Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-09-14, 12:22pm

Unhappy Nortel Minor/DeVilbiss Oxycon/Household Propane

Hello,

First of all I want to say how great it is to be a part of this forum! I've read so many helpful things and I really appreciate everyone's time in answering so many different questions!

So, I took a class in June and loved what I learned. I have a studio set up for mosaics and glass fusing. I decided I wanted to add a lampworking station in my studio and set about getting all the things I would need to melt glass.

Here it is September and I have yet to turn on my torch. I have a Nortel Minor burner, a Devilbiss Oxycon and just last week had a line run from my outside propane tank (which powers our furnace - only our furnace everything else is electric). I also had a very nice hood installed and vented outside.

I'm hung up on connecting the propane hose to the propane line (which is secured nicely to the wall right above my bench). Do I need a regulator? I know that the pressure is fairly low but from what I've read here I'm hopeful my torch can run on the household pressure.

If anyone has a similar set up and can offer some advice I would be grateful! I'm so anxious to get started but after all I've gone through to get to this point I don't want to be stupid and overlook something that could be dangerous.

Thank you very much for any advice!

Cherie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-09-14, 12:30pm
ManBearPig

You shouldn't need a regulator.

Old 2009-09-14, 3:23pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Typically there is a regulator at the propane tank. This reduced tank pressure to a pressure that usable for home appliances.... Generally about 1/4 to 1/3 psi... Approximately the same as natural gas supplied to home appliances....

The pressure should be ok for use with your torch, without having a additional regulator...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2009-09-14, 3:35pm

Thank you guys for your replies!!!

Old 2009-09-17, 12:48pm
Daydream Glass

I have almost the same setup - Nortel Minor (well, minor side of a RedMax), Devilbiss MC84 and natural gas. The household pressure is fine as it is.
Congratulations, tankless is great!