Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-07-29, 11:40am
Newfoundland lover!

Default Best saw for cutting tubing (pandora style)

Hi
I just wanted to check and see what people are using for cutting thier silver and copper tubing. I have a mini saw from Harbor Freights. I, like some others, are getting a burr. The burr is getting bigger. I haven't really had it that long though. I snip and file after, but size of the burr really warps the tube final result. I stink at a jeweler's saw. I am not thrilled with this saw for others reasons.
Just curious what other tool maybe out there...any suggestions appreciated!
Thanks!
Merilee

Lynx, tanked propane, M-10 oxy and refurb oxy -5.
Old 2010-07-29, 11:46am
Happy Beadmaker!

Hey Merilee, I use this saw and love it -- but didn't at first! The trick is to not force the cut at all!!! Just slow & easy and let the saw do its work! The sterling is so soft that when you apply pressure to the cut, the burr happens!

Try it again and see if that helps!
Lea

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
Old 2010-07-29, 11:51am
Experimentalist

I use a pipe cutter. It's extremely easy to use and then I de-burr with my de-burring tool.

Old 2010-07-29, 11:57am
Happy Beadmaker!

I used a tube cutter for probably 8 or 9 years and then switched to the saw. OMG, soooo much easier!

~
~
~
Old 2010-07-29, 12:00pm

I use a mini tube cutter I purchased from Home Depot and a deburring tool I purchased from Art in the Round. I forgot my Deburring Tool for a show and ended up using an exacto blade which did the job.

Old 2010-07-29, 12:50pm
Newfoundland lover!

I might try a mini tube cutter like you guys suggest.
BUT Lea, I am really glad you explained how you use it because what I am doing is wrong, I think. I press hard and fast which sounds like the opposite of what you or what one should do!
So I'll give this a shot and see...thanks for any advice, tho!

Old 2010-07-29, 1:07pm
honorary bead lady

But what blade are you using??? do a search in the jewelry thread there was a discussion about this last (?) year.
Old 2010-07-29, 1:11pm
Experimentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by merigypsy View Post
I might try a mini tube cutter like you guys suggest.
BUT Lea, I am really glad you explained how you use it because what I am doing is wrong, I think. I press hard and fast which sounds like the opposite of what you or what one should do!
So I'll give this a shot and see...thanks for any advice, tho!

I first used the pipe/tube cutter on acrylic so I REALLY had to get the feel for a gentle hand. But that's how it is... very easy, steady pressure... not pushing to cut.

Old 2010-07-29, 1:52pm
Newfoundland lover!

Thanks Laura!

David, I am using the blade that came with it. I'll do a search, but if you know a better blade, let me know if you can- thanks for the heads up!

Old 2010-07-29, 1:57pm
Bad Cat Glass

In addition to pressing very lightly, it help to holding the saw at a slight angle to the silver and then try to make your motion back and forth really, really straight. The blades are so thin that any movement to the left or right of where you began the cut will cause the saw to stop cutting and get bound up in the silver. If you use a lighter touch with the saw, you'll have a lot less sanding to do.
Old 2010-07-29, 2:01pm

I use a jewelry saw and bench clamp ... quick, easy and if I've cut straight a quick run around the rim with the champfering tool (deburring tool like Dave sells?) does the trick. I do have a jig to help me cut straight but rarely use it on the small size tubing for the beads.

I did have a tubing cutter (my son managed to bread the wheels) but honestly I find it much easier to cut with the jewelry saw and much kinder to my wrists too.

Sadie

Old 2010-07-29, 2:24pm
Newfoundland lover!

Maybe I'll give the jewelry saw a try sometime. Yet I may wait a bit because I was in a mixed media metals class last summer and I was so bad that I kept breaking the blades!
Maybe with the tubes being thin it may be different!

Old 2010-07-29, 7:21pm
Experimentalist

Here's a really good deal on a tube cutter...

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167892

Old 2010-07-29, 8:15pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by merigypsy View Post
Maybe I'll give the jewelry saw a try sometime. Yet I may wait a bit because I was in a mixed media metals class last summer and I was so bad that I kept breaking the blades!
Maybe with the tubes being thin it may be different!
For lots of people there's a small learning curve with a jewelry saw ... like riding a bike. Or making a rounded bead for that matter.

Tubes are slightly trickier than flat metal as the tendency is to close the gap produced by the saw blade and pinch the metal as you work down the diameter of the tube, but once you've done a few you'll have the tension down I suspect.

