Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-03-16, 10:58pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

I just got mine and have four new BHB's for sale already! I love it. Thanks Dave.

I also got the electric cutter from Harbor Freight, and man, does that save some time! No manual tube cutting any more!

Jack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-03-17, 5:36am

"Dave's support was great too. I received quick responses to my questions."

How did you get a quick response? I emailed over two weeks ago inquiring about ordering more centering pegs and flaring tips. Have not yet heard a word. I think service after the sale is just as important as before.
Colleen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-03-22, 9:11am

Should I be concerned?

I placed my order begining of March and I sent an email wanting to add on. I've also already paid and haven't gotten a single email or response to the addition I made.

Is this normal?

"She said she cried at least once a day, not because she was sad, but because the world is so beautiful and life is so short" Brian Andreas
Old 2010-03-22, 10:53am
Give to receive...simple.

Lisa Don't be concerned, I did the same and all arrived together. All I did was pay for the add on and I added a note to Dave on my second order to alert him that I now had two orders , gave the previous order number and the new one and asked him to please ship the two orders together.

I didn't get a reply email but knowing how busy Dave is I trusted my orders would arrive together, and they did!

If you are concerned perhaps you could send him an 'heads up' email with the order numbers and your name as a reminder that you would like to have the two orders shipped together... That is what I did as well...I put 'Heads up abut my orders'' on the subject matter..

I hope this will be of help..

You will love the Impress! Coring beads with this tool is a breeze...

I love it so much I ordered another for backup..

Happy foot tapping while you wait for your delivery..ahahh..... How do I know?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaAF View Post
Should I be concerned?

I placed my order begining of March and I sent an email wanting to add on. I've also already paid and haven't gotten a single email or response to the addition I made.

Is this normal?

Old 2010-03-22, 12:57pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simbasmom View Post
Your tube fits over the centering peg, bead goes over the tube.....the flaring die is directly above the centering disc...it is what comes down and flares the tubing.

Colleen
Sorry, No, that's not right. The thing you're describing I simply call the cone. It is used for all sizes of tubing.

Flaring Dies are very similar to centering pegs. In fact just think of them as centering pegs for small diameter tubing. They screw into the bottom post just the same as centering pegs do. The only difference is they also have their own flat surface for forming the tube, (the same function as the bottom post does for larger tubes) and they also have their own centering pin as well.

I had to do this because the small diameter tubes have an ID that is smaller than the hole that the regular centering pegs screw into.

I'll try to get a picture up soon. But for now, just think centering peg for small tubes. In fact I think I will change the name to that to avoid all this confusion. I get a lot of emails about that.

Dave

Old 2010-03-22, 1:51pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simbasmom View Post
"Dave's support was great too. I received quick responses to my questions."

How did you get a quick response? I emailed over two weeks ago inquiring about ordering more centering pegs and flaring tips. Have not yet heard a word. I think service after the sale is just as important as before.
Colleen
I will _never_ intentionally take two weeks to answer an email.

EVERYONE - If you don't get a response in 24 to 48 hours, something is wrong. Please just email me again. I won't bite. Promise. I typically respond the same day. SOMETIMES I don't email on weekends, but I usually do.

I also feel service after the sale is important. If you don't get the service you deserve, please tell me about it.

If you are still l needing a response, please re-send your email. I don't have anything from you re flaring dies.

Dave

Last edited by DaveF; 2010-03-22 at 2:01pm.
Old 2010-03-22, 2:24pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaAF View Post
Should I be concerned?

Is this normal?
Hi Lisa,

Please email me again. I'm pretty sure which Lisa you are, and I didn't get an email from you about add-ons. I just tried to call you. Left a message.

I had intermittent email problems for a short time a while back, so a couple of you might have had emails lost in the ether.

Dave

Old 2010-03-23, 1:48pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Hi Dave!

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2010-03-24, 12:55pm

Default Flaring Dies and Centering Pegs Pictures

Here are pictures of a Flaring Die and Centering pegs.

The Flaring Dies are almost like centering pegs, with the additional flat surface surrounding the centering pin. The tubing is pressed against this area. This is needed because otherwise it would be getting pushed into the edge of the threaded hole in the bottom post.

