No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2011-11-14, 11:45pm
Salt Box Beads

Default My New Salt Box Tuff Shed

So it finally arrived today. It took four men 4 hours to put it together start to (almost) finish and that included all of the clean up too.

I love the colors. The base is palest celery white and the trim is Eucalyptus. It fits nicely on the patio and next week they will deliver and install the window which they forgot to put onto the truck!

Tomorrow I will buy the stuff to paint the floor that repels termites. NOT looking forward to that as it smells something awful. I will have to wear my respirator.

Then when we have some extra money I will have to buy the insulation and gypsum board so finishing it off is going to take until next summer probably.
But at least it is here and that is a great start.
Attached Images

Old 2011-11-15, 12:03am
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

Congrats Lorraine - it looks already now fabulous!
You'll love having your own space in your yard.
Even if it still takes a long time, just imagine how great it'll be!

Etsy Vintage shop
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Webpage ->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-11-15, 12:09am
I speak Murrini!

Oh Snap! How wonderful!!!!

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2011-11-15, 6:27am
grama punky - class junky

Yes! congrats, isnt planning a new studio space a blast!

Old 2011-11-15, 6:51am
old fart

insulate the walls, so that you can effectively use a heater or an AC to extend your comfort during parts of the year. good luck!!!

Old 2011-11-15, 7:10am

Nice - you will be very happy, I'm sure.

I have one, too - it is very much nicer with insulation!
Old 2011-11-15, 7:13am
Somewhat out there!

Oh how nice. You even have a skylite. You will have fun.

Julianne
Old 2011-11-15, 1:18pm
Salt Box Beads

Thanks guys. Mark I so agree with you and others about the insulation, as we get 116 regularly here in the summer so insulation is a MUST. It is such a nice little shed I really want to do it justice and it starts today with the awful termite stuff.

I am on my way to Home Depot in just a few minutes.

The hard part now is deciding on a floor plan. I have three to choose from but I am going to go out into the shed and pretend I am making beads to see which arrangement i like best and I also want to dwell a lot on where I want the ventilation on the inside and outside so today is going to be a stretch the brain day for me!

I also want to decide where I want the outlets etc so I will doing a lot of sketching and erasing I'am sure.

I realized after the shed was up and I could really see the scale of the whole patio that we need to enlarge the concrete area of the other side of the patio and remove some more garden area to make room for the patio set so as not be so scrunched in. Domino effect...

But that's okay. I love container gardens on a patio.

The round cutouts represent chairs.

More pictures to come as I go along.
Attached Images

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2011-11-15 at 4:37pm.
Old 2011-11-15, 4:02pm

That will be a wonderful studio; it's great already. And getting the placement of everything correct the way you are planning is so smart. Have fun with it!

Yvonne
Old 2011-11-15, 4:34pm

I like your third ground plan. I went through much the same process designing my work area. I really love not having the torch facing the wall. It's probably more "mental" on my part, but I love feeling free to crank up the propane when necessary without the sense that something will catch fire.
I also have lots of outlets. Don't know what kind of kiln you have, but I put in a dedicated 20 amp circuit for my kiln. Then there's one for an oxycon, one for a work light on the bench, one overhead light. And make sure there's something lighting your bookcases.
I don't know what your climate extremes are, but we not only insulated my space, but also added a heating/cooling unit. Don't know what the electric bills are going to be like, but I keep it going all the time so the room stays about 66 degrees and the oxycon doesn't freeze.
Hope you don't mind my two sense worth. It looks like the perfect size, and I think you're going to be thrilled when it's done. Can't wait to see more pics.
Peggy
Old 2011-11-15, 4:53pm
honorary bead lady

Nice on paper but actually go out in the shed and lay it out with chairs and cardboard for the benches shelves
Old 2011-11-15, 7:15pm
Salt Box Beads

Thanks David..I already figured that one out. I am just trying to decide if I want to tape it off or use chalk. Probably the tape. The chalk might not erase so well.

