Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2007-12-10, 8:15pm

Smile Torch Recommendations

I am considering buying a new torch. I currently run a Nortel midrange plus w/ minor topfire. I would like to upgrade to a torch with a sharper flame. I am thinking about buying either the Bethlehem Tiger Shark or the GTT Phantom. Does anyone know anything about either of these torches? Which one has a sharper flame? Which one is more oxygen efficient?

Any advice would really help.
Thanks
Old 2007-12-11, 12:52am
Save the Numbats

Default gloodle

I'd suggest the Phantom, if you want to be able to get a really sharp, well defined flame. The Lynx (phantom center fire) has the best pinpoint capability on the planet, short of certain premix tips.

The GTTs are truly fantastic torches and are generally more exciting than others, as the triple mix adds a third dimension to the flame adjustment that other torches simply do not have. They are a bit more complex to operate, however. It's worth learning!

GTTs do have excellent oxygen efficiency, as well.

Last edited by Juln; 2007-12-11 at 12:55am.
Old 2007-12-11, 6:31am
ManBearPig

I would NOT recommend a Tiger Shark. I worked on one for a while, and they have no penetrating heat. They are also not very oxygen efficient.

I have a Carlisle CC, and you don't get a sharper flame than a pre-mix flame. It does use more oxygen than most torches, but you work faster and hotter, so it evens out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-12-11, 7:49am
Ezzy

Torylynn, how do you like your Nortel in general. Someone I know suggested using a Nortel Red Max with boro so it would be interesting to know what you think of the torch you have now. Any comments on the Red Max would be great too.

You know I first started out with a Mini CC with soft glass. You don't get a really sharp flame but I used to just burn the hell out of the soda lime and since playing with boro I've wondered how well it would work on the hard glass. Actually I suspect it might work really well because it had that kind of heat.
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

Last edited by PixieFireBeads; 2007-12-11 at 7:54am.
Old 2007-12-12, 11:26pm
Melting for Glass!

I have a HellCat and LOVE it - the center is the mini CC and you can get a pretty small point - in terms of oxygen consumption is a lot better than GTT torches. I also have a Lynx and had purchased a Phantom but decided to sell it when I bought the Hellcat because I was thinking the Phantom needed more oxygen to run well.
I mean definitely GTT torches are very fine torches, but I am very happy with the HellCat which cost about $500.00 less than the Phantom. -give pr take a few dollars.

Cecilia