Flaring Die for 5/32 OD X 1/8 inch ID tubing

Centering Pegs Left: 6 mm OD X 5.0mm ID
Right: 'Fits Pandora' 5.08 mm OD X 4.37 mm ID

If these were made small enough for the 3/32, 1/8 and 5/32 inch tubes, the head would be smaller than the threaded shaft, and the head would also be smaller than the screwdriver slot! That's why I make the Flaring Dies.

Old 2010-03-27, 4:57pm

I received mine yesterday, one month after ordering. I think that's fine, since Dave has been telling us approx how long it will take, and the fact a lot of us jumped in just before the price increase.

I like the new design; you don't have to remove the upper cone and threaded shaft to make centering peg changes, and everything aligns automatically! That's a great design improvement. In fact, with the small flaring dies, you don't even need to remove the bottom post; the flaring dies unscrew with a small wrench.

Thanks, Dave, and keep up the good work!
Old 2010-03-27, 6:01pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&M View Post

I also got the electric cutter from Harbor Freight, and man, does that save some time! No manual tube cutting any more!

Jack
Ohhh....me likey.

Old 2010-03-27, 6:03pm
I love glass

I love my impress bead liner. I have a Jim Moore bead liner also and I have so much problems getting the tubing even on both sides. The cube bead on the left was cored with the impress bead liner, the bead on the right was cored with the Jim Moore bead liner. They are both nice machines but I love the way the impress bead liner domes the tubing. This was on my first time and I didn't even screw it up. The Jim Moore tool took me some practice and I still mess beads up. I guess it depends on what works for you.
Attached Images

Old 2010-03-27, 8:01pm

Hi Dave,

I PM'd you with some questions. I can't wait to hear back form you.

Old 2010-04-08, 10:52am

Beginning Tuesday April 12, 2010 at 12:01 AM
The price of the IMPRESS will increase to $125.00.

I shipped about 30 Impress orders this last week, and am pretty well caught up. This is the last chance to buy an Impress at the introductory price.

All sizes of BeaDreamers are in stock. I expect these to sell out quickly!!! Order asap if you want tools quickly from stock. The production cycle takes around 3 to 6 weeks.

Regards,
Dave

Old 2010-04-13, 12:07am
><>

Hi Dave,
Thank you so much for all your patience with my order tonight and for the great conversation!!!!
"In the whole world I have no twin, and my face is not me. I am someone under the skin others see only in glances."
"I can live with not being popular,but not with compromising my beliefs in order to fit in." jh
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil." Thomas Mann
Old 2010-04-18, 6:51pm

I just wanted to thank everyone for their input. I have always loved the professional look of the bead coring. I placed my order a few days ago for the Impress and can't wait. I believe I ordered everything else I need and again, appreciate all the info

Old 2010-04-18, 7:07pm
Noobie

I also put in a order...Im still having a hard time knowing what mandrels to buy that will go with what tubing sizes..I read that there are recommendations on where to go and what to get in the instructions with the impress..I hope so...if not, then Ill figure it out
Old 2010-04-18, 8:02pm
Forever

I just ordered the bead liner, but the price still said $85.00. Do I need to pay additional. let me know.
Old 2010-04-19, 6:45am

Cherie,

Based upon reading this thread and using the instructions on the impress, here's what I decided to order for supplies for the impress:

1. 3/16 mandrels(bundle of 10 for $50) from http://www.zooziis.com/316mandrelsbundleof10.aspx

2. Sterling Silver Tubes from www.ijsinc.com part #STTB27x5mm. Recommended by Dave on his FAQ's page. I got 3 ft at $16.20 per foot. From their Home page, select the Catalog button, then under Guests, select Access our Public Catalog, enter in the above part number in the search box, change the unit to Ft/Yd.

3. Special Peg for 4.37 mm ID tubing from Art In the Round, You'll find that peg in the drop-down list under centering pegs on the Silver tools page of his site. http://host.pappapak17.com/~artinthe...d-Supplies.htm

4. Dave's Deburing Tool http://host.pappapak17.com/~artinthe...d-Supplies.htm

5. The electric cutter from Harbor Freight http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=42307

Apparently you can get an inexpensive non-electric cutter from a home hardware store instead.

Ok, I think that's all I ordered for a basic set up and I hope that helps.

Old 2010-04-19, 6:51am

Ive received my beadliner today, had to pay 40$ to customs :S

Im not able to do the things you people are achieving, first my tubing doesnt flare straight, allways going one side or the other, and even when Im able to get it next to the bead, when looking through the sides it doesnt look even.