Here are a few more pics. These are taken from the south side of the yard looking north and the last pic shows I have plenty of room to build a small enclosure for fuel tanks. I like that we have completely blocked out the views of the neighbors ugly sheds and well pump..He he

Now we have a more private patio. At least they get to look at a nice Tuff Shed! I forgot to say it is an 8' X 14', except inside it lost 7 inches in depth and width.
Attached Images

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2011-11-15 at 7:18pm.
Old 2011-11-16, 10:50am
Curmudgeon Engineering

It's really too small for 3 chairs. Two at most seems better to me since you have no 'desk'. Don't want to feel cramped and hemmed in. You also want an unobstructed path to the kiln from the bench with that precious hot glass object and a random chair could be a bitch to trip over. Possibly put kiln on roller cart; a little more flexible. I have my kiln on a roller tool cart and keep all my extra tools and graphite stuff in the tool cart. It doesn't get moved much but can be if needed. I like my torch facing the wall as I use a mirror on the wall to see the back side of the object but some peeps do not like having their back to the door. My bench is bolted to the wall but a free standing bench gives you more flexibility if you change your mind later. Perhaps put books above or below your glass storage; since glass is heavier I would put it on the lower level and books above. I used some metal shelving from Home Depot (heaviest they had) and found the particle board shelves were not adequate so consider adding to or replacing the shelving on any store bought shelving with sturdier stuff. More outlets the better. All lights can be on one circuit as they are minimal power users. Think about an outside light for those late night sessions. A fourth alternative is to have the bench across the end of the shed opposite the window end. Just some suggestions.

your layout sketches do not show the door or window so I'm only guessing at their locations; at bottom of sketch and on right side. Bottom arrangement doesn't seem to leave much room at the end of the bench esp with the doors closed. Perhaps you will only use one of the doors for entry.exit?

Last edited by cheng076; 2011-11-16 at 11:07am. Reason: adding content, spelling
Old 2011-11-16, 11:35am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Default Layout

Perhaps like this.
Attached Images

Old 2011-11-16, 12:10pm
Salt Box Beads

Thank-you for the layout diagram.

Sorry this is going to be a long long post.

The work bench is high so chairs are really bar stools so they don't take up that much room and will be under the bench and out of the way most of the time. I may have one nice easy chair in there. Also I would never worl with my back to a door. I like my work bench free standing and myself positioned where I can see anyone coming to the shed.

The kiln will be on a rolling tool chest. I have one window in the shed that I placed stratigically so I could roll the kiln to the window and check on the controller temp reading frequently by just walking up to my patio door and looking out. I have kiln anxiety. So the wall with the window in it can't have anything tall in front of it.

The metal books shelves that used to be in the horse trailer studio are going into this studio because they are covered with marble and I use them all the time to lay my pulled twisties and cane onto.

The Gorilla shelving for my glass is too tall to fit at the back of the shed so it has to go to the front and the only place for it is on the left side. I have three work benches in the garage I can choose from, I want the 6 footer but may have to use my 4 footer that is already set up and the one I have been using.

If I was going to build the inside from scratch your plan would be great but since I have to use what I already have it makes it a little tougher.

Our property was recently rezoned by FEMA and they have determined any building with electrical has to have an 18" concrete footing and all of the electrical has to be at least 36 inches off the ground and I have to hire an engineer to oversee the whole project!!!

But we have decided to wire the whole thing with exposed conduit and boxes and outlets and then get the electrical to it using an RV type system from a box on the house which is right next to the shed. I already know exactly how much electric I will be using and will have my electrician add extra for good measure. We are also adding 220 for my hubby's shed. We had our electrician come by and go over it with us and since RV parks have been doing it for years and years I figure I can too.

You know each and every studio shed build is so unique to it's own set of requirements and complications that we really need to post our builds and ideas so everyone can benefit. Thank you all for all of the comments and kind words.

They rezoned us for the worst possible flood zone rating on the new flood maps! Sometimes I just get so frustrated living in California.

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2011-11-16 at 12:13pm.
Old 2011-11-16, 3:37pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

One of the many reasons I moved from there 30 some years ago. And I thought it was bad, horrible, then...lol

Sounds like you have all in hand what with all the restrictions. Good luck; it's going to be nice.
Old 2011-11-16, 4:21pm
Salt Box Beads

If you would like to read more about the Salt Box Shed being transformed into a lampworking studio just subscribe to my blog as I am posting our progress, pitfalls and pictures there.

Hmm.. one of the ones that got away. LOL

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2011-11-20 at 8:55pm.
Old 2012-03-17, 1:21pm
Salt Box Beads

We are headed out to Home Depot to Buy the breaker box, switches, plugs, elelctrical wire etc. I am excited, I have waited so long and now we are finally able to start completeing the inside of the shed.

I will post some pics later. This is still going to take several months to complete but that's OKAY with me.
Old 2012-03-17, 2:27pm

Like your relovesmap on your blog.
Old 2012-03-19, 9:25am
Salt Box Beads

It is a neat little widget isn't it?.
Old 2012-03-19, 11:34am
@miniuniworld

Congrats on the new space Lorraine!
Old 2012-03-19, 11:51am
Salt Box Beads

Thank you, I have been waiting to do this build for about 8 years. LOL
Old 2012-03-19, 2:36pm

Location: Loving Bermuda, dreaming of Africa and looking forward to Maine!

