LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room > Free Boro Tutorials

Old 2010-01-18, 8:09am

Default make more realistic eyes tutorial

and clicking here will take you to it. Sharing the love, accept no cheap alternatives.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Running a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
by Miema on LPG and oxy bottles and a GTT Mirage.
Old 2010-01-18, 8:28am
Pyromaniac

Very nice. Can't wait to get my studio back up and running so I can try this!

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2010-01-18, 10:10am
Bliss Junkie

nice!! thanks for sharing!

Karma, it's everywhere your going to be...

GTT Cricket and Carlisle CC w/ a lot of tanked oxygen
Old 2010-01-18, 10:54am
Borosapien

o this is so cool thank you for sharing.

Old 2010-01-18, 11:16am

Excellent! Thanks!

Old 2010-01-18, 11:34am
Critter Mom

I love trying new techniques for eyes, thanks so much.

Old 2010-01-18, 4:15pm
Senior Moment

Thanks.....I love your eyes

Old 2010-01-18, 7:04pm
Mad about Glass

Thanks Chris. This is great.

[url]

Old 2010-01-20, 7:04pm
Torch junkie

Thanks a million or sharing this! I have been trying to figure this out for the past few years and came pretty close, but this is the icing on the cake!

"It's not the torch you have that makes you better. It's what you learn to do with the torch you have, that makes you better."
Old 2010-01-21, 7:23pm
Torch junkie

Chris,
Once again I have to thank you for sharing this, you are just awesome! Here is a picture of some eyes that I made up yesterday using your explanation. These are soft glass, but your info and technique made all of the difference.
THANK YOU!

"It's not the torch you have that makes you better. It's what you learn to do with the torch you have, that makes you better."
Old 2010-01-21, 8:24pm
Flame Dames Rule!

Wonderful, thank you so much! I needed something new&fabulous to play with, tomorrow I'll give it a shot. Love your work! *sharon*

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Old 2010-01-21, 10:21pm
don't burn your fingers!

I am totally gonna try this!! cool!!
Old 2010-01-22, 8:09am

nice eyes, Roger, and good to see you have the blood vessels going the right way, too!!!
I've been wondering about soda glass, I only use it when I'm doing furnace work, seems to take to it very well, I must say.
Thanks for posting those!

Running a
Old 2010-01-22, 10:41am
Annie

Default Can open link

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedglass View Post
and clicking here will take you to it. Sharing the love, accept no cheap alternatives.
Is is just to busy do you think? I keep getting a network error.

Tanked Oxy
Old 2010-01-22, 12:28pm
just another glass addict

That's great! I'm going to try it today. Thanks a zillion!!

Polly

"Confidence, like art, never comes from having all the answers; it comes from being open to all the questions."
-Earl Gray Stevens-

Old 2010-01-22, 4:45pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtledove53 View Post
Is is just to busy do you think? I keep getting a network error.
something's up, I can't get on it either so here it is ...

here's a quick tute I did with a shitty camera, it's a little focus challenged, but I think you will get the idea.
This is how I do my eyeballs, I learned this tech from a glass eye maker years ago and adapted it to boro (glass eyes are made with a certain kind of glass made for eyes in Lauscha. I've found it to be pretty effective.

here's what I used for the tute and the samples,

Momkas Lightning Blue (for iris colour ... others work too, but Momka's LB is the shitz for blue irises ... I think so anyway)

NS Onyx (iris backing ... also used for pupil, prepare a 2 mm or 3 mm rod)

clear rod
3mm for encasing stringer
7mm as punty
10mm for lensing

1 x marble mold
1 x inner fire of my Mirage

1. - 4.
Take 3mm rod and put one layer of casing around the end of a Momka's Lightning Blue rod and pull into thin stringer. This will keep the colour lines in the iris sparated. Obviously you can use thicker or thinner rod for casing, 3mm is just the standard diameter I use.

5. - 6.
Pop a gather of onyx on the end of your 7mm punty and melt it on.

7. - 8.
Apply stringer onto your Onyx gather lengthwise, do 2 or 3 layer of this and take care to cover most, if not all of the onyx, depending on the effect you want. Melt it all in!

This step is very important, as it makes the lines in the iris finer ... pull away the end of your gather and flame cut it. Make sure everything is on center, or it will all be off in the end.

10. - 13.
Heat your gather and gently push it into a large-ish marble mold. If you use a very small mold, the curve will be to much, you want a nice gentle curve which makes your gather come out looking similar to a military brass button.

Let it cool to stone cold* and then heat the very apex of the curve.

15. - 16.
Push your Onyx rod (of suitable size for the iris usually 2mm or 3mm for me is good) into the center of the heated apex. Let it cool a bit and snap off. It's better than adding just a blob of black on the surface (Pushing it in ensures the pupil will stay the size you want it to be without getting larger once you lense your iris up). Melt it all in nicely back to the brass button shape. Use your marble mold again if needed.

