Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2009-08-17, 10:11am

Default studio on a house boat?

chances are I am getting a 40' boat. it is classified as a house boat, not sure why . any how, i jokingly told my wife that the upper birth off of the helm would make a sweet floating studio. she thought that would be a great idea. I seriously have no intent of doing so, but just wondering has anyone set up a studio on a boat?

the add for the sale of the boat states"This houseboat is full of character. It is unique and funky design, and provides plenty of living space." Funky really does sum it up, but it is truly beautiful , a diamond in the ruff for sure.

when i say chances are we are getting it, i really mean I hope they except my offer,. I have already set aside two times the asking price for needed repairs . so the boat will me ours. just like to keep the expense of the purchase price down. if i have to pay the full asking price then so be it. this funky type of boat has been my wife dream boat for over 30 years and there is no way in hell that we are skipping on this one. wish us luck.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

------------------------
Kobuki*Delta Elite*Mirage*Blast Shields*two DeVilbiss 5 LPM* tanks* foot pedal.

Last edited by murf; 2009-08-17 at 10:22am.
Old 2009-08-17, 10:40am
I fart diamonds

Good luck!! Looks really cool.

Old 2009-08-17, 10:43am
N2Beadz

That would be an excellent studio!!!

Old 2009-08-17, 11:23am
Fancy Mammal

I never finished setting up the studio on a boat, but I planned one. Sold the boat before I needed to have the studio there. There's already propane on most boats, so all you need is an oxycon and ventilation. I'm thinking it would make a lovely studio!
Old 2009-08-17, 12:39pm
Hello?

I love the boat!

Old 2009-08-17, 12:41pm
MacGalver

Wow! That would be a dream come true for me too!
Old 2009-08-17, 12:42pm

HOW totally awesome that would be and I can only imagine that it would make an awesome studio up there though. WOW where is she currently berthed??

Facebook

Blogger
Old 2009-08-17, 1:10pm
honorary bead lady

SWEET! I knew someone that had an 86' tug years ago, and that had character too.

See ya coul fix it up and motor down the river around and thru the strait down the sound thru hammersly inlet to next years bash at Frantz Ok OK so it would be quicker to drive.
Old 2009-08-17, 1:14pm
balanced but asymmetrical

Oooh neat boat; more pics please.

Old 2009-08-17, 1:36pm

Smile Awesome boat

Love the boat pictures. would love to see pics of the inside.
Thanks for sharing.
Janet
Old 2009-08-17, 1:42pm
In search of her path....

That is so cool! I believe there is a member here who lives full time on a house boat and has their studio in there i believe they live on a channel in england. Its pretty cool but I cant remember the user name

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2009-08-17, 2:24pm

Very cool boat! Look forward to hearing more, and hope you get her.
Old 2009-08-17, 2:45pm
BeadsonCypress

talk about character!! Wow, so very neat!

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2009-08-17, 3:04pm

I love it! And, I love the idea..... sorta a home away from home! Good luck! Dawn

Old 2009-08-17, 3:12pm
Flaming Redhead!

Mike and Su Poole of Tillerman Beads live on a narrowboat in one of the canals in the UK. I think for awhile he had the studio onboard...but then I think they got a little shed on the bank for a studio. It's been awhile and I don't quite remember...but, you might want to contact them...here's their site... http://www.tillermanbeads.co.uk/

A thing of beauty is a joy forever: its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness.
- John Keats
Old 2009-08-17, 10:37pm

That is soooo cool, yes more pictures please

R-118
Old 2009-08-18, 11:59am

our offer was excepted, whoooo hoooooo!
Ill post more pictures as i can.
as soon as the survey is done we will have any needed repairs done to the hull and hopefully get it in the water by our 29th anniversary.
I'm to excited to even considering torching today.

