Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-03-26, 2:41pm
Bathroom Lurker

Default What does the RELAY look like in a chili pepper?

Ok, the dreaded kiln problems started for me last week. I called orton then they sent me to JenKen. I was told I needed the relay. I paid for it and got the package today. No instructions. Not sure if I got the right part.

What does the relay look like???

I got the coil looking thing to replace inside the kiln which is covered by a glass tube. It was a pain in the butt to change.

Anyway, I revved up the kiln, got to 300 and then it pooped out and the light stopped clicking and temps just plummeted - same problem I had before. I tried calling them again and the phone just rang and rang. Come to realize they leave at 4pm!!! It was 4:10 when I called. DARN!!!

To make a long story short, did I get the correct part - relay - or did they send me the element? Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-03-26, 6:40pm
sunscreen me baby

Yes, that is the relay. It is a PITA to install. I remember it vividly...

~

Old 2008-03-26, 8:01pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Problem is probably not relay.....

Check all wiring connections including thermocouple.

Is program still running in controller and is it correct...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2008-03-26, 8:07pm
Bathroom Lurker

Thanks Susan. I figured you'd know

Dale, the kiln was still programmed after I installed the relay. I didn't really look at the settings as I punched through them so I don't know if anything changed. I'll have to check tomorrow.

Old 2008-03-26, 8:42pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

I replaced the relay on my Jen Ken a couple of years ago. It was very simple to do. The customer service people at Jen Ken are very helpful. They emailed me a picture of where the relay should go plus talked to me over the phone while installing it.

Ebay:
Old 2008-03-27, 10:09am

If you got a coil that goes inside the glass tube, I think what you got is the heating element. The relay is a small black plastic piece with 4 metal "prongs" on it that goes inside the controller box outside the kiln and has a label on the side that reads "Potter and Brumfield T9AP1D52-12". I've replaced both my element and my relay in the past year and now try and keep a spare of each on hand. Some people have had luck finding the relays locally, but I had to order directly from Jen-Ken. I've got written directions that Jen-Ken sent me with the relays for how to replace them if you need them.

Old 2008-03-27, 3:49pm
Bathroom Lurker

Thanks. I had some down time at work today and called JenKen. They sent me the heating element and not the relay. They're crediting me the difference and sending me the relay. I hope that I can be torching again by the weekend.

Old 2008-03-27, 5:06pm
KILN BUILDIN FOOL

if your kiln heated up with the new element its not the relay,sounds like the element is out again.

Mike

When you tell lie's about someone, well you get what you get.
Old 2008-03-27, 5:17pm

When the relay went out in my Chili Pepper, it would start to heat and then quit. New relay fixed it.
Old 2008-03-29, 2:23pm
sunscreen me baby

losing one's mind is a scary thing.... sorry

~