LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-04-18, 1:35pm

Default The Short Guy kiln users request

I just placed an order today for a Glass Hive 'Short Guy'. I was wondering if any Short Guy users would be willing to post a picture of what the kiln looks like when it's got beads in it, both with the door open and closed?

I'm a visual person and have never used a kiln for anything, am so new to lampworking and was just wondering what the process of using it looks like.
Old 2012-05-31, 10:12pm

Bummer. No one? What about any of the other sizes of Glass Hive kilns (I don't imagine there is much difference)? My new baby will be here shortly and I still have no idea how to put the mandrels with the beads in a kiln. LOL Do I need to buy a rack to rest the mandrels on? How does the door close with a mandrel sticking out?

Mini CC & M15
Old 2012-05-31, 11:01pm
