LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-10-19, 5:15pm

Default Got me some Vetro!

Okay, so I jst recieved my very first online order of glass. I ordered about $45 of verto from Mike's 60% off sale. It arrived today. I am so excited, and I can't wait to get started!!! AND, there was candy in the box. Not just any candy, oh no. There was chocolate! Man was it good! I do have question, though. I ordered some "crystal clear 17-18 mm rods. I had no idea 17-18 mm meant like 3/4 of an inch! I wasn't payoing very much attention I guess. Anyhow, Can I melt rods that thick on my HH? I mean, wow, those bad boys are huge! Also, I got some odd colors: Jupiter Lichen Dk Odd, Cosmic Storm, Green Olive, Lichen Odd pastel. Any tips on getting the most out of these great colors?

I also got some Effetre Copper Green Red. Any tips on that one? I am still new, so I don't want to waste my new great glass. Thanks ya'll!!!
Old 2009-10-19, 5:17pm
Dangerous Woman

It may take forever to melt those big rods on your HH. How much did you get? I use big rods maybe I can buy them off of you -- or trade for other glass?

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2009-10-19, 5:19pm
Wahwahbabypants

Fanny I laughed when I read your post. Why? 'cause my first noobie order of glass contained MONSTER green rods. I didn't pay attention either. But you'll only make that mistake once!

I might go Crazyif I don't go Crazy Tonight.
Old 2009-10-19, 5:23pm

I got 1.40 lbs. There are three rods. I got them for 60% off. I would much rather trade than sell. I can always use more glass! Whatcha got?
Old 2009-10-19, 6:38pm
Tweedle Dumb

Fanny you can melt them! I made implosion pendants all the time on my hothead using 14-15 mm those extra mm wont make much difference. Do a search on Implosion techniques they are simple once you get the hang of it. they are off mandrel so they are a bit awkward to work until you get the process down, but then it will be second nature. You CAN do it on a hot head. I actually prefer to do my implosions on my hot head, it has a more controlled cooler flame, that allows a slower more controlled implosion!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<Click For My Latest Murrini!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2009-10-19, 6:40pm

lol I have the big rods of clear too and would also be willing to trade for other glass. Fanny gets first dibs though since she asked first lol! Seriously, I can't use it on my hothead either and would love to get rid of it.

Fanny I think some of those colors you have to mush up really well to see all the colors in them. At least that's what I was told. Have fun!

Old 2009-10-19, 6:59pm
Life is change. Love it

I would trade the clear if I was you. I don't have much advice on the glass you bought, I am just packaging a lot of my Vetro odd lots up for sale in the garage

ETA Next order you might want to consider some CIM colours. They have the most beautiful glass colours and are wonderful to use.

Last edited by Carolyn M; 2009-10-19 at 7:02pm.
Old 2009-10-19, 7:01pm
Dangerous Woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fannydotson View Post
I got 1.40 lbs. There are three rods. I got them for 60% off. I would much rather trade than sell. I can always use more glass! Whatcha got?
What Do I Have!?! She asks! Come on I am a total and complete glass ho!!! CiM, DH, Frit, Boro, Satake, Vintage German 96, Odd Lots, Common shit, well you name it!

Sonja I probably have enough for you too!

Both of you send me a PM and we'll work something out.

Old 2009-10-19, 9:04pm
Lampworkaholic!

You don't happen to need any monster rods of sage green? Apparently I can't read either - lol! Actually the color is beautiful and I melted a little and it wasn't at all shocky. Just hard to wind the small beads I like to make. I'm on a Minor, so that isn't the issue. Now that I think of it, I have quite a collection of "chubby" rods, including dark silver plum and others. I have them in a big wide vase. They are just too much trouble to mess with.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-10-20, 11:09am
Live and Let Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by erose View Post
You don't happen to need any monster rods of sage green? Apparently I can't read either - lol! Actually the color is beautiful and I melted a little and it wasn't at all shocky. Just hard to wind the small beads I like to make. I'm on a Minor, so that isn't the issue. Now that I think of it, I have quite a collection of "chubby" rods, including dark silver plum and others. I have them in a big wide vase. They are just too much trouble to mess with.
Make Stringers

Old 2009-10-20, 11:20am

Does it sound bad that I wanna be a ho, too? He, he, he...glass, tools, shapers, whatever...
Old 2009-10-20, 12:00pm
Creatrixie

Not at all, Fanny...
(from a fellow "glass Ho")

~Mary

There's always something new to learn!
COE 104
Old 2009-10-20, 2:16pm
Angie09

Carolyn ... can I ask why you are selling all your Vetro odds? Thanks
Old 2009-10-20, 2:21pm
Lover of all things color

I love the Vetro Odds, especially Jupiter, Lichen and Cosmic Storm. I do a lot of organic focal though. Jupiter is a nice orange and Lichen is kind of like ivory with little bits of blue in it, nothing like what the rod looks like.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2009-10-20, 2:22pm

Fanny - what i'd do is pull them down into useful size rods (you'll probaly use a whole canister of mapp tho!)

you'll hold the rod with both hands, one on each side of the flame, and roll back and forth like you're trying to keep a round bead warm. when it starts to get flexible, create just a wee tiny bit of tension, to make the two sides of the rod make a little pancake in the center. That pancake is called a maria.

