Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Closed Thread

Old 2010-10-27, 9:22am

Houkje that's the most impressive burned up appliance I've ever seen. !! Glad no one was injured and the house didn't go up in flames.
Hey everybody, I took most of the summer off from my torch because it was so hot. For me anyway, life is about balance, and I chose to spend that time getting to know my new horse Ranger. I have a picture of us on my profile page. Ranger is so layed back that he never misses an opportunity for a nap. He's pretty much snoring in the picture. He has been a wonderful addition to our animal family, and takes good care of me.
I wanted to post pictures of some beads I've been working on. What little time I spent on the torch this summer was used to get a feel for silver glass. It is great fun, although somewhat frustrating, but when you get the colors to bloom. WOW.! It opens up a whole new window of creativity.
So, the first bead is on a base of psycho dark rose transparent...LOL. When the glass "works", it's truly stunning. Shards by avenue Beads (thanks Joe) with dots of Ekho. I can nail the color about 65% of the time.

The next beads are from Naos fire opal bead tutorial, these are a black base with Terra 2 and Ekho.

These beads are something new for me, and this one was made on a base of ice blue transparent, rolled in SOP blue green frit, with the same color wrapped ends. Peach shards and handmade murrini.

Base is trans dark rose, I got the base bead done, then had a big old senior moment about what to do next....so I didn't do much.....LOL. There's alot of real estate to decorate here as these beads measure 45 to 50mm long and are about 20mm wide. You need a plan going in.!!

I love this yellow green transparent glass, it works up great, minimal bubbles, gorgeous color. It's the first time I've used goldstone stringers, on this design, usually I use black. I wasn't sure how fast the stringer would burn down, so I went thicker. Now I know what the melt time is, I will be using finer stringer in the future. Shards are silvered Ivory, handmade murrinis.

The only base I've been able to encase with the transparent dk rose and not have cracking issues, is the op butterscotch. In this set of lentils I used dk champagne rose, efettre med aqua, opal yellow stringer and copper green dots.

Same color combinations here, I made 3 of these beads and this is the only one that survived, so I don't know what's up with that.

This bead has pink shards that look etched after they're melted, the base is dk champagne trans, which I really love. It's a refreshing break from the topaz and amber colors. I love the peach factor to this glass. When I don't want so many bubbles, I pull the larger rods down into stringers. It helps clear the glass up.

So, that's what I've been up to. Holly
Old 2010-10-27, 9:44am

Nice Holly! I know I have such issues with some of the transparents cracking when I use them to encase! Nice work on the silver glass, you are right, quite tricky sometimes. I have been slowly trying those also. Wish they weren't so expensive lol!
Here are a couple from me, the blue discs are Devardi light transparent blue and the others are the dark brown with sis.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-10-27, 9:46am

Holly-great work! I love the lentils! What color is the shards on the first one? It is gorgeous!

I understand about the heat. It is hard to work when sweat is dripping into your eyes! Congrats on the new horse.
Old 2010-10-27, 9:47am

Sonja-very pretty! Are the blue ones etched?
Old 2010-10-27, 10:02am

Thanks Bethany and Sonja. Bethany the top shard is called Mottled green. It is a striking shard but I made the bead with just my propane set up. I'm going to try hooking up to the Mapp pro and see if I can coax more color out of that shard.
Sonja, I love how that SIS went bonkers on the brown, both sets are awesome !! Ok, on the silver glass..... Look up Ambers (Naos) fire opal tut, it's FREE, in the tutorial section. BLESS HER HEART !! Try those beads, it will give you an idea of what you can do with the silver glass. Those were my first attempts at working with ANY kind of silver glass and I was so stoked over the colors I was able to get. When you put the dots or stringers of Ekho, on top of the silver, it really gives the Ekho a kick in the pants......LOL. I've found that Terra 2 and Ekho are hands down the best glass for getting your feet wet. I get the full rainbow of colors with both of them. My biggest issue is my beads are so dang BIG that sometimes I can't pop the colors on ALL the dots that I make. Dots are tricky. There are 2 really good threads about using Ekho and Terra2 also and so many wonderful pictures. If I can do this Sonja, you can too. But I truly think if you try the fire opals it will teach you so much
Old 2010-10-27, 10:19am

Thanks! Yes the blue ones are etched, they are much bluer etched than unetched. I like doing the very pale transparent and etching them it brings out the color much better.

I have I think 8 different rods now of silver glass, I know I have the Terra 2 but don't think I have the ekho. I will give her tut a try when I get back from this beading weekend and see what happens. I also got the storming tut so maybe that will help too lol.