17. - 20.
Heat a gather of 10mm clear and blob it onto the front of your iris. Melt it all in and use your marble mold once more to get it back to the brass button shape.

And that's it, if you've done it right and on center you will have a circular iris with a pupil in the middle. I don't have a photo of this as my camera ran out of batteries.

From this point you can just pop the iris onto a round white gather and turn it into an eyeball marble. You can also add a triangle of whit on either side and from there add eyelids etc.
I included some sample end products below, but once you have a handle on making the irises, I'm sure you will know what to do with them.
Try encased exotic green, aurora or exotic red stringers for other colors ...

Hope all that made sense in spite of the crappy pictures.
If you try this and it helped you, please post some of your results in this thread, I'd love to see what you make from it.
If you have any problems doing this technique, please feel free to send me a message.

cheers,
Chris

*by stone cold I don't mean cold, I mean cold enough for the glass to be solid but still hot.
Attached Images

Running a
Old 2010-01-22, 4:47pm

and some examples
Attached Images

Running a
Old 2010-01-22, 10:49pm
Corgi Cult Member

Wow! Thank you Chris, both the tutorial and your eyes are great!

Old 2010-02-21, 2:58am
Borosapien

yeah i tried the tutorial and here is my eye thank you so much Chris.

Old 2010-02-21, 3:20am
Torchaholic ;)

This rocks! Thank You

FOLLOW OUR TRAVELS IN THE MOBILE SHOP !

Old 2010-02-21, 9:05am
Creatrixie

Wild! Thanks for sharing!

~Mary

There's always something new to learn!
COE 104
Old 2010-02-21, 9:55am
Mandrel Slayer

Awesome and Wicked. Thanks.

Bonny

Nothing right now

What happens in Rockland, stays in Rockland.....
Hellcat, Two M-15s, propane and finally no tanked oxy.
Old 2010-02-21, 10:26am
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassroger View Post
Chris,
Once again I have to thank you for sharing this, you are just awesome! Here is a picture of some eyes that I made up yesterday using your explanation. These are soft glass, but your info and technique made all of the difference.
THANK YOU!

These are amazing and many thanks to the generosity of Chris.
Roger The eye at the bottom left, the golden hazel one is just captivating to me. I keep picturing it placed into a plant like Seymor's, Audrey II in the little shop of horrors...LOL

If it was a baby sized AudreyII plant that you made I would BUY one!!! ( if it wasn't too expensive) I know, I'am a strange cupcake
Lorraine
Old 2010-02-21, 12:36pm
In spite of it all!

Great Tutorial! I hope I can do it justice when I try it on one of these guys here in this post. They were last years fun and I want to now expand on it. I have dreamed these guys since I was a kid.... so they HAVE to have the right eyes! I think your kindness in sharing this tutorial will give me the tweak skill I needed. This is just soooo COOL of you!

Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us. ~ Stephen Covey

Old 2010-02-21, 1:12pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

I'm kind of lost. You make a dot of black on the end of a punty,
then add cased stripes of color around the black 'overlapping' the
black part and a bit of the clear? Then you pull back on the rod to
stretch the color part out. What happens after that???

Ugh, I'm confused and I WANT to make cool eyes!!!

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2010-02-24, 11:47am
Borosapien

Here is another one i am hooked LOL.

Old 2010-02-24, 5:55pm
Happy Beadmaker!

OMG, Marcel, that is the coolest eye ever!!!! I'm going to go look at that tutorial if that is an example of a successful result, WOW!

And thanks, Wicked, for sharing such a neat technique!!!

~
~
~

Last edited by Lea Zinke; 2010-02-24 at 5:59pm.
Old 2010-04-29, 6:50am
Pyromaniac

Anyone care to share what other colors they're using successfully for their eyesses? I don't have blue lightning but my studio is going to be set back up this weekend - on tanked I want to try this!

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2010-04-29, 4:15pm

hi Chris
anything that will give you a bit of a fume will work, even colours that don't (such as canary). Personally I prefer the fumier colours.
Here's a few

Any of the fumy Momka colours .... coz they rock!
NS Amber Purple, Yellow, Exotic Green/Blue, blue/green/normal caramel

I'd say try anything you want, it's not that hard to find a colour that works. I just used lightning blue for the tute because it gives me a really nice blue iris.

also try different backgrounds for your iris, such as turbo cobalt, onyx, elvis, star white for different effects. Amber Purple for example will give you a blue when you put it over black or cobalt and a subtler yellow colour when you put it over white.

play around, have fun

Running a
Old 2010-11-12, 8:11pm

These look fantastic! Do you have to have a marble mold to do this? Sorry if that is an idiotic question^.^