Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2016-03-29, 6:37am

Default Looking for an orange/carrot/brick color

Hello, i am trying to find glass rods of opaque "dirty carrot" orange color, to make replicas of ancient beads. Maybe someone can give any advise? I add two photos of these ancient beads. Both photos are of the same necklace, difference in colour is because of a different light.
Old 2016-03-29, 8:12am

Hi there, what period in particular are you hoping to reproduce?
You want the Effetre coral colours, as they are the closest to the Anglo-Saxon and Viking reds. The shades vary batch by batch, just like the originals did.
Old 2016-03-29, 8:48am

CIM Caboose is a nice brick color

http://creationismessy.com/color.aspx?id=325
Old 2016-03-29, 10:25am

Ancasta, thank you for suggestion, Effetre coral looks really close to what i am looking for The period of those beads is 100 - 300 A.D., so-called Roman epoque. The place of manufacture of these beads could possibly be in Roman empire/ Black sea coast areas. These type of beads were imported to Europe, and are found in Britain, Germany, Baltic region.
Beadmama, thank you! Photos of CIM Caboose looks really great, but in some photos i see a hint of pink.. Does it really have a pink in it?

Last edited by tanarele; 2016-03-29 at 11:34am.
Old 2016-03-29, 12:46pm
Slogan Challenged...

I find Caboose has a bit of pink. VERY nice color, but not as orange as you would like.

Eff Dark Zucca might be closer, and can strike a little to some darker mottling that would be similar to your beads.

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2016-03-29, 3:45pm
Salt Box Beads

Red roof tile might work

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...=red+roof+tile
Old 2016-03-29, 3:53pm

this looks more like clay
Old 2016-03-29, 5:33pm
Fried Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine Chandler View Post
This. My second thought is Effetre Spanish leather.
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...panish+leather
Old 2016-03-29, 7:36pm

You need to remember also that etching from age and oxidation has changed the original color of the glass. You might be able to replicate that effect with tumbling and/or using a bit of baking soda in the surface of the bead.
Old 2016-03-30, 1:33pm

KJohn, thank you, i like how Dark zucca looks, will have to puchase it, together with other rods, mentioned here, and see which matches best
Lorraine Chandler, that Red roof tile, which now is for sale, looks different than in your link. Now it looks even more yellow than orange.
SGA, Spanish leather is also on the list, thank you!
ESC, i am thinking of putting beads in the tumbler with sand. Haven't tried it yet, theoretically it might work. Sand blasting makes the surface look very good, but it is too complicated for me to use for more than a couple of beads.
Old 2016-03-30, 2:17pm
Fried Cat

As I'm sure you know, or will quickly figure out, these rods can vary. You're looking for a color that is close to the coral family. And boy do they vary.

Once you test a few, post the test beads. One Spanish leather or dark zuccha may be different than someone else's. I know my red roof tile rods vary between themselves. You might can even swap rod for rod if current batches aren't quite right.
Old 2016-03-30, 2:25pm
Fried Cat

Alternatively, I've called Frantz before to ask about color matching. They might can pull specific tonalities if you request. Especially if it's not a brand new color and it's been sitting there for ages.

Also, for example I love Green Cave. But Green Cave from Frantz is lighter than the Green Cave from Ed Hoy. I actually investigated this when I received a color I didn't expect from Frantz. They had it, then they got a slightly different batch, and to my knowledge haven't received a new shipment. So as of this year, there are two slightly different green caves. At least in my experience. After asking my local dealer, who consistently gets the tonality I like, she said it came from Ed's. So it might be worth asking a supplier who deals with both, if they ever recieved the slightly different batches. However, as a disclaimer, all of my glass ever, Green Cave is the only glass that is noticeably different between Frantz and Ed Hoy. But I imagine it's certainly more probable in the coral-like families if they receive different batches...

(Re: green cave for anyone else. The difference is minimal looking at it iirc. But spot on when you're creating black green leaves such as gardenia or magnolia. That deep dark green, you'd mix a little black in with your green paint to achieve. The first one is Frantz's Green Cave. The second one is Ed Hoy. Both are very close to the image)

Attached Images

Last edited by SGA; 2016-03-30 at 2:40pm.
Old 2016-04-02, 7:56am

Effetre Hawaiian clay might be a good option. It etches well.
Attached Images

follow me on Instagram @tinkercreekcreations
Old 2016-04-02, 11:38pm
Naysayer

Wow, that green cave is like 2 different animals!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine Chandler View Post
This, I use this color all the time, it looks just like the photos in your post. I buy the machine pulled lately.
Old 2016-04-03, 6:30am
Fried Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenesque View Post
Wow, that green cave is like 2 different animals!

This, I use this color all the time, it looks just like the photos in your post. I buy the machine pulled lately.
It really is! And with corals so shifty, I wonder if Frantz and Ed would have different batches of it as well.
Old 2016-04-05, 11:51pm
Naysayer

Oh I'd almost bet on it!

And a lot of other colors, like some of the reds! I used to get the prettiest red/brown or brown/red whatever it is, now I wonder if its out there somewhere haha
Old 2016-04-11, 8:01pm

I like the Spanish Leather also but I was going to suggest CIM Adobe? It's a softer color...
"