I like your number 3 layout better ... though I think it would be better to have your kiln nearer you ....? Looks great! Exciting!
Old 2012-03-19, 4:44pm
Salt Box Beads

You are right so I now have this plan. This is a lay out I finally settled on. I have my lampwork bench back to back with my metal smithing bench. I can easily see out the doors and the window and I do not have my back to the door which is a huge No No for me.

My glass shelving unit will have a large wood dresser under it that will hold all of my equipment neat and tidy. I will buy a stainless steel rolling tool box that will hold my kiln next to my bench for torching and then I will roll it over in front of the window to keep an eye on it from the house until it finishes ramping down. It also gives me lots more storage.

The two metal Hon bookcases on the right are topped with marble that I use for making murrini and twisties etc.

Also this layout suits the plans for the intake air, exhausted air and the fuels to be piped in right to the work benches. The small AC will be installed over the window up high.

I have the elelctrical all mapped out now along with the ducting for the exhausted air and it finally is a plan I am very happy with.
Attached Images

Old 2012-03-25, 10:23am
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

Lorraine - Planning one of these is an amazing combination of stressful and fun, isn't it? My barn is sitting on the dealer's lot, going to be delivered sometime this week if I can get the building permit sorted tomorrow - having the shed show up 3 weeks early messed my schedule ALL up!

I'm with Paul on the rolling cart for your kiln - it lets you get it out of the way if you're not using it, and also lets you "park" it when not in use in a place that might not be suitable when it's running.

I couldn't torch if my back WASN'T to the door - I really need a dark background to be able to see what I'm doing, plus I'm easily distracted (and not just by shiny objects) - I can just see myself now. SQUIRREL! and the hand is in the flame....

It's going to be so much fun watching our 2 projects side by side!

PS - I assume from your flood rating that you have humidity issues. When you look at insulating check out "stone wool" - it's supposed to resist mold, mildew, and vermin. All a VERY good thing in my mind...

L-111

Old 2012-04-06, 11:43am
Salt Box Beads

I agree this is going to be fun building at the same time!

I purchased some jardinare last week and will buy several more really really large ones plus a fountain within the next few paydays.

Then all I need are the plants and I will be happy with the ambience of looking at the studio and having the feel of it be inviting to guests. I am so glad I choose to have a skylight. It sure lets in a lot of light.

The plants are the hard part because we are zone 9 and get extreme heat and then hard freezes so I will have to careful.

Here are a few more pics I took today.

Subject to change without notice.. He he It's called a womans perogative!
Attached Images

Old 2012-04-06, 11:46am
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by eregel View Post
It's going to be so much fun watching our 2 projects side by side!

PS - I assume from your flood rating that you have humidity issues. When you look at insulating check out "stone wool" - it's supposed to resist mold, mildew, and vermin. All a VERY good thing in my mind...
Actually we are very dry here. The flood rating comes from rain and snowfall filling up Shasta lake and then it floods when they have to do the scheduled water releases from the dam. It is just like MEGA flood irrigation.

The dam is just 45 minutes north of us and if it ever broke we would be under water within a short period of time I think.

It is a beautiful lake though.
Attached Images

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2012-04-06 at 11:51am.
Old 2012-04-24, 6:51pm
Salt Box Beads

This has been one tough year so far time wise. We didn't know we could be so busy and not get things done we want done. Things are calming down a bit and DH loves his new job and we are now going to have more free time to start on the shed.

I purchased these iron hangers and a folding iron chair I have been wanting for about a year but couldn't find what I wanted. I have painted the plant hangers a beautiful green like the shed and I think I will paint the chair too but I am loving the blue. LOL

Hopefully more pics at the end of the month so stay tuned or better yet subscribe to this thread and then you will know whenever there is a new post.

I think fixing up the outside is just as important as the inside.

I don't know what kind of plant I bought for the chair but it is a red purple and then turns green. EUON EMERALD is what the container says.?? But it is exactly what I wanted to put on the chair.
Attached Images

Old 2012-04-25, 7:18pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

Lorraine - your plant is a Euonymus, same family as Burning Bush. Emerald is a spreading form, planted in the ground it'll go 1-2' tall but as much as 4' wide.

I LOVE the blue chair!

L-111

Old 2012-04-25, 10:52pm
Salt Box Beads

Thank you Pat! I have been looking for a chair like that for almost a year now.

Thank-you also for letting me know what plant it is, and it is perfect for this climate.

So now I am going to buy some more to plant around a wrought iron arbor we just bought to go over our mailboxes

I will show pics of that project when it is finished too.