------------------------
Old 2009-08-18, 12:14pm

Smile

Yeah !!!!!Good for Both of You!!!!!!
Very Proud for you.
Hope you have many yrs. of enjoyment with your new 40' boat.
Janet
Old 2009-08-18, 1:54pm

Congratulations!! That will be some very wonderful torching. Torching at sea. Go 'head.

Minor
Old 2009-08-18, 2:27pm
Lavender Dawn

That is SOOOOooo cool! Best of luck.
Old 2009-08-18, 3:01pm

some pictures
I couldnt take a picture of the upper berth, it was being used for storage

my wife is a sucker for wainscoting and hard wood floors.
Attached Images

------------------------
Old 2009-08-18, 3:35pm
Ambivitreous

Pretty boat! Definitely lots of character too. Do you know when she was built?

Glad to hear you're having a survey done; it's money very well spent. If you haven't done so, it's good to have the engine checked out thoroughly too. (Personal experience...my folks had a disaster with a 35' sloop that had a very sick engine. We replaced it with a brand new Volvo diesel, a lemon that quit on us about 30 miles offshore in a flat calm. Fortunately we were traveling with friends who towed us back to civilization.)

Rockin' 2 Nortel Red Maxes with Mega Minor topfires on natural gas & 6 EX-15s with my glass accomplice Lisa F-R
Old 2009-08-18, 4:34pm

the boat sits presently in Olympia WA but I'll take it to Westport. the boat will sit just a few hundred yards from one of my surfing spots and the other is less than a 1/8 of a mile. easy bike ride.
not much happens out there, my son loves the fishing and crabbing, my daughter the surfing and sunbathing when available and my wife just loves the laid back environment. the yearly cost to keep it there is surprisingly low.

so tomorrow i head back out to the boat with a wooden boat builder. just a prior look before the survey and he will be present for that as well.
the survey does cover checking into the 135 hp Perkins diesel. there is no way, i'd chance or have any one else chance taking it out with total assurance that its going to run top notch. have money aside for the rebuild if need be.

the boat was built in 93. wooden boats new or not if not taken care of can go down hill in a hurry. seems my wife and I are huge suckers for saving thing. had a night mare of a november last year. the contractor that was lifting of my home went bankrupt, leaving me with a life time of work. had to be done though and worth the grief. my children where raised here and they remain very close so the family vote was to save the home rather than move to Florianópolis Brazil like I voted to. in any case, time to lets some pros save this boat(the hull/engine) and I'll be responsible for what ever else needs doing.the exterior will keep me busy, the interior will be cake work, right down my alley.

------------------------
Old 2009-08-18, 4:44pm

Florianópolis Brazil you ask??????
been staring at my booked marked dream home for some time and its not going to happen so please please buy it so i can move on. the house isnt very nice but damn a surfers wet dream. i could make the home nice and like that no motor vecihcles are permitted. ho hmmm

its listed for $118,000 about mid way down the page.
look at the pictures from the deck.
http://www.boisc.com/propertysales.htm

------------------------
Old 2009-08-18, 6:48pm
Ex-lurker

Stick with the boat - it looks like it is in a lot better shape and it is near "home". The interior of your boat (from the pictures) looks pretty good.

Good luck and have lots of fun!!!

"Life is a journey - travel it well"
Old 2009-08-18, 7:10pm
And silence is golden

What an awesome find! One of my newly acquired skills is reupolstering boats and making canvas covers. Looks like you won't have any need to do any of that to this one! She's a beauty!
Old 2009-08-18, 7:44pm

ALeta
I have a Oday 22 sail boat needing some canvas work. do you have a web site?

------------------------
Old 2009-08-18, 8:02pm
In search of her path....

What a beautiful boat inside and out! and man it was only built in 93? Then it shouldnt be in too bad of shape as long as it was maintained regularly! Oh and the place in brazil i could totally be happy there TOTALLY lol.

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2009-08-18, 10:42pm

wow that's yummy in there

Facebook

Blogger
Old 2009-08-19, 1:17pm

Simply beautiful. Wow.