Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Closed Thread

Old 2010-11-19, 8:43pm

Only the parts that are in the warmer. There is a rod rest on the outside that you can set the end on and that part stays cool enough to work with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-11-19, 8:51pm
Help i am on fire

thanks so much for your help
Old 2010-11-19, 9:23pm

too bad you live so far away, I would run over and work with you with this glass if you lived a wee bit closer lol. It really is a yummy glass once you get used to it. And at least if you lose a rod to shattering it didn't cost you $100 a pound.

Old 2010-11-20, 2:28am
Glass Savant

And you can use the shocked rods for frit.

Speaking of, I have been having fun with frit lately...

Old 2010-11-20, 5:22am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Default Rod Warmer Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by bead-meltdown View Post
they are sold out, well temp. out of stock of rod warmers.

does the rod warmer make the rods to hot to touch? while i am waiting for rod warmer i use a hot plate, w/ half rod on plate and half off. i have a hard time touching the rods they are so hot.
You can get any Rod Warmer you like. Here is a link to many price levels, based on the size of the unit. As you can see, I have a huge rod of clear in. I normally keep about 8 rods in my warmer. When you are done using a rod be sure to roll the end on a marver to take the heat out of it, so that you don't put it back in the Rod Warmer with a molten tip - or it will stick to the Warmer and other rods.

http://www.google.com/search?q=ceram...=shop%3A1&aq=f

I turn over a nut can and use the bottom of it as a support for my rod ends. You only put 2-3" of the rod into the Warmer. Devardi also sells a rod holder for when your glass rods get short. That way you can use up almost all of your rod.

You can keep Murrini hot on top too.

Old 2010-11-20, 5:26am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by user View Post
And you can use the shocked rods for frit.

Speaking of, I have been having fun with frit lately...

I guess you have! Those are beautiful combos!
Old 2010-11-20, 5:46am
Help i am on fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRiverJewelry View Post
too bad you live so far away, I would run over and work with you with this glass if you lived a wee bit closer lol. It really is a yummy glass once you get used to it. And at least if you lose a rod to shattering it didn't cost you $100 a pound.
thanks so much i wish you did live by me.
Old 2010-11-20, 5:50am
Help i am on fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fine Folly Glassworks View Post
You can get any Rod Warmer you like. Here is a link to many price levels, based on the size of the unit. As you can see, I have a huge rod of clear in. I normally keep about 8 rods in my warmer. When you are done using a rod be sure to roll the end on a marver to take the heat out of it, so that you don't put it back in the Rod Warmer with a molten tip - or it will stick to the Warmer and other rods.

http://www.google.com/search?q=ceram...=shop%3A1&aq=f

I turn over a nut can and use the bottom of it as a support for my rod ends. You only put 2-3" of the rod into the Warmer. Devardi also sells a rod holder for when your glass rods get short. That way you can use up almost all of your rod.

thanks so much for the info. i went lookin and could not find a thing under rod warmer, dah. can always count on the my LE friends.

You can keep Murrini hot on top too.

thanks so much for the info. i went lookin and could not find a thing under rod warmer, dah. can always count on the my LE friends.
Old 2010-11-20, 7:26am

Your welcome bead-meltdown
And user nice beads!

Here is what I do with all the pieces of frit and the really short ends I don't feel like melting to another rod to use up. I have one of those starage containers that have the little plastic drawers in them (like 20) that you can get at home depot or wherever. I sort all the little pieces of glass and frit by color combos (for instance, pink, lime green and black with a little bit of clear thrown in for the fun of it, this is a really great color combo for frit by the way) and all the pieces big and small go into one of the drawers. I add to that drawer those colors until I have a nice amount of small pieces and shattered bit. I then turn it into frit with my home made frit maker, I usually get about three sizes, big, just right and powder. I sift it into those three categories and put each into a container. Now I have two sizes of frit and some powder to play with and very little waste.

I made my own frit maker but you can also use a coffee grinder (don't grind coffee in it when you are done please!) Which may be the route I will take soon, simply because its a bit faster than the pipe in pipe method. Either way, make sure you use a mask so you don't inhale any glass powder if you are making your own frit.

And could everyone please let us know what your name is? I feel kind of odd calling people by their user names sometimes lol.

Old 2010-11-20, 7:43am
Help i am on fire

hi my name is shelley, i have a coffee grinder. thanks again
Old 2010-11-20, 7:44am
Help i am on fire

Quote:
I guess you have! Those are beautiful combos!
nice colors user.
Old 2010-11-20, 8:27am
StudioMarcy

I just place my rods on top of my kiln. I used to put them inside to keep warm, but found that they took up too much space and tried the top. It seems to work fine for me. I just have to remember to hang them over the edge, so there's a part cool enough that my hand can hold. I mix my devardi with all my other 104, so I don't have any devardi specific items. do most of you mix with other brands as well?
Marcy

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2010-11-20, 9:02am
Bigger, longer, and uncut

I got a "heater stove" from Sally Beauty Supply. My first one died after several months--I'm on my second one now. I also tuck a rod end under the kiln door. I have no patience for preheating Devardi rods in the flame.

