Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-12-01, 9:50pm
Dix Harrison

Default Hints for fire polishing large lentils...?????

I am just starting to use the larger lentil-shaped presses.

I'm having trouble getting rid of the chill marks and not distorting the shape. The thinner edges are so danged sensitive to heat.

Any hints or advice would be appreciated.

I'm determined to work my way through this...

Dix
Old 2012-12-01, 10:05pm
beads....mmmm

Hi Dix,

I hold the bead high up in the flame to do the edges. I just waft it through the flame in a circular motion. Afterwards, I give the bead some insurance heat where the mandrel is.

Yeah, there's a learning curve, but you'll get there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
::
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-12-02, 3:19am
Lover of Life

Try letting the bead itself cool enough so that it is very stable, and won't start flowing again when you hit it with the heat. I flame polish mine in the back of a hot flame and hold the mandrel as close as possible to parallel with the flame so that the heat is really only touching the very surface. Don't keep those edges in there, like Deborah said, circle and waft! You can do one side a little bit, then flip and do the other, so your bead doesn't get too hot in one area, but also should remain warm enough to not crack. Do give insurance heat if needed, and do come right out of the heat periodically if things look like they're going to soften. But don't keep it out too long! Keep practicing at it, and you'll get it.

"Your dreams are waiting for you to come true."

Last edited by bexrox; 2012-12-02 at 3:23am.
Old 2012-12-02, 2:28pm
offically down under

With a larger lentil press, I usually press it several times. Eventually, the brass heats up enough not to leave chill marks. Each time I re-heat the bead, I keep the flame away from the edges and after the final press I give it a flame polish and off to the kiln.

Old 2012-12-03, 2:43am

Let the bead cool so that it is hard overall and polish one side at a time, keeping the other cool so that it stays hard.

Sea Rocks Tutorial
- Ebook
- Follow me on
- My
shop