I will probably post some pictures of what happens to me but first I have one question to everyone, do you flare it till the bead doesnt move? or do you put some glue on the tubbing before flaring? or do your pandora beads all move (the silver core is not fixed, the bead can roll around in it)?

Thank you so much

ALL MY GALAXY MURRINI, ROSE MURRINI AS WELL AS MY NEW TUTORIAL ON MY ETSY SHOP

|
|
|
|
Old 2010-04-19, 11:09am
Noobie

Thank You so much, that helps alot!!
I thought I knew of what I needed to order...(was just confused about sizes) and Im glad you mentioned the special peg I needed...I need to go back and order now

Quote:
Originally Posted by azschneid View Post
Cherie,

Based upon reading this thread and using the instructions on the impress, here's what I decided to order for supplies for the impress:

1. 3/16 mandrels(bundle of 10 for $50) from http://www.zooziis.com/316mandrelsbundleof10.aspx

2. Sterling Silver Tubes from www.ijsinc.com part #STTB27x5mm. Recommended by Dave on his FAQ's page. I got 3 ft at $16.20 per foot. From their Home page, select the Catalog button, then under Guests, select Access our Public Catalog, enter in the above part number in the search box, change the unit to Ft/Yd.

3. Special Peg for 4.37 mm ID tubing from Art In the Round, You'll find that peg in the drop-down list under centering pegs on the Silver tools page of his site. http://host.pappapak17.com/~artinthe...d-Supplies.htm

5. The electric cutter from Harbor Freight http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=42307

Apparently you can get an inexpensive non-electric cutter from a home hardware store instead.

Old 2010-04-19, 5:25pm

Tiago,
If the bead is spinning on the tubing, your hole is too large for the tubing that you are using. What size mandrels are you using and how thick is your bead release?

As far as being even, are you flipping the bead and tubing frequently while flaring?

Have you read Dave's pointers?

Kay
Old 2010-04-20, 3:52pm
Noobie

Would anyone know if the copper tubing that you can buy at home depot is the same as being used for capping beads? I believe it is used for plumbing? If not, where do u shop for your copper tubing?
Old 2010-04-22, 5:33am
Noobie

Found someone on esty who sells the copper tubing

http://www.etsy.com/shop/ginkodesigns
Old 2010-04-22, 8:58am
Shelarious

Ansley, I just wanted to let you know that your post with links was super helpful. Thanks!

Old 2010-04-22, 2:33pm

Oh, so glad to help So far I have the SS tubes, donut cgbeadroller for pandora. So hopefully everything else will get here soon and I can try coring some beads! I just ordered some brass and copper tubes from http://www.etsy.com/shop/ginkodesigns. Thanks Cherie for listing the link.

Old 2010-04-22, 5:44pm
Noobie

Great minds think alike

I also have the donut beadroller and I ordered the disc beadroller..Im not sure how they will look or how well coring will work with the discs...but they are my favorite shape...today anyhow

Quote:
Oh, so glad to help So far I have the SS tubes, donut cgbeadroller for pandora. So hopefully everything else will get here soon and I can try coring some beads! I just ordered some brass and copper tubes from http://www.etsy.com/shop/ginkodesigns. Thanks Cherie for listing the link.
Old 2010-04-24, 5:09am

Too funny!! I needed the tubing as well so when I read this the other day I wrote it down. This morning, BEFORE coffee, I went to the site and went to order the tubing...except I didn't. I read the "ss" as stainless steel (doh)
Now that I know it IS sterling silver, I'll go back and order it.

Duane

Quote:
Cherie,

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2010-04-24, 6:26am

That's so funny Duane, but good you figured it out and didn't order something that you really didn't want or could use. So far I've received my pandora beadroller, ss tubes, and my 3/16th mandrels which are dipped and ready My only issue right now is while waiting I've got so many designs in my head and I don't know which one to choose I also just received a bunch of new glass and it's hard to pick. I think I'll reorganize my glass (so overdue), write down my ideas, have a glass of wine, and smile awhile

Old 2010-04-27, 9:07am
Covered in glitter

Dave I ordered on the 8th and haven't heard from you at all. I've sent a couple of emails. Can you check as to what's going on please? Thanks! Can't wait to try doing this.

Deb Kauzlarich

Edited to add: I heard from Dave in 2 emails this evening and it's on the way.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche

Last edited by debkauz; 2010-04-28 at 7:31am.