After I'm done winding the glass onto the mandrel, I stick the rod back into the stove to prevent cracking while cooling. Then I'll usually move the rod to the top of my kiln.

Old 2010-11-20, 9:29am
Oh my!

So I tried all of the suggestions I got here and nothing has helped get rid of my 'burnt' looking glass. So I broke down and sent an email to Devardi. OMG talk about good customer service. Natasha got back to me in less than an hour!! I told her the problems I am having and the things I have tried. She gave me some other suggestions (like cleaning my torch) to try. I get to work today, so no torch time. But I will get on it first thing in the morning tomorrow. I will keep you all posted.
Old 2010-11-20, 9:51am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeky clothespin View Post
So I tried all of the suggestions I got here and nothing has helped get rid of my 'burnt' looking glass. So I broke down and sent an email to Devardi. OMG talk about good customer service. Natasha got back to me in less than an hour!! I told her the problems I am having and the things I have tried. She gave me some other suggestions (like cleaning my torch) to try. I get to work today, so no torch time. But I will get on it first thing in the morning tomorrow. I will keep you all posted.
That's wonderful! We have gotten the same great customer service each time we have had a need too.
Old 2010-11-20, 11:42am
Glass Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRiverJewelry View Post
And could everyone please let us know what your name is? I feel kind of odd calling people by their user names sometimes lol.
I did introduce myself in my first post in this thread but that is a couple pages ago now... I'm Jay.

I'll try to add my name to my sig...

Quote:
Devardi also sells a rod holder for when your glass rods get short. That way you can use up almost all of your rod.
I made my own...

(much cheaper)
Old 2010-11-20, 12:59pm
<–I really do inks!

Thank you everyone for your encouragement. I can't remember who said Natasha would be very helpful... well, I worked in advertising forever, and I must say, they have some of the BEST customer service I have ever seen.

I did try making a stringer and whoa, tooth picks anyone? I have an old crock pot which also can be used as a griddle. I put aluminum foil over the heater plate and on top, so it created a long tent. This is working nice because my glass can lay flat, unlike my mickey waffle iron

I did have a major learning ... never try to use silver leaf instead of the silver foil! This could be a tough occupation for ADHD people! I really admire all you pros!

Don't worry I am not giving up! and I really like how this glass looks, please just keep on me to get the portrait commission done by Christmas, instead of sitting behind my torch all the time!!!!!

Imagination is a powerful thing!
Thanks in advance! Beth

Old 2010-11-20, 1:13pm
Help i am on fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewschott View Post
Thank you everyone for your encouragement. I can't remember who said Natasha would be very helpful... well, I worked in advertising forever, and I must say, they have some of the BEST customer service I have ever seen.

I did try making a stringer and whoa, tooth picks anyone? I have an old crock pot which also can be used as a griddle. I put aluminum foil over the heater plate and on top, so it created a long tent. This is working nice because my glass can lay flat, unlike my mickey waffle iron

I did have a major learning ... never try to use silver leaf instead of the silver foil! This could be a tough occupation for ADHD people! I really admire all you pros!

Don't worry I am not giving up! and I really like how this glass looks, please just keep on me to get the portrait commission done by Christmas, instead of sitting behind my torch all the time!!!!!

i want a micky mouse rod warmer. i went to thrift store today and for 2 dolla i got a george forman. george and me are going to be melting together. i will let you know.
Old 2010-11-20, 3:14pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Default Pulling a Devardi Stringer

Quote:

I did try making a stringer and whoa, tooth picks anyone?

Don't worry I am not giving up!

I'm SO glad you found out how great they are at Devardi. They always help. I want to tell you how I pull stringers in and above the flame of my Hothead. Maybe others of us can also chime in and tell their steps.

When you go to pull a stringer, after thorough preheating, heat the end of the rod until it's just beginning to glow and then hold it above the flame, but still in the heating zone. Then pinch a tab with your pliers and let the tab cool just a bit, then SLOWLY start to pull. The rod end stays above the flame with about 1/2" to 3/4" to the right of the flame, as you pull with your right hand.

The thickness of your Tab and first pull and the slowness will give you a stringer as thick as your Tab base IF you pull slowly. I try to keep the rod end about 3/4" to the right of the flame once I start pulling, and then I pull and slowly move the rod to the right as I am slowly pulling stringer and as I use the glass rod hot-zone up in the stringer.

Then, to cut the stringer put it in the flame and gently pull the ROD to the left. It leaves a nicer tip on the stringer than the other way around. I can pull stringers in any thickness doing it this way.

I hope that is clearer than mud! Maybe I can do pics at some point.

