No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2013-06-13, 3:32pm

Default CFM for studio ventilation?

Hi LE,

I'm attempting to set up a small bead studio after having moved to a new home, and I'm wondering what size vent fans people usually buy. At my old studio I just used an existing fan and it wasn't very good. I want to do a good job on my ventilation this time around. There is an ace hardware down the street and I noticed that they sell bathroom fans from $17 to $230 but the "CFM" is between 50 and 80. I do plan on getting some flashing and constructing a little cowling to put at the back of my bench so that I'm sucking the air just around the torch head. To be honest I'm not that worried about the noise - I'm rather resigned to the fact that it's going to be noisy regardless because my old one was noisy and every studio I've visited has been noisy too. If it matters, the torch is a hot head, so there won't be leaping flames and immense clouds of metal vapor.

My goal is to spend under $100 on a vent system, but if I find it's not sufficient to set up a high quality system I'll save up more to get a good one.

Thanks y'all!
Max

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-06-13, 4:50pm
Salt Box Beads

My workbench opening is 2' X 4' and my blower has three settings, 1100, 1600 and over 2000 cfm. I use the 1100 mostly.

This is one of the places to go for answers on studio and ventilation

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum...08cc93ab99ba46

My new studio will have the blower on the outside to take care of the noise. I paid 45.00 for a used blower from a heating and air conditioning place. I probably paid 80.00 for the metal work and the ducting, My husband bought a swamp cooler 3 speed switch and re wired my blower. I don't know what he paid for it plus the new electrical cord. I wanted a heavy duty one.

Now he he is building a small scaffolding? to hold the unit on the outside with a wood housing over it. It means more ducting but better to have it on the outside.
Probably under $300.00 for all said and done. We have spent about 200.00 for all of the items needed for the fresh air to be brought in to the underside of the two work benches It gets very hot here in the summer and cold in the winter so this was a must have to be able to torch anytime of the night or day. Most of this can be done on the cheap though, if you are handy.

Enjoy and have fun.

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2013-06-14 at 9:57am.
Old 2013-06-13, 8:46pm
Alaska Boro

Using a Soler & Palau T-250 fan with 10 inch duct and a run of 51 inches.

Old 2013-06-14, 6:25am
I fart diamonds

My setup cost less than $100, using hydroponic inline fans:

This is with the new, bigger fan (8", 745CFM) which only cost $51 on Ebay:

It's not loud at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-06-15, 3:47am

I used Shawnette's advice for my ventilation and it works well.
Bob

e-mail:
Old 2018-10-06, 8:06pm
Melts glass~makes jewelry

Hi Shawnette! Did you cut a hole in the wall to vent it outside? Can the blower be left outside? thanks
PAtty

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
My setup cost less than $100, using hydroponic inline fans:

This is with the new, bigger fan (8", 745CFM) which only cost $51 on Ebay:

It's not loud at all.

Old 2018-10-09, 5:10pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabaribeads View Post
Hi Shawnette! Did you cut a hole in the wall to vent it outside? Can the blower be left outside? thanks
PAtty
No, its venting out a window. I didn't want to cut any holes. Here a blog post I wrote about it:

https://web.archive.org/web/20150726...get-workspace/

Old 2018-10-09, 7:02pm

This is a link to a "Ventilation Primer" by Mike Aurelius;

https://mikeaurelius.wordpress.com/ventilation-primer/

It has all the info needed to ensure a safely ventilated work space. don't let the math intimidate you, it's really not hard.
Old 2018-10-15, 7:23pm
Sam I Am

This is s good tutorial ohttp://www.andreaguarino.com/read-me/n ventilation

Old 2018-11-11, 8:55pm
MacGalver

Sam, I think you meant this ~ ?

http://www.andreaguarino.com/read-me/

Old 2018-12-22, 6:58am

The "Ventilation Primer" by Mike Aurelius was a worth reading.

I don't have a permanent fixed setup yet, but is working towards a studio space somewhere in or around the house. This is a good read of the issues involved, even for temporary setups. Even in temporary setups, it is a good idea to start moving towards fixed installations.

The safety issues discussed is applicable irrespective the type of setup you have.
Old 2019-03-02, 12:48pm

Gonna have my husband read all this. We are in the process of setting up our studio again.