Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2018-12-14, 3:26pm

Default GTT Bobcat and 5lpm concentrator

I have a GTT bobcat runnkng on a 5 lpm machine, the flame seems weaker by alot as opposed to running on tanked gas, i run a 30$ tank out in less then 6 hours running at 10 psi. Any recommendation beside stay tanked or get a bigger concentrator.
Old 2018-12-15, 7:09am

I ran a Bobcat for 7 years until I traded up to a Sidewinder a year ago.

For boro ... I always quick connected to tank.

My centerfire now is two concentrators running 8 lpm which is "okay" for small boro and my outer ring is tanked. I turn on just the 02 for the outer to boost the centerfire at times.

I actually miss being able to quick connect to tanked when I want to play with boro. Love that super oxy rich flame you can get with tanked.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2018-12-15, 9:17am
Loving learning

So Laura, you have two separate oxygen sources to the torch?
I have a used Hellcat that I have not hooked up yet, and am trying to figure out my oxygen.
If I am understanding correctly, I can use my 5 oxycon for the center ports, and a separate hose to the tank for when I want to use the outer ring? And crack it open a bit to run along with the oxycon if I need a boost when running just the centerfire? I just want to be sure, because I had never heard that, and it would allow me to hook up the torch right now!
Old 2018-12-15, 5:05pm

Eileen, the centerfire of the Hellcat is a mini-cc and you'd be better off with 2 5's if you have them. But yes, you can do oxycons for inner and tanked for outer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2018-12-15, 7:28pm
Loving learning

I only have one 5, but I could pull over the Regalia that I use on the Mega minor if nobody was there with me. But I will not be using both torches very often, only when our son is visiting mostly. I could put the minor back in that spot for that.
Old 2018-12-16, 8:18am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
I only have one 5, but I could pull over the Regalia that I use on the Mega minor if nobody was there with me. But I will not be using both torches very often, only when our son is visiting mostly. I could put the minor back in that spot for that.
This sounds like the perfect solution. I'm in the same boat. I also have a minor for my daughter to play with when she gets in the mood. I actually "borrowed" her concentrator so I would have two (LOL). I hook her up to the tank and just use my centerfire when, on the rare occassion, she actually wants to torch.

You can "Y" the two ports for the inner and outer together to run from the same source or leave them separate and run them to different sources.

I actually have my gas line (Propane) Y'd so that I run from one single tank for Propane but have the Oxy split. I can send a picture if you like and it helps.

Old 2018-12-17, 12:00am
I'm meeeeelting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin7191975 View Post
I have a GTT bobcat runnkng on a 5 lpm machine, the flame seems weaker by alot as opposed to running on tanked gas, i run a 30$ tank out in less then 6 hours running at 10 psi. Any recommendation beside stay tanked or get a bigger concentrator.
I know this isn’t what you want to hear, but you’re not going to get a great flame with a 5 lpm concentrator. If you want to work boro without a tank, I’d either go to a more powerful machine or get a 2nd 5 and Y them together.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2018-12-17, 12:02am
I'm meeeeelting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
Carlisles like a lot of oxygen. I’d suggest trying the center fire on your Regalia unless you’re happy with your current configuration.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Old 2018-12-17, 4:34am

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyuno View Post
I know this isn’t what you want to hear, but you’re not going to get a great flame with a 5 lpm concentrator. If you want to work boro without a tank, I’d either go to a more powerful machine or get a 2nd 5 and Y them together.
Well i have some luck over the weekend at the flea market found a 5 lpm invacare for 25$, i got a y and its too big so just waiting for home depot to open to get me running on 2 oxycon

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 2018-12-19, 8:28pm
Phill

You could Y together an oxycon and a tank at the same out puts to make the tank last as long as possible - if the flame you get with this combination produces the flame you want.

One other thought is to make sure that you open the valve stem on the tank all the way to the open stop and seat it against the full open position.
Tanks can leak all the contents under pressure around the valve stem if you only open them part way.

Good luck and please come back to this thread and tell us about what works for you.
Old 2018-12-20, 4:14pm
I'm meeeeelting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin7191975 View Post
Well i have some luck over the weekend at the flea market found a 5 lpm invacare for 25$, i got a y and its too big so just waiting for home depot to open to get me running on 2 oxycon

I think you’ll be much happier with two!

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Old 2018-12-20, 4:27pm

I am much happier have them running 3-3.5 and boro is easy

Old 2018-12-21, 8:47pm
I'm meeeeelting

Yay!

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Old 2018-12-23, 6:48pm

I didn't realize that a bobcat could use that much oxygen in 6 hours. I'm thinking K tanks so maybe I'm wrong. I have used a K tank in 6 hours, or there about, when pulling vac stacks with a Mirage. But for everyday use a K tank will last a day to day and a half with my Mirage. 10 to 18 hours using the outer flame once in a while but not very often.