LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-05-21, 9:26am

Default Kiln probs - need a Digital Controller - any suggestions?

I have an AIM kiln that has just an infinity dial switch and analog pyrometer.

Just this past week or two I've been getting a lot of thermal cracking, and I want to get a programmable digital controller (its about time, after 7-8 years!). Arrowsprings has one for about $350, but I was wondering if there are any good ones for less $$, without having to build one? I'm not very handy.

Also, would I just leave the existing infinity switch on the kiln or would it have to be removed?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-05-21, 10:46pm

The one Arrow Springs has for $350 looks like a very good one. I had my DH build one for me, and it's fabulous, but even as handy as he is he took a long time to build it because he wanted to make sure all the connections were secure and everything was right. Worth waiting for? Yes. But if I had known it was going to be that involved I would have spent more time saving up for one.

When you get it, all you have to do is plug your kiln into it and turn the infinite switch onto the maximum setting.

Good luck!

-Diane

My Facebook business page:

GTT Bobcat or Carlisle Lucio on an Integra 10
(and sometimes I pull out my HotHead!)
Old 2009-05-22, 6:35am
Gentleman of Leisure

Here is source for a economical kiln controller...

http://www.glas-kats.com/kilns/controller.htm

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2009-05-22, 7:00am

The one from AS is THE BEST!!! I have had mine forever, maybe 10 years, and have never had a problem with it where I had to send it in - no new relays or anything. It is very well made. The only problem I have ever had is when it lost the program due to a lighting strike and it had to be reprogrammed, but there are instructions on the website for that. The peace of mind it gives me, plus the many, many options with the number of segments it allows is wonderful and it's very easy to use. Yes, it is pricey, but to me it is well worth it.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2009-05-22, 10:55am

I have two Bartlett three keys that I really like.

Old 2009-05-22, 2:58pm

I got a controller from John James - on LE as Hotasstools I think! His prices are very reasonable. My friend and I each got one and we got a small discount

I can't say enough about how attentive he was when I was having a programming problem - he didn't stop until we had it right. Wonderful service.

Old 2009-06-03, 12:02pm

Quote:
I can't say enough about how attentive he was when I was having a programming problem - he didn't stop until we had it right. Wonderful service.
Thank you for the kind word.

If you only need a set point controller. I have single set point controllers for $200 shipped and with warranty. Single set point you set it for the temp you want it to hold at and it holds it there.

I also have 30 step programmable controllers that can be programed to ramp and hold at different temps and times. They are $320 shipped and warranty.