Keep your maria warm, and keep rolling your rod back and forth, and keep making it bigger and bigger until you cant keep the side rods straight anymore. then take it out of the flame, and wait a beat or two until its a smidge cooler... then, pull like you are pulling stringer (dont twist) but do it slow.... you should get a smaller diameter rod that you can actually work with.

they made us do that with boro rods at in my beginner's class at the studio at corning to figure out how glass moves but I find it to be useful for making fat rods appropriately skinny

handmade with my headphones on...
Old 2009-10-20, 2:57pm
Peerless Thread Killer

Please be careful with the odds from Vetrofond-I adore them but most of them are really, really shocky. Get a rod warmer or hot plate or something. I have a hotplate to warm my rods on and it works really well.

Old 2009-10-20, 3:04pm

Thanks guys! Can I stick them in my vermiculite in my crockpot?
Old 2009-10-20, 3:09pm
Life is change. Love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie09 View Post
Carolyn ... can I ask why you are selling all your Vetro odds? Thanks
I won't be selling all of them - some I love, poppy, watermelon and seashell swirl to name a few. I found a lot of the moss/olive/dark lichen dull and dark. I was also burned on my petrified wood. I got a sample rod which was gorgeous, so bought a lot more, only to find it was totally different glass.

Still deciding which of my stash to de-stash, along with some ASK colours.

Old 2009-10-20, 3:09pm

Fanny,

Here is how I peel the scum off big rods:
http://www.tumbleweedglass.com/videos.html

Steve

Old 2009-10-20, 3:27pm

That was quite interesting steve thanks for sharing that! How long do you think it would take to do that on a hot head?

Old 2009-10-20, 3:38pm
Peerless Thread Killer

Quote:
Thanks guys! Can I stick them in my vermiculite in my crockpot?
Not sure about that-it might leave some kind of dust on it? I don't use vermiculite so I don't know if it's dusty.

Old 2009-10-20, 3:44pm
Dangerous Woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by erose View Post
Sorry I have some of those sage rods too. I bet we got them at the same place.

Fanny I use a small George Forman grill to preheat my rods. You can get them at yard sales for like 5 bucks.

Old 2009-10-20, 3:47pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by neagle View Post
Not sure about that-it might leave some kind of dust on it? I don't use vermiculite so I don't know if it's dusty.
YES YES YES!!!!!
Google "Libby Montana" and you'll shudder.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2009-10-20, 3:54pm
Did someone say SALE?

Fanny, I like the lichen swirled on a base of white. It makes a light pretty sage-y green color that goes with earthy tones of green clothing very nicely. I also mixed up the olive and lichen for a pretty organic look. THis is the Lichen on white...sorry for the bad photo!

Old 2009-10-20, 3:56pm

Thanks. So I should do a base of a different color, and not use my odds for the base? Is that to use less of the odds, or is it to make better color combos?

Libby, Montana, as in the town, or "Libby Montana", as in a person?
Old 2009-10-20, 3:58pm

Ummm, so does that mean vermicullite has asbestoes?
Old 2009-10-20, 4:02pm
Meow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn M View Post
I was also burned on my petrified wood. I got a sample rod which was gorgeous, so bought a lot more, only to find it was totally different glass.
There's a ong list of us with that experience. The rod in the sample pack was to die for...my 2lbs...ick.

Go on. Click it!

Yes. We. Did!
Old 2009-10-20, 4:24pm

Quote:
Ummm, so does that mean vermicullite has asbestoes?
Yes. Yes it does. Another reason for good ventilation, and to keep that stuff covered as much as possible if you do need to use it.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2009-10-20, 8:19pm
Elphaba Lives !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn M View Post
I was also burned on my petrified wood. I got a sample rod which was gorgeous, so bought a lot more, only to find it was totally different glass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgslampwork View Post
There's a ong list of us with that experience. The rod in the sample pack was to die for...my 2lbs...ick.

Try using your Petrified Wood with the many different Corals; I have found that they go together quite nicely.

Last edited by Katie Gee; 2009-10-20 at 9:40pm.
Old 2009-10-20, 9:29pm

Quote:
I ordered some "crystal clear 17-18 mm rods. I had no idea 17-18 mm meant like 3/4 of an inch! I wasn't payoing very much attention I guess. Anyhow, Can I melt rods that thick on my HH?!

Depends. How big is your bulk tank and how old are you?