Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-09-27, 6:20pm
Jacqueline Parkes

An example of mixing Reichenbach dark multi and striking glasses from Double Helix.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-09-27, 6:26pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Btw, is it my imagination or is Etsy deader than a doornail? I have not sold on there for awhile......

Old 2010-09-27, 6:32pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Jacqueline,
This is so generous of you.I have been a jewelry designer for many years but only a Lampworker for a little over a year and I have noticed a Big difference in the generosity of knowledge this community provides compared to the jewelry "beading" people. I only hope I can share as much as you have already in the years to come.(don't mean to sound sappy!)

Old 2010-09-27, 6:36pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemsinbloom View Post
Btw, is it my imagination or is Etsy deader than a doornail? I have not sold on there for awhile......
YES!!! My niece,who makes Polymer beads calls it "Deadsy"! I had a really good July and an okay August but this month sucks! Maybe I will start my own website. Urg!More computer work...

Old 2010-09-27, 6:47pm
Formerly Kellyhorton

Its funny, cuz I always know when a fellow beader comes in my booth. I can tell by their jewelry. they never buy anything, or their taking pics with their cellphones, some of them just flat out ask me how I make something, and you know what, im glad to share with them. I guess maybe it would be different if they were selling in the booth next to me. The only thing that really pisses me off, is when they come in, and i hear their smart comments on their way out, i could make that, its sooo easy. um, then why the hell you in my booth stalkin my shit, he he he

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK

In the '60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
Old 2010-09-27, 7:07pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Ahhh I see, oh wells.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila D. View Post
YES!!! My niece,who makes Polymer beads calls it "Deadsy"! I had a really good July and an okay August but this month sucks! Maybe I will start my own website. Urg!More computer work...

Old 2010-09-27, 7:09pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Taking pics with their cell phones? I would not tolerate that. I draw the line there............I had a jewelry vendor try to pull that stunt on me while I was speaking to a customer. Soooooo rude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyhorton View Post
Its funny, cuz I always know when a fellow beader comes in my booth. I can tell by their jewelry. they never buy anything, or their taking pics with their cellphones, some of them just flat out ask me how I make something, and you know what, im glad to share with them. I guess maybe it would be different if they were selling in the booth next to me. The only thing that really pisses me off, is when they come in, and i hear their smart comments on their way out, i could make that, its sooo easy. um, then why the hell you in my booth stalkin my shit, he he he

Old 2010-09-27, 9:36pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemsinbloom View Post

I will also share what I have learned when it comes to jewelry design.

Please know I am very busy with the upcoming Christmas rush with my local shows but I am a regular member on this board so I pop in daily and will answer any questions you have , on this thread or others when time allows. This includes all recipes for beads and twisties, murrini, etc etc.

Jacqueline
Looks like you have been here all day! Yep Etsy deader than a doornail!
---------------> later off to bed I go.........

I'll share along with you with design techniques, don't know if you all will get it - but I'll try..

Old 2010-09-27, 10:43pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Wowsies, this is so generous from you! I have admired your work from the first moment I signed up onto LE, and I was just wondering about the multicolor and striking glass... thanks for the go! Now I dont have to guess and hesitate, I will just go for it and try!
You know, it is such a relief to let go, I did it differently about 7 years ago. I moved from Finland to US, and all I had was 2 suitcases. And I had toooons of stuff, I collected glass art and all kinds of dishes and table ware, or antique glass. Well, I cried when I sold everything, but when it was done, I was really free! And it felt good.
And everyone knows when they see your bead that it is yours. If they see alike, they know it is a copy of your bead, so no worries there! And people try copying, but I think it is just because they like your beads, and then they just take something out of the techniques they learned, and turn it to something different... at least most of the times. Then there are some goobers that dont really matter anyhow.
Old 2010-09-28, 4:20am
Bonkers about glass.....

Dear Jacqueline,
Your generosity and words of wisdom are much appreciated.
As a relative newbie, I am learning by making a lot of mistakes. Your sharing means that I won't be falling over quite so often.
Thank you.
Old 2010-09-28, 5:11am
Wendy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolly View Post
I cut my last rail with a miter saw and it was smooth as butter!

jolly

A hand miter saw or electric? I've got the hand saw one with the fine teeth on it.

Quote:
... Although that's probably part of what makes an artist a true artist.. you create things that you like and then wonder if anyone else could possibly like them without having seen the rest of the story that's still in your head. ~Me
Old 2010-09-28, 5:26am
Unmedicated since '62

i love this idea - go girl

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2010-09-28, 6:37am
Newfoundland lover!

Thanks so much. I, too, have learned so much from LE! I refer to this forum and group of people for all sorts of other topics as well.

Good for you! Love your work.

Lynx, tanked propane, M-10 oxy and refurb oxy -5.
Old 2010-09-28, 12:06pm

Only new to the forum, but what a wonderful story, and a great perspective on LIFE
Old 2010-09-28, 12:46pm

I don't remember how we originally met either, but I'm glad we did!! What Jacqueline doesn't say is that she was the driving force many years ago in forcing me into selling my beads on Ebay (back in the day when it wasn't flooded with cheap imports and bead prices were very good!) - we were so close to losing our house at the time, and if she hadn't pushed me, I never would have done it. So thank you so much for that, my friend! And congratulations on achieving your goals - and for letting go of the stress and worry of others. It's a pleasure to see you come full circle!

Old 2010-09-28, 1:03pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Thank you Barrie.....glad we are both in a better place now.

Old 2010-09-28, 1:27pm

thank you for your open door policy! guess I'll head to you for questions
Old 2010-09-30, 7:51pm
"Twirl that Honey round".

Yes, I echo the congrats. Sharing info and techniques catapults the whole community further along. So what if you share a recipe? Or picture of a pretty combination. What if someone does attempt to make a copy of what you did? That is how Art has been taught for thousands of years. It is one thing to see it but something else to create a close rendition. There is a painting in the Prado (Spanish Natl. Museum of Art) of the inside of the Museum during the 1400's. It portrays art students obstructing the aisles with their tripods and equiptment busily learning to paint by copying good art. I tried it (copying Great Masterpieces) myself and my painting improved wonderfully. I share anything helpful I can in glasswork without regard for myself being 'diminished'. Taint so, it elevates the whole craft so that those who can only copy can never keep up or catch up. Please take note of my Color project I list for free to any ambitious enough to consider it. Sharing info is for the Mature Artist. Squeezing out drops and dribbles or hording is for Immature Artists.
Old 2010-09-30, 8:06pm
Sarah Jane's grandma

I have always been impressed with how generous the lampworking community is- whether it is helping someone in need, or sharing experiences and ideas. When I first started torching, I found this site and was amazed with the wealth of information available.

Old 2010-10-01, 10:52am
Jacqueline Parkes

Here is another tip. Have you ever come across a tutorial or just info in general on the net that you would love to print but printing is never that attractive from a www page?

Create a pdf quickly and then print the pages you want.

http://www.web2pdfconvert.com/

Old 2010-10-01, 11:34am
boro color bender

Thank you... quite refreshing...

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2010-10-01, 12:14pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluejeangirlnc View Post
A hand miter saw or electric? I've got the hand saw one with the fine teeth on it.

This kind of miter saw. Any brand will do. I had a fine toothed blade on it. Usually called a panel blade. Smoothest cuts ever.

I cut my first rails with a jigsaw....the electric kind. They were awful. Jagged and just nasty!

jolly
Old 2010-10-01, 12:29pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Thank you Mr Smiley and I wish you could see this new style of beads of mine in person Kandice, pictures arn't quite capturing the beauty of the silver glass.

Here is another and if you want to give it a try, here is the recipe:

1. Create a barrel of Reichenbach Multi Dark. I am working with a 1.25" lentil press so I make about three wraps for the base bead.
2. With a full rod of Luna 3 , apply one stripe from the left side to the right , evenly four times around the bead.
With your twisty ( Riechenbach Multi Dark and Moretti Black) fill in the spaces between the Luna stripes. Now your base bead is fully covered in Luna and twisty.
3. Apply a swipe of Khaos on the top of each swipe of Luna.
4. Here comes the fun part and it is highly technical so please pay attention! Heat the living crap out of it and have fun letting the glass move . Just go with the flow persay......
5. Once you are pleased with your design , use heat and the base of your press to even out the barrel again.
6. Heat barrel and press, ta da!
7. Don't worry about whether you have gotten your glasses to strike. They will naturally as you work your bead. If you are not happy with the colors, reheat and strike as necessary but don't reheat too much or you will lose your beautiful ends and lentil shape.
8. You can decorate this bead so many ways. This bead just has three twists by spot heating the bead and twisting with clear stringer. I am still working on different wants to decorate this style.

Also, I have created picture charts for my glass to be printed and laminated. I hang them on the walls in my studio next to the cabinet of glass. It helps having a visual of the glass. I only have CIM finished but I will work on the rest of the companies this winter during my break.

Pardon the el crappo pic.

Old 2010-10-01, 12:35pm

Gorgeous bead Jacqueline - thanks so much for the recipe!

Old 2010-10-01, 1:09pm
honorary bead lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolly View Post

This kind of miter saw. Any brand will do. I had a fine toothed blade on it. Usually called a panel blade. Smoothest cuts ever.

I cut my first rails with a jigsaw....the electric kind. They were awful. Jagged and just nasty!

jolly
If you are cutting downspout material add a wood 1x4 to the back and bottom to back the blade and you will keep it from chipping
Old 2010-10-01, 1:09pm
Melts Under Fire

Wow! Your beads are georgeous!!
Thanks for your generosity. It is appreciated by many.

Old 2010-10-01, 9:30pm
Burning Fingers!

What a lovely and generous thing to do - thank you. I'm looking forward to meeting you at the FVBS.

/
/
/

Old 2010-10-01, 10:20pm
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

OK, Jacqueline....give it up!! I WANT that bead!!!!! I really, really have to have that bead! I went to all of your sites...no bead.....Pat
Old 2010-10-01, 10:30pm
Lover of all things color

I'll bet that even with the receipt I couldn't make it look like yours...LOL

But thanks for the generosity. Sharing is very freeing...

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2010-10-01, 11:38pm
Resident hippie

I love this thread Jacqueline. Thank you so much. . .

Have FUN!!!!! It's not about perfection..... Leslie - [not so] Crazy Woman