Good luck!

Sadie

Old 2010-07-29, 8:22pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

This saw from Harbor Freight works GREAT!! So much easier than that monotonous hand-held pipe cutter. Saves a lot of hand twisting.

Jack

Old 2010-07-30, 10:43am
To bead Yeah! ;)

Cutting metals always leaves a burr, a small round needle file for the inside of the tube and a bit of sandpaper on the outside will do the trick too.
To make sawing easier run your jewellers saw through a bit of bees wax.

_
NEW "Marble Twist" tut!
HOLLOW BEAD, 3D SQUARES for hollow beads, Rose Murrini and Multi Murrini tut, JETZT alle in DEUTSCH erhältlich!
Old 2010-07-31, 2:56pm
Newfoundland lover!

Beeswax, thank you Astrid. I didn't know a burr is always left! I think the main problem is me going to fast and pressing a bit too hard.

Thanks Jack for the link.

Old 2010-07-31, 8:33pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

You're very welcome! Good luck!

Jack

Old 2010-08-03, 7:23am
Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadiesJewels View Post
For lots of people there's a small learning curve with a jewelry saw ... like riding a bike. Or making a rounded bead for that matter.

Tubes are slightly trickier than flat metal as the tendency is to close the gap produced by the saw blade and pinch the metal as you work down the diameter of the tube, but once you've done a few you'll have the tension down I suspect.

Good luck!

Sadie
I had no luck with the pipe cutter..it bent the tubing, Im going to try a jewelers saw...I just ordered one from cgbeadroller..hopefully that will work better for me.
Old 2010-08-03, 7:33am
Experimentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherie View Post
I had no luck with the pipe cutter...
Apparently they're monotonous too

Old 2010-08-03, 7:47am
Happy Beadmaker!

Cherie: The tube cutter probably bent your tubing because you tightened it too tight -- if you want to try it again, just barely tighten it, turn a couple rounds, re-tighten, couple more rounds, and re-tighten again and finish the cut. Sterling is so soft you can't crank the cutter too tight or it will compress the tubing.

HTH,
Lea

P.S. I've been coring beads probably about 10 years, used the tube cutter forever 'til I discovered the little H-F mini-chop saw and now I'm a convert!

~
~
~
Old 2010-08-03, 9:40am
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Tighten, turn, tighten, turn, tighten, turn... THAT'S monotonous.

Jack

Old 2010-08-03, 9:46am
Experimentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&M View Post
Tighten, turn, tighten, turn, tighten, turn... THAT'S monotonous.

Jack
Heh... I get frustrated with a jeweler's saw (Finding table with appropriate edge, screwing clamps onto table, positioning item to be sawed, sawing, unscrewing clamps, putting everything away... ugh).

Monotonous works for me. Maybe it's the zen factor

Old 2010-08-03, 9:47am
Happy Beadmaker!

No, Jack, it is ...tighten, turn turn turn, tighten, turn turn turn, etc.! That's monotonous.

And that's why I switched to the mini-chop!!!

~
~
~
Old 2010-08-03, 9:52am

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&M View Post
This saw from Harbor Freight works GREAT!! So much easier than that monotonous hand-held pipe cutter. Saves a lot of hand twisting.

Jack
I have this one and I love it! You still have to file the burr off.

Last edited by blr2449; 2010-08-03 at 9:59am. Reason: More info
Old 2010-08-03, 9:54am
Experimentalist

Well, I just had a look at that link from Harbor Freight and that looks smashingly better than the clamps and jeweler's hand saw that I was picturing. Bravo!

Old 2010-08-03, 10:13am
Happy Beadmaker!

Barb: See my note to OP Merilee below re: bur. HTH!

~
~
~
Old 2010-08-03, 10:44am
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Here's my little set-up:

Jack

Old 2010-08-03, 10:56am
Experimentalist

That's a nice set-up. I don't have a work area... hell, I don't even have a bedroom or a living room.

So for me to do most anything it's a matter of "setting up". Which is why I'm not overly fond of using a jeweler's saw for little projects.

I may feel differently when I have a place where I can leave things SET UP, know what I mean?

But this little do-hickey from HF looks spiffy. What kinds of things have you cut with it?

Old 2010-08-03, 11:06am
Newfoundland lover!

Thanks Jack for sharing your set up! Mine is similar.
I am going to go Practice right now!