Old 2010-10-27, 11:17am

Sonja, are you on your dual system torch? If you are, dig out your HotHead to give the Terra 2 a try. You should get great results right off the bat. Maybe you've been working more with the reduction colors than the striking colors? I think the Ekho, Terra2, Clio and Kalypso are easier because of the striking factor. So far I've had no luck with the reduction glasses except for Gaia, and that, with mixed results. Sometimes it goes....sometimes I end up with very expensive green transparent This is a test lentil I did with butterscotch as a base, Gaia swirled in.
Old 2010-10-27, 11:55am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Hi Holly! Glad to see you back again! Beautiful horse and so nice to see you in person!

Your new work is exciting! Beautiful combos!
Old 2010-10-27, 12:06pm

Hi Kristina, THANKS It was such a miserable summer, I know just about everybody suffered through it. I just could not run 2 torches and sit in front of all that HEAT!!! AGH.
So we took refuge in the woods and did a ton of trailriding instead.
Old 2010-10-27, 12:20pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby firefly View Post
Hi Kristina, THANKS It was such a miserable summer, I know just about everybody suffered through it. I just could not run 2 torches and sit in front of all that HEAT!!! AGH.
So we took refuge in the woods and did a ton of trailriding instead.
What a heavenly activity to spend your time on. I would have a very hard time choosing a torch over a favorite horse! I used to ride years ago and I still miss it.

So let's see that wonderful artist brain of yours in action! I sure missed seeing your work!

And SONJA your sets of beads are gorgeous!
Old 2010-10-27, 3:23pm

Wow I totally missed the horse part lol, I was so focused on the beads! Congrats! Sounds like a lovely way to spend the summer!

I have gaia too, I like the way it turned out on the butterscotch. I also have multi colored dark I think, psyche, and triton. I really like triton and psyche, don't have much trouble with those but I have been putting off playing, and making myself really work on those chandelier drops. which are now done thank goodness!

Old 2010-10-27, 4:29pm

Sonja, could you post one of those chandelier drops, so I could see one? That sounded like a pretty interesting project. I have some psyche, but it's a very fine frit....and so far, I haven't been bowled over by it. I'm sure it will be useful someday....right now it just sits on the shelf and makes fun of me.....

Kristina, I think taking the time off helped in the creative dept. My head was getting to cluttered..... LOL.....I'm working on some new things and will post as they progress.
Old 2010-10-28, 7:48am

Of course I have pictures lol.

Here is the original ones with one of each done.

And these are the finished ones. The purple ones are over 2 inches long. It was quite the learning experience!

Old 2010-10-28, 8:29am
If the Wooden Shoes Fit??

Kristina & Holly... Yes I did a fine melt down (both me and the warmer).. Not to be repeated any time soon!!!! LOL ..

Holly... Welcome back, we missed you... You must have gotten the summer heat we never got here in SK., come to think of it we never got summer (cold and rainy)... And now we have snow about 2" to 3" on the ground...
I love the beads, those are fantastic.. My favorites are the yellow green transparent... Isn't that a yummy color??? And the pink shards one... I think the shapes are great...

Sonja... Beautiful drops... I'll bet that those big purple drops are something when the light shines through them.. Do you have a picture of the lighting fixture they are on???
I really like the disk beads, they turned out very elegant looking... I really like the dark brown.. I have gotten colors from a milk chocolate to an almost black color... Also it reacts very nice with other colors... I'll see if I can find the pics of some of the reactions I've gotten...

Big Hugs, We all need them...

Last edited by starlightforge; 2010-10-28 at 8:45am.
Old 2010-10-28, 8:41am

2 inches of hot dangling glass !!! I can see where that could get kind of dicey. She's lucky she found you, and you were able to get the job done....and beautifully!!!!
Old 2010-10-28, 9:52am

Thanks guys! lol if I never have to do another it will be too soon! I did however learn alot about heat control and am more willing to explore sculptural things I think than before. I don't have a picture yet (I am awaiting final payment via check before I mail them off) but she said she would send me a picture when its up.

Old 2010-10-28, 12:08pm
Semi Retired

Default multi color dark on Devardi

Wow, so many beautiful beads posted. Holly I was really intrigued by the pearly shimmer of the pink shard. Do you mind sharing the source?

Well, I was stunned by the 104 Reichenbach Multicolor on Devardi's Indian Marble and Frog Green.

|

|

|

|

Old 2010-10-28, 12:35pm

Excellent colors together! I wonder how the frog green would do with Striking Colors? I will have to try it.
Old 2010-10-28, 5:19pm

Mary, NICE BEAD !! Oh, I love that marble glass, lots of fun reactions. No problem on the shards, I got a bunch from Joe at Avenue Beads last fall, and am just now starting to really play with them. He's having a 25% off sale now through the end of Oct The pink shard is called Pink Special.

Bethany, I blew it when you asked about the shard on the trans dk rose bead, it's actually Sky Stone.......oops. Will pm you just in case you miss this post.
Old 2010-10-28, 8:01pm
Semi Retired

Bethany, please let us know how striking glass reacts.

Holly, thanks. I will check out Joe's shards.

|

|

|

|

Old 2010-10-29, 5:24am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Wow Mary! Post more!
Old 2010-10-30, 9:37am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dichromary View Post
Wow, so many beautiful beads posted. Holly I was really intrigued by the pearly shimmer of the pink shard. Do you mind sharing the source?

Well, I was stunned by the 104 Reichenbach Multicolor on Devardi's Indian Marble and Frog Green.

Beautiful reactions..

Old 2010-10-31, 2:46am

It's been awhile since I checked in. The beads I see are stunning. Baby Firefly, I just love your new beads/ Fine Folly, your sculpture is amazing. Sonja, you always make beautiful beads. Would love to comment on everybody personally, but that would take days. I enjoyed visiting the thread again. WOW!! Great Beads.

Nell

[url= "
href="
ref=profile&id=1617182017" target="_blank">Facebook

[
Old 2010-10-31, 12:00pm

Hi Nell, Thanks for the comps on my beads, I actually learned how to post them all by myself.....LOL. Wow, I feel bad for complaining about the heat this summer, I don't know how you manage in Florida. Glad you popped in
Old 2010-10-31, 5:15pm

Happy Halloween everyone..

Could someone tell me what color this is??? It looks like NCN-Opaque Medium Brown in the rod.. Melted it is more of a mustardy color than brown.. I like the color, just want to know what it is...
Name:  PIC_1961_edited.jpg
Views: 2830
Size:  66.0 KB
I remember reading somewhere that the Copper Brillo Pads could be used in beads, so I gave it a try.. These are the beads I made..

Old 2010-10-31, 7:49pm

That is WILD !!! Did the copper cause the bubbles or is there a secret ingredient....dishsoap maybe?...LOL.

It looks like med brown, but I can honestly say I've never had it go mustard on me, do you suppose that could be a reaction from the copper?
Old 2010-10-31, 9:42pm

Thank you.. Dish soap, that is funny, but no that is the copper when it is encased.. I had to put 2 layers of clear on to keep the bubbles from braking through.. I would say that maybe there is some brass in the copper to make it bubble like that.. But I'm not sure..
I will make a plain test bead tomorrow with this rod and see if it is the copper that made it turn the mustard color.. And if it still turns the mustard color then I'll ask Natasha, she'll know.. I'll also do a bead with a rod that I know is NCN-Opaque Medium Brown, one with the brillo copper and one plain..
Here is NCN-Opaque Dark Brown with the Copper brillo pad.. No reaction other than the bubbles..
Name:  PIC_1967_edited.jpg
Views: 2178
Size:  39.3 KB
The bubbles don't show very well, but the white lines in the beads are tiny bubbles.. Very poor picture.. Sorry..

Old 2010-11-01, 7:03pm

I did some test beads for the NCN-Opaque Medium Brown with copper wire and silver/copper frit mix encased in D1- Super Clear, to see if the mustard color and bubbles were caused by just the copper or just the Copper Brillo Pads..
From left to right:
NCN-Opaque Medium Brown with 28 gauge copper wire.. Darker Mustard color, but no bubbles, and the wire turned a bright red color..
NCN-Opaque Medium Brown, Marked rod..
NCN-Opaque Medium Brown, Unmarked rod..
Name:  PIC_2013_edited.jpg
Views: 1610
Size:  51.5 KB
From left to right:
NCN-Opaque Medium Brown with Copper/silver frit mix.. Darker Mustard color, but no bubbles, good frit reaction..
NCN-Opaque Medium Brown with silver foil not encased..
NCN-Opaque Medium Brown with 28 gauge twisted copper wire.. Darker Mustard color, but no bubbles, and the wire turned a bright copper red color..
Name:  PIC_2021_edited.jpg
Views: 1717
Size:  51.5 KB
I would say that the lighter mustard color, the black lines and the bubbles are caused by the Copper Brillo Pad... I have named these beads "Pot Scrubber"
Name:  PIC_1961_edited.jpg
Views: 1600
Size:  66.0 KB

Old 2010-11-02, 12:22pm

Love the copper in the beads. Especially the twisted wire one!
Old 2010-11-06, 5:53pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Hi Everyone, I've been going Froggie again... one is an Eyeglass Holder and the other is on an Interchangable Bead Holder. The murrini is from Lori&Kim. Love their candy colors!

.•:*:•.
Closed Thread

Tags
devardi