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2010-11-20 at 3:20pm.
Old 2010-11-20, 4:57pm

There is a video and tutorial here: http://www.jcherrell.com/pullingstringer.htm on pulling stringers. Hope that helps!
Old 2010-11-20, 6:53pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bead-meltdown View Post
i want a micky mouse rod warmer. i went to thrift store today and for 2 dolla i got a george forman. george and me are going to be melting together. i will let you know.
I use a piece of wood to elevate my grill, I realized I was in trouble when I put the rods in there and then they fell out Just elevate the front of the grill to the point that it's stable and you'll be good to go !
Old 2010-11-20, 7:02pm

Quote:

I did have a major learning ... never try to use silver leaf instead of the silver foil! This could be a tough occupation for ADHD people! I really admire all you pros
Don't give up on the leaf, as it gives a different look than foil, and more often than not, I find myself reaching for it instead of foil. When you work with leaf, cut several pages of the booklet at once, with a scissors. It works great. Always use your tweezers when you handle the leaf and if you put a dot of water on a marver, then lay your leaf on that, it will hold it in place. Try not to sneeze, or cough during this process, and turn your fan down...not up...ask me how I know. LOL.
Old 2010-11-20, 7:10pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
I just place my rods on top of my kiln. I used to put them inside to keep warm, but found that they took up too much space and tried the top. It seems to work fine for me. I just have to remember to hang them over the edge, so there's a part cool enough that my hand can hold. I mix my devardi with all my other 104, so I don't have any devardi specific items. do most of you mix with other brands as well?
Marcy

I am always using it with effetre, but I also try to test it together. Most of my Froggie beads are a mix of effetre and Devardi. For example, on this one the dented hollow was Devardi but the Froggie was effetre Pea Green.

Do you have any favorite combinations?

Old 2010-11-20, 7:37pm
just plain silly

Elizabeth, I looked at your website and, holy moley, you have a tremendous talent. Your portraits are truly exquisite!

Suzanne
Old 2010-11-21, 4:25am
Help i am on fire

george worked great, he does alot of moaning and groaning. i guess that why he was 2 dolla. as i told holly my minor and oxy/con will be set up soon. i have no clue what to do. i am reading up and am completely confused and scared..... so if you hear of a lampworker blowing up and she had a george forman grill next to her, a curling iron , hot plates, please please explain to the press.
Old 2010-11-21, 4:38am
StudioMarcy

Shelley, If you want to post photos of how you've set things up for us to double check anything or even pm me, please feel free to. I remember how scared I was when I first did the same thing. I waited a few days until I had enough courage to try it all.

Devardi and other glass combinations? I just use it as needed. I love the medium brown for my branches that I make and I use other brand's greens for leaves, I did have a problem with cracking with my Christmas fish, where I used that light green, but it was probably my fault for not keeping the head warm enough. Although I have noticed that sometimes I need to keep some of that glass warmer than my Moretti. (anyone else see that at times?)

I will pay more attention and take a photo next time I use it, so I remember what I combine it with. I guess it's just so natural to combine all my glasses that I don't really think as I use them. it's just what color do I want to use for whatever reason.

Looking forward to seeing more photos....
Marcy

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2010-11-21, 4:40am
Help i am on fire

marcy thank you, and i will post for any help
Old 2010-11-22, 8:53pm
<–I really do inks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby firefly View Post
Don't give up on the leaf, as it gives a different look than foil, and more often than not, I find myself reaching for it instead of foil. When you work with leaf, cut several pages of the booklet at once, with a scissors. It works great. Always use your tweezers when you handle the leaf and if you put a dot of water on a marver, then lay your leaf on that, it will hold it in place. Try not to sneeze, or cough during this process, and turn your fan down...not up...ask me how I know. LOL.
Does this mean I should roll it out of the flame when I'm done and not heat it? It turned to ash when I tried it in the flame, but then I was trying to make a twisted tooth pic... sorry stringer.

Imagination is a powerful thing!
Thanks in advance! Beth

Old 2010-11-22, 10:26pm

Beth, I pm'd ya !!
Old 2010-11-23, 6:14am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
Shelley, If you want to post photos of how you've set things up for us to double check anything or even pm me, please feel free to. I remember how scared I was when I first did the same thing. I waited a few days until I had enough courage to try it all.

Devardi and other glass combinations? I just use it as needed. I love the medium brown for my branches that I make and I use other brand's greens for leaves, I did have a problem with cracking with my Christmas fish, where I used that light green, but it was probably my fault for not keeping the head warm enough. Although I have noticed that sometimes I need to keep some of that glass warmer than my Moretti. (anyone else see that at times?)

I will pay more attention and take a photo next time I use it, so I remember what I combine it with. I guess it's just so natural to combine all my glasses that I don't really think as I use them. it's just what color do I want to use for whatever reason.

Looking forward to seeing more photos....
Marcy

Marcy, your work is SO darling I wish you would post pics for all to see here sometimes. You sure have a gift!
Closed Thread

Tags
devardi