LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-04-28, 5:25pm

Default Just upgraded to mini cc need some help?

Just fired up the mini cc for the first time and I am a nervous wreck.
What do you set your concentrator on when you are working on morretti glass?
Do I change it when I am working on Bullseye?
How large is the flame I need?

When I turned on the oxygen the thing would pop and the flame would go out for the first few times but I finally got it to work. Any idea what I was doing wrong?

I really want to make some beads tomorrow but the whole thing intimidates me so. I miss my hothead already...LOL
Ruth
Old 2006-04-28, 5:45pm
PyronamixK

Hang in there, you'll get it.

The problem with the pops and extinguishing flame was most likely caused from air in your lines. You're not doing anything wrong. If you bleed your oxygen line after each torch setting, then you will need to run the concentrator for a few minutes before each torch session to get the air out of the line.

Try to keep your candles between 1/4" and 3/8" in length with slight yellow/white tips. This is the same for all soft glass. For boro, you will want longer candles.
Old 2006-04-28, 9:17pm

I just upgraded to a Mini CC also, and had the same thing happen today, the pop which scared the crapola out of me! lol. But I persevered and managed to adjust the flame to what appears correct from looking at various pictures of what it should look like. I had no problem making some beads with it but didn't have a lot of time today to practice, should have time tomorrow. What I noticed though is the flame is sort of waving all over. I had heard it described as bushy, soft, etc., which is one reason I wanted to get it because I do small sculptural things that benefit from this type of flame. However, it is kind of just waving this way and that, very wispy. Is this normal? I can tell it's hotter than the Hot Head, but I didn't melt any blobs of glass onto my work surface.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-04-29, 5:00am
I fart diamonds

If your flame is waving all over the place, you either have a draft (most likely) or you don't have enough oxygen.

1. Turn your concentrator(s) on 1st and let them run for a few minutes with the torch valve open. I have mine set at 4.5, some people crank it all the way up.

2. When you are ready to light the torch, close the oxy valve and open the propane valve and light it. Make sure that you have at least a 4-6" flame.

3. Open the oxy valve slowly and adjust to the desired flame.

Old 2006-04-29, 5:34am
boro color bender

The pop happens when propane mixes with the oxygen in the oxygen tubes... or vice versa. It's just a tiny explosion inside the port. The rush of air as it expands blows out the flame. No biggie really. Air in your lines has nothing to do with the BANG. If you have air in your oxy lines, you'll blow the flame out, because it doesn't make propane burn as efficiantly when it mixes. Air it your lines isn't a big deal either. You'll get the hang of it. Just relax and don't panic, it's only fire.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-04-29, 9:14am
PyronamixK

The reason I felt that the pop and extinguishing flame in Ruth's situation was caused by air in the lines is that she said that she had just fired up the Mini CC for the first time. The rush of air from the lines is enough to blow out the flame and there will sometimes be a small pop. Sometimes if the purity of your oxygen is low, it can blow out the flame, too. But, it doesn't make a loud pop. Another time the torch can pop is when you have the oxygen valve open and the oxygen going (like when warming up the concentrator) when you open the propane valve and light the propane. This does not blow out the flame, though.

Now, if the torch consistantly bangs and shuts the flame off, or if you know the lines are already filled with oxygen (good purity) when it does this, it could be premixing and could signify a pin leak or a leaky gas valve. Also, if the bang is big enough to scare you, it could be that there is a leak somewhere causing the premixing.

Now, if you run a pilot light for a long time, propane can creep into the oxygen ports and pop when the oxygen is turned on, but this does not shut off the flame and is not a cause for concern.

If there is a leak, propane can travel into the oxygen space and ignite when the oxygen is introduced, causing a small explosion, a bang, and the flame to shut off. This is a concern. Any leak is a cause for concern, even small ones (they can become big ones in a very short time).

PS Sometimes, there can be a small gas leak that causes a pop, but does not cause the flame to blow out every time. These are usually just perceived as a nuissance where you don't quite know what to make of it. But like any leak, it can quickly get bigger and is a cause for concern.

If you suspect that your torch is premixing, but choose not to send it in for whatever reason (bad choice IMO), then please use flashback arrestors on your lines.

Last edited by kbinkster; 2006-04-29 at 9:20am.
Old 2006-04-29, 4:50pm

Thanks guys I finally got it going and it did not do the popping thing again.

Ruth
Old 2006-04-30, 4:58am
boro color bender

Awesome... I am so glad to hear it.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-04-30, 6:11pm

Hi Ruth,
Your Mini CC should have come with a video as to how to run it. There's alos good information on the ISGB website as to how to hook up a concentrator.
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2006-04-30, 11:24pm

I did not get the DVD that is supposed to come with the Mini CC and I've tried contacting someone from Carlisle twice by email with no luck. Does anyone know how I can get a copy of this DVD?

Old 2006-05-01, 6:17am

Pick up the phone and call them. Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2006-05-01, 7:11am

I purchased my mini cc from Carlisle. They were out of the DVD at the time, I had to call a couple times, but eventually they did send the DVD...so here is the # ٠800-922-1167, give them a call and just keep bugging them until you get the DVD

mini cc, ng, & 2 concentrators
Old 2006-05-01, 8:03am
PyronamixK

I agree with Paula and BeadingBabe, call Carlisle. I know it's convenient to shoot an email over, but things happen.

There was this guy who claimed that he sent GTT an email every week for three months, or something like that - a lot of emails. Anyway, they remembered getting two messages close together and calling the phone number left. After hearing from me that this guy said he sent tons of emails, they went through all their recieved emails (including what was in the spam folder) and found only those two messages from him - one sent one day and the other sent the next day. They had tried once to call the number he had left in his message, but did not reach him and so figured that if it were important, he would call them. All that time, he kept sending emails, thinking that they were ignoring him. Nobody knows what happened to all those emails he said he sent. I have a couple of theories, though.

Anyway, my point is that a simple phone call would have saved a lot of trouble and hurt feelings. And if you want something bad enough, you should call.