Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-07-18, 10:00am
Queen Tut ;)

Question New clear from Frantz?

Has anyone tried the new clear from Frantz yet? 891004

From what I understand, it's made from the same formula as veto crystal clear. I wasn't sure if anyone has tried this new clear to compare? Or done any compatibility tests with silver glass?

I don't mind trying some and testing, but I figured I'd save on shipping costs if it's really awful. I haven't seen a thread on this yet, so please excuse if there is one and I've missed it.

Jenne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-07-18, 2:11pm
Glass-aholic

004 was always the # before. I don't know good luck though! I gave up a long time ago. I just order cheap clear and work cool.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2012-07-18, 5:40pm
BeadsonCypress

yeah, this VS seems to be the "other" company making glass in Italy using the Vetrofond formulas. Un-named SECRET company.....WTH??? Why the big secret. If the glass is as good as the Vetrofond originals we want to buy it!!! Sure would be nice to know who it is so we know what we are buying! (or is it being kept secret so we can't comparison shop) and will be and "exclusive" through Frantz?

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2012-08-03, 12:38pm
...displaced ocean lover

Bump...did anyone find out any more info on this?

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Now featuring SOCK MONKEY AND SEA TURTLE beads!

....and now with Hot Steeeeenking Peppers!!!

...and Muggle Made Sorting Hats
Old 2013-07-15, 10:41pm
Naysayer

Question

....and bump again

but I mean really, there is 0 talk about it even with 79999 threads on clear.

anybody?
Old 2013-07-16, 7:35am
Tweedle Dumb

I heard the word "clear" and felt a need to come in and check on the conversation. Since no one has asked what their favorite clear is, I deem this discussion worthy of my response...

I have not tried that new one. I use super clear, regular clear, Aether and Zephyr. Mostly just the cheap clears.

I don't like the secret behind the VS stuff.

Carry on.

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2013-07-16, 11:53am
Slogan Challenged...

I've asked about that clear before, but didn't get much of a response either. I think that when it was introduced that Frantz sent out free 1/4 bundles with orders, but I haven't seen many examples. Perhaps no one really used it much or it got mixed in with the rest? He should do another bundle, as I think some of us are curious to try it.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2013-07-16, 5:51pm

I have 1/4lb of VS Clear ....but haven't tried it yet. I'm so addicted to Aether that I am afraid to try anything else! I need to just dive in and pray for no cracking.

Old 2013-07-16, 6:05pm
Marla McCoy

On the subject of clear - I have been using ASK clear from Arrow Springs, I really like it but am sure they will run out eventually... However, I have looked and looked for Aether and cannot find a vendor who sells it... Can someone point me in the right direction?

Marla : )
Old 2013-07-16, 6:58pm
Senior Moment

It's a Double Helix Glass Marla. They have it on their website (doublehelixglassworks.com).

Alli

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2013-07-16, 11:07pm
Naysayer

ok well, I think I'll buy some to try, it is half off. If it is indeed the old vetro formula I'll be happy I think.....maybe
Old 2013-07-17, 4:13am
Melody of Glass

I recently made the mistake of trying some Zephyr. I think I'm in love. I will miss my cheap clear but only briefly when I pull out the credit card to pay.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program....

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2013-07-17, 7:02am
I like to melt things

ASK Clear is not Double Helix, it is Kugler. You can buy Kugler Clear from vendors that sell the Kugler Beadmaking 104 line of glass. Hot Glass Color in Seattle and Artistry in Glass in Ontario both carry it.

VS stands for Vetreria Soiva. It's not a secret, there's just not much to say about it since all they've gone to market with so far for us is the Clear. I imagine more colours are forthcoming, and I don't think we need to turn it into a big drama by saying it's really 'secret'. In my opinion, the clear is no better than and no worse than basic Vetrofond and Effetre clear, depending on the rod. Some of the stuff I got is fairly scratched up and therefore a little scummy, some of the stuff I got is beautiful.

-
-
Old 2013-07-17, 9:19pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelanieG View Post
ASK Clear is not Double Helix, it is Kugler. You can buy Kugler Clear from vendors that sell the Kugler Beadmaking 104 line of glass. Hot Glass Color in Seattle and Artistry in Glass in Ontario both carry it.
She was talking about Aether, not ASK.

Old 2013-07-17, 9:54pm
I like to melt things

Oops, sorry about that Maria! I misread it. Thanks for straightening me out, Kandice.

-
-
Old 2013-07-18, 6:57am

I tried it when they were sending out some free with orders. I'm glad it was free. Maybe I got some bad rods but it bubbled and scummed something awful.

Tags
clear glass, frantz