No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-01-02, 1:30pm
Torch Singer

Default Reviving bead release

I decided to clean up my studio today and in doing so came up with six (!) bottles of bead release in various stages of dessication. There is FosterFire Heavy Duty, Bucket o'Mud, Sludge Plus and a couple of others I can't remember right now. I am thinking about getting a quart of distilled water and seeing if I can salvage these.

The questions I have are:

Is it worth trying to salvage them at all.
Can I combine some of these and still have them work?
What's the best way to mix and de-lump the release?

Thanks for any info you can provide!
Old 2012-01-02, 1:47pm
specializing in obnoxious

I revive my sludge plus with water. I mix vigorously with a 1/4" mandrel. I try not to waste much so I consider it worthwhile.

__Go Big, or Go Home!__

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-01-02, 2:07pm
dances with ideas...

I would give it a shot, and be patient during the reconstitution. I use distilled water. I've used a mix of FF and BOM for some time now. I recently added some of the universal release, as I'm out of BOM, and so far so good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-01-02, 2:58pm
Torch Singer

Three containers successfully rehabbed - two more are rehydrating. One i can't even get the lid off - that one may be given a decent burial.

Thanks for the tips!
Old 2012-01-02, 3:03pm

I've just chucked everything together into the same container, added water, waited, mixed, waited, added more if needed... I'm glad it's going well for you.

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2012-01-02, 7:32pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

Bead release never goes bad. Some people use a mixer or a craft blender, since it's faster.
Old 2012-01-02, 9:59pm
Glass-aholic

I revive with vodka in addition to the water. It will keep mold from growing. You can throw beads in it, whisk it, (some may have to be cut into like butter and flower before storing and mixing) throw beads in the jar and shake to bloody hell, get an electric drink mixer, use a blender, or magic bullet thing too. I think I tried to list steps progressively as needed for the 'worst case' jars. I had one jar I wish I had taken to the paint shop to shake up rather than doing it manually!!

There is a great thread called how to ruin your bead release. I think foster fire started it years back. Best tips ever, and some funny stories about frozen, desert dried, and other bead release attempts of murder

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:

Last edited by jaci; 2012-01-02 at 10:04pm.
Old 2012-01-02, 10:01pm
Glass-aholic

Oh smack thd lid corners with a hammer or your heavy brass masher/press top. It will loosen everything in the cracks. Just pound the **#<$t out of it

WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2012-01-03, 11:03am
SCIENCE Teacher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaci View Post
There is a great thread called how to ruin your bead release. I think foster fire started it years back. Best tips ever, and some funny stories about frozen, desert dried, and other bead release attempts of murder
Wow, you have a good memory. Yeah, I wrote that quite awhile back. I think I have been asked every bead release question under the sun and a few you would never guess.
Old 2012-01-03, 4:52pm
Glass-aholic

Robin that was one of my all time fav threads!

Old 2012-01-05, 12:35pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

Just a quick FYI - I have bought back the bead release production, so I am in the process of gearing up. I am gonna have an ad here soon..
Old 2012-01-05, 12:56pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Robin, I just made a few beads with the release you sent me, and while I did have one (out of 7) release break on me in the fire (I'm very rough on my beads) all the beads came off very easily when they had finished cooling down. I never knew beads could be so easy to get off the mandrels! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by FosterFire View Post
Just a quick FYI - I have bought back the bead release production, so I am in the process of gearing up. I am gonna have an ad here soon..

~
~

#M-191
Old 2012-01-07, 6:06am
Glass-aholic

Oh now I'm interested.... I will be needing more bead release soon! We have a few jars of sludge plus, not strong enough, and blue sludge I like, but I bend too many mandrels getting my beads off my mandrels! I mixed some with left over ff, it was better, and just theew in some sludge too see, cuz its getting low, and it's just not strong enough and flakes with every press bead bead release us like crack! I need the good stuff!! Lol

Old 2012-01-07, 9:31am
Entropy increasing....

Just put some water in the bottle, let it sit a couple of hours and shake it. Easy Peasy.
Old 2012-01-07, 4:00pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

I know there are a lot of new bead releases out there, so I will be offering samples of mine for $3. You can get a sample of any formula and that $3 includes the shipping. Just click on the etsy link in my signature.