No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2005-12-17, 11:19pm
Floral Obsessed

Default Hideous Dungeon... of Loooove

(The "of love" must be pronounced in a extra-creepy Isaac Hayes voice).

Well... Here it is! Someday we will do something about the walls... and get a proper table... and work on our baffles.... And the lighting... And the whole "ambiance" thing. But, aesthetics aside, this is the best set-up we've ever had. I feel comfortable about the safety in terms of ventilation and gas containment (note the lock on the gas valve!). You can see the make-up air vent in the second picture - it looks even bigger than it is because of its positioning, but it' 12" exterior diametre, 10" interior... pretty huge! We have lots of ideas on how to improve this eventually, but since we have many many, many more pressing issues with the house, beautifying the studio is a low priority. Safety issues are another story, and I HOPE we've got everything covered here. Biggest safety issue right now is the non-flameproofness of the worksurface and the plywood wall covering, but the flame is really far from either of them and I don't think flying hot glas will do more than scorch it. I do have a fire extinguisher (not visible in the picture because it's by the door) and a CO/Fire detector. If there's any safety issues I've missed, let me know!

I've included a pic of what the corner was like before we added the table, ventilation, gas and gear, and various degrees of close-up from today as well as an underwater pic of some recent florals. I haven't installed any photo-editing software on our new computer so these are very badly edited with Paint. So, um... enjoy!!!

-Heather
Attached Images

Last edited by Heather/Ericaceae; 2005-12-17 at 11:27pm.
Old 2005-12-18, 2:19am
boro color bender

That is a little creepy. Some blood red paint dripping down the wall would add to the horror effect. I love it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2005-12-18, 10:04am
Floral Obsessed

Heh heh... The reason that one of the plywood panels has been pulled off the insulation framing is that my father, when he came out to help us with some renovations last summer, was CONVINCED that there would be a "secret door" behind there. (I was convinced he was nuts, and of course I was right - though this was before Tink posted about her secret rootcellar!) It is an old house (1909) but I've never had any creepy feelings from it. The ugly cement wall had been covered by a mouldy cabinet when we moved in, which we've since removed. There had been a lot of water damage, but we spent most of the summer working on drainage on that side of the house so hopefully we won't have problems anymore. Glad you love it, Brent! Our living room area is quite lovely, just so you don't think the whole place is a dump.

Smiles - Heather
Old 2005-12-18, 11:36am
Gentleman of Leisure

hmmm....No chains, manacles or whips.....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2005-12-18, 3:29pm

or.. RUBBER! Where's the RUBBER?
LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M.
hmmm....No chains, manacles or whips.....

Dale

Thank You to ALL of my friends
who have journeyed
With me thru my elbow injury
and recovery!

:
Old 2005-12-18, 5:18pm
Floral Obsessed

There's chains - they're holding the exhaust fan to the subfloor! See picture 4? -Heather