through glass

I found a cool color generator (scheme generator) that's kinda fun to play around with. I use it for inspiration sometimes:
http://www.wellstyled.com/tools/colo.../index-en.html

Renee Wiggins

Changeable Jewelry, Murrini & MORE!

Custom Supplies:

& Fine Art Beads & Jewelry:

&
Old 2008-08-19, 7:26am
Crazy Snake Lady

I'm actually pretty good with color theory but sometimes not so good with glass color theory. I've chosen some nice rod colors but when I melt them together the result is dreadful! I've learned the hard way to keep it simple at least until I have more experience in how glass colors react together....
Old 2008-08-19, 8:29am
Glassy Lady

A color wheel is a very helpful tool. Look in color theory books for one or you can find them in art supply stores. Color wheels are a great tool for finding great new color combinations. Complementary colors are opposite each other on the color wheel and always look good together. Other groupings of color that work together are threes or fours, spaced evenly around the color wheel, they also look great together.

BHB/PANDORA EXCHANGE IN THE PATIO
Old 2008-08-19, 8:56am
Butterfly Rancher

The best book that I've found on color is Deb Menz's "ColorWorks". I like this one much better than the Beader's Guide to Color. Deb Menz is primarily a fabric artist but she goes through each step of color theory and shows samples of weaving, quilting, beadweaving etc. to illustrate the theoretical point. The book also has color wheels and color charts in the back to help with designing.

And I have not found a lampwork or fusing book that is primarily about color. I think it's a great tutorial option.

May 2014 -- Good-bye Florida and Hello Colorado
Old 2008-08-19, 9:13am

Dear Renee & Kelly, both web sites are really very cool thx
Old 2008-08-19, 2:38pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetAge Studio View Post
I found a cool color generator (scheme generator) that's kinda fun to play around with. I use it for inspiration sometimes:
http://www.wellstyled.com/tools/colo.../index-en.html

Renee Wiggins
Thanks for this one! I tried it out. I haven't been happy with many of the combinations I came up with for my beads, same as the original poster.

Well it turns out I just don't like a lot of the "basic" color combos!!! For instance, most complementary/Contrast combos are not ones I am fond of. This gives me hope that I don't totally suck at color theory.

Last edited by ziggys; 2008-08-19 at 2:40pm.
Old 2008-08-19, 3:47pm

This is my favorite site. http://www.colourlovers.com/

Minor with tanked oxygen.
Old 2008-08-19, 4:26pm
RaymondMillbrae

Thanks.

I liked the interactive color wheel that Reneee posted. (CLICK HERE).

And along those lines, I've also found another cool one that's extremley easy to use as well. (CLICK HERE).

So in our never-ending quest to better ourselves, we've now delved into the art of color co-ordinatinng and complimenting.

Oh yea...we've also purchased a cool little "pocket color wheel" to play with. (Got it on eBay for $4.50, shipped to our door).

FRONT

BACK

Thanks, guys.

Last edited by RaymondMillbrae; 2008-08-19 at 7:21pm.
Old 2008-08-19, 4:41pm
<---RamboPatootieSuperbun

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasshouse View Post
This query reminded me of that really cool website that I think Kandice (?) first posted about. It's called Kuler and I just signed up. I really like playing around with kuler! I just made 2 color palettes. One is called Sonoma Mountain Summer and it is the most dominant colors from my mind's eye view, mentally looking over the golden hills and winding creek around my house. Really fun to play with. I definitely need to make some beads in my favorite color schemes. I could play with Kuler all day and never get any beads made!

Someone on LE (Kandice maybe?) posted pictures of beads she made from a kuler representation of a picture of the lush hawaiian mountainsides. I am not sure how to do that, but that's my next thing to figure out. I might have to get a flickr to be able to pick colors from a photo? Anyone else know?

Kelly
I was wrong, it was Karolen who made the gorgeous beads from the hawaii picture. You can read all about it here, she was featured in a Kuler spotlight. I would like to figure out how to pull colors from a picture and create a palette for beads. Karolen did such a beautiful job!

Kelly

Last edited by glasshouse; 2008-08-19 at 4:46pm.
Old 2008-08-19, 4:51pm
RaymondMillbrae

Kandice,

I was looking through your website and was impressed.

Very pretty beads.

Old 2008-08-19, 5:26pm
Entropy increasing....

There are books you can buy on color combinations.

I have this one. I bought it for my husband. lol

I did a search on Amazon and there are like 4 pages of books of color combinations for beaders, quilters, designers. whatever.

http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=12191918...nations&page=1
Old 2008-08-19, 5:29pm
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandice View Post
My favorite color website is http://www.colourlovers.com/ - you can make your own palettes, and also see everyone elses. It's wonderful inspiration. Here's my own section of it - you can see my colors. http://www.colourlovers.com/lover/kandice
I get the feeling Kandice likes pink.
Old 2008-08-19, 7:15pm
Entropy increasing....

Ok Kandice this is a dangerous web site! Now I'm stuck on it and I can't get off.
Old 2008-08-20, 5:59pm

I just bought a book called "The Color Scheme Bible", which has palettes for home interior...but...it is INSPIRATIONAL...and could be applied to beads pretty easily...I think...I tried using a palette on some of my beads this weekend, and it was great...
Old 2008-08-20, 7:08pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rguttierrez View Post
This is my favorite site. http://www.colourlovers.com/
Yup, I was going to post this one too. I like it better that the Kuler site.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2008-08-20, 7:13pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by villa design View Post
If I get stuck I look into this book, The Designer's Guide to Color Combinations by Leslie Cabarga. Inspirational design colors throughout the years.
I like this book too. It has great pictures and color combos.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2008-08-21, 9:26am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandice View Post
My favorite color website is http://www.colourlovers.com/ - you can make your own palettes, and also see everyone elses. It's wonderful inspiration. Here's my own section of it - you can see my colors. http://www.colourlovers.com/lover/kandice
I don't think Kandice has ever made a bead I didn't want to LICK!!
and her own site (coloraddiction--in her siggy line) has FABULOUS advice on some of her favorite individual glass colors, how they behave, & some of the glass that they're "friends" with as well!
~luna

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2008-08-21, 10:17am

One thing to consider on color: are you doing "additive" color mixing or "subtractive" color mixing? This is a concept in the physics of light and color -- oil painting, for example is subtractive, because the paints are opaque. You essentially subtract light from the color that you cover with opaque paint. But theater lighting (and stained glass too) is the classic example of additive color mixing - where the colors are transparent and they add to each other, or mix. So with transparent glass colors you are doing additive color mixing, and they better look good passing through each other (layering Rubino over EDP for example is additive.) With subtractive color mixing, using opaque colors, the color wheel info may work better. There you only need to worry about glass color cross-reactivity, as someone above mentioned. Just my 25 cents!

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2008-08-21, 10:27am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondMillbrae View Post
Thanks.

Oh yea...we've also purchased a cool little "pocket color wheel" to play with. (Got it on eBay for $4.50, shipped to our door).

Thanks, guys.

Thank you! That is the exact color wheel I was going to try and hunt down at the stores. I like the idea of having it delivered to my door for $4.50! I bet the stores don't sell it that cheap!