Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2007-05-01, 12:47pm
yukue fumei

Default More Momka Murrini madness!

Woohoooo! thread hog here!! oink! oink!!!
I'm having a blast playing with these murrini! I just can't stop!

I pulled some of the rods down into smaller stringers and cut murrini from them so I have different sizes to play with:

The Antique Beauty and Blue Treasure make great eyeball murrini! Here is my test bead and an experiment with backing it with Momkas Pistachio and dotting with Black Rose:

I was curious whether a single murrini could be imploded in a marble and did this test...it turned out cool! I'm going to do a few more with multiples to see if I can get a bouquet :

Here are some beads made with momkas experimental colors and murrini the bead on the right has some of Trev's dichro--it's hard to photo, but it is a nice pastel lavender):

and a fishie! Made with unstruck Rainbow Blue, Pistachio, Antique Beauty, Brown Glitter, Alaska Night, and Momkas experimental.

Can you tell I am having a blast?!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
nagi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-05-01, 1:37pm
I'm too sexy for my shirt

Wow Nagi, those are all very beautiful. It would be very hard to choose, if I could only pick one.

I need to send my Monka to you to cut up into murrini.

#K58
Old 2007-05-01, 1:40pm
mystical cat lover 56

sweet !
Old 2007-05-01, 2:14pm
yukue fumei

Thanks Jerri and dragon myst!

Jerri-OMG I wish wish wish they had some premade packs of this murrini.....would make playing with them easier. While I wait for my kiln to warm up I am pulling stringers and cutting them up
I have more experiments in mind--jelly fish, rings, chrysanthemums and what not--lots of fun!

nagi

Old 2007-05-01, 2:22pm
Serenity Now!

Fantastic!

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2007-05-01, 2:25pm
Renee Weaver

Wow! I especially love the field of flowers bead, Absolutely beautiful!!!!

Old 2007-05-01, 7:53pm
yukue fumei

Thanks so much Val and Renee!

nagi

Old 2007-05-01, 9:05pm
Gay rights R human rights

Ok can you explain how you pulled thinner stringers to cut up. Did you melt a gather and pull stringer like you would in soft glass. Or did you warm up a length of rod, attach a punty and pull? I would think that the thinner ones would be easier to cut up that is why I am interested. Also I like the idea of the different sizes.

Leslie
Old 2007-05-01, 10:39pm
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Nagi what an awesome job you did! I absolutely adore the third bead, and look at those murini's, *drool*

Suzanne

Old 2007-05-02, 7:20am
yukue fumei

Thanks so much Suzanne!!

nagi

Old 2007-05-02, 7:25am

Very Nice! My results have been ok with it, but they don't compare to yours! Keep 'em coming!

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2007-05-02, 7:46am
yukue fumei

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggybubba View Post
Ok can you explain how you pulled thinner stringers to cut up. Did you melt a gather and pull stringer like you would in soft glass. Or did you warm up a length of rod, attach a punty and pull? I would think that the thinner ones would be easier to cut up that is why I am interested. Also I like the idea of the different sizes.

Leslie
Hi Leslie!
I am pulling stringer the inefficient nagi way! LOL!
I point my rod perpendicular down into the flame and heat the end, twirling as normal. As it gets glowy, I slowly pull down on it with tweezers(gently, making sure both sides are heated good, or the pull gets a bit crooked) and at the same time feed more of the rod down into the flame. I keep heating and pulling with a tweezer until I have a length I like, then melt off the end. This way I can get a straight stringer and control the size of the murrini.
I have both the rod nippers and murrini nippers and both work, but the murrini nipper makes thinner, cleaner cuts. I hold the stringer and nippers in a gallon plastic bag when I cut it so the murrini don't fly everywhere(I think I still have murrini all over the place from my first try without the bag )
The murrini spreads easily when melted on a bead, so even a really small murrini can make a good bead sized flower. And, a thin stringer can be used to twist glass and leaves a nice tiny flower when broken away! I love this effect!

nagi

Old 2007-05-02, 8:52am

Beautiful work with those murinni. wonderful!

I have been pulling down Murrini I made recently. I put it in the kiln and bring it up to 1050 for soft but it would also benefit for an even heat up with boro.
I then heat a clear rod and get a molten glob and attach it to a one inch cut piece of murinni. I put another clear rod on the other side and melt and pull like a thick stringer. heat evenly and slowly before you pull. You will maintain the design inside and have different sizes.

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2007-05-02, 9:04am
yukue fumei

Very cool Heather--thanks!!

nagi

Old 2007-05-02, 9:34am
yukue fumei

ok- here is my first jellyfish attempt....kinda hard to see with the reflection. The jelly top is Blue treasure Murrini but I poked the center and angled up to make it look like a jellyfish. the tentacles are Momkas experimental and Momkas Silver Aqua.

and here is a deepsea ghost fish. The eyeball turned out too big! LOL! The body is made from Silver Aqua on a base of Lustrous blue and Alaska Night. I think I will try a non reactive background for next time so the wonderful silver reactions from the Silver Aqua are highlighted...

nagi

Old 2007-05-02, 11:57am

Wow Nagi, those are beautiful too.

#K58
Old 2007-05-02, 12:04pm
yukue fumei

thanks Jerri!

nagi

Old 2007-05-02, 12:26pm

nagi, you rock! All awesome beads and I can't wait to try my murrine!
Jo
Old 2007-05-02, 1:14pm
San Diego Toni

Nagi those are great!! I did an implosion with a few of them in class last friday - I hope it looks as good!

Old 2007-05-02, 2:43pm
yukue fumei

thanks Jo!

Hi Toni! thanks! Please post your implosion when it comes out of the kiln!!! I'd love to see it!

nagi

Old 2007-05-04, 6:38pm

Cool beads Nagi - I love what you're doing with Momka's murini! Keep showing your work!!!

Sally
Old 2007-05-05, 7:31am
yukue fumei

Thanks so much Sally!!

I have a couple of marbles in the kiln right now....I will post soon...
I haven't made flower marbles in quite a long time and they came out bubbly and lopsided but I like the colors alot and had a great time!!!
I have about 500 psi left in the tank so it is beads for this weekend.....

nagi

Old 2007-05-05, 12:52pm
yukue fumei

Marble madness! Yikes--it's bubble city!!! Embarassing! but oh well--learning is fun!!!
Here is an experiment with Momkas experimental colors and a hint of Colormax

Here is a marble made with Momkas Blue Treasure. I really like this color alot.....lots of variation in color with no effort at all. the cream color is a bright buttery yellow with the blue/green veils running over it--just amazing. I didn't heat the core of the marble enough so I got some flattening. I will definitely be trying this color out again!

Here is what I got from Antique Beauty--I LOVE this color too--hard to choose between Antique Beauty and Blue Treasure on which I like better. The Blue green literally glows on this one. I was so excited abou this marble that within an hour of it coming out of the kiln I gave it away to a friend(who thought somehow I trapped a real flower inside glass--huh?) There were hints of purple there too.....and I loved the way the colors blended from cream to deep blue....wow!

and last but not least--of course--what else but MOMKAS MURRINI!!! LOL!!!!
this is the backing for the Blue Treasure marble. It is made with a coil of Momkas experimental purple and the murrini......very Hawaiian, don't you think? I LOVE it....I don't know if she has plans on making it a regular color, but I LOVE the purple you can get with it.....I am coveting my little stash like noone's business!!!

Anyhoo, that is the report for today
I think I might get the courage up to try a jellyfish implosion and then if I still have O2 left maybe another marble....gosh darn I need to get something going on with the O2 supply......I love making marbles but hate having to switch out tanks all the time.....

nagi

Old 2007-05-05, 12:56pm
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Nagi you rock!!!!! THose marbles are to die for

Old 2007-05-05, 1:12pm

Nagi, absolutely beautiful!!!

#K58
Old 2007-05-06, 4:50pm
yukue fumei

Hi Suzanne and Jerri!
Thank you so much !!!

whoo boy!
My allergies kicked in full force this weekend and I am soo groggy....but here is some more experiments before I go back to sleepy.....
first, another flower marble made with Sunset orange, experimental color and Antique beauty:

and some jellyfish drop pendants made with Blue Treasure and Silver Aqua(there are 2 pics of one of the pendants to show the top and how the pattern of the murrini makes a nice jellyfish cap ):

and my new favorite--mini marbles!!! I liked them so much I made one into a ring!!! I am loving the ring--what do you think? I am going to try a flatter profile but oh my--I really like it--a marble I can wear!!! And the nicest thing--they don't take a whole lot of O2!! Yippee!! I think I am going to try and make a necklace or bracelet with these mini marbles next....lots' of fun to think about!!! These were made with either Antique Beauty or Blue Treasure:

Oh my....I am going back to sleep but thank you guys for checking out my experiments!!!

nagi

Old 2007-05-06, 5:23pm
In search of her path....

These are so kick A**....I cant wait to be able to pick up some of thise stuff to give it a try....

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2007-05-06, 5:27pm
mystical cat lover 56

Thumbs up

I soooooo love the ring and the marbles rock !
Old 2007-05-07, 7:42am
yukue fumei

Thanks so much IF-Designs and dragon myst!!!

nagi

Old 2007-05-07, 9:05am
yukue fumei

not too much from yesterday.....an ultra mini jelly fish marble!

nagi