No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-09-18, 2:27pm
beads....mmmm

Default Working with large diameter rods

I use a lot of large diameter rods to lay down the bases for my beads. (10mm-13mm or so) I had a problem with the ends popping off when I put them in the rod rest after use. I was losing quite a bit from each rod.

Recently, I discovered something that seems to work. Instead of laying the rod on the rod rest after use, I laid in on a pile of glass rods on my table. (yeah, it's getting messy in there!) Anyway, much to my surprise, the rods placed on a bed of glass rods didn't have the thermal crack near the tip like usual. I repeated this for the rest of the day and it seems to work most of the time.

I'd be curious to know if this works for anyone else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
::
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-09-18, 3:55pm
Naysayer

It works for me. Someone once posted asking what to use because they get those cracks near the top on any rod rests they've tried. I said I just use my pile 'O glass.

I've since cleaned and I am getting cracks again using a rod rest.

This is for any diameter I've noticed.

I think the pile of glass keeps it just that tad warmer because the heat sinks into the others and less chance to shock and crack at the tip, just my theory anyways.
Old 2012-09-18, 7:50pm
beads....mmmm

Yep, that's my thought, too, Ravenesque. Good, it's not my imagination. lol

Old 2012-09-19, 4:54am
Unmedicated since '62

Well that's interesting, thanks

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-09-19, 5:40am

you can also rest the hot rods on the top of your kiln (idk what kiln you have...the bluebirdxl has a rod rest on the top) so that the radiated heat keep them from popping.
Old 2012-09-19, 7:12am

inside the kiln, ready to instantly melt

Old 2012-09-19, 7:38am
Bigger, longer, and uncut

I have one of those Sally Beauty Supply curling iron heaters on my work table where I stage Devardi or other fat rods. After using a rod, I stick it back in the heater to prevent cracking on the end.

Old 2012-09-19, 5:33pm
Naysayer

Or, just never clean your table, ready to go, no extra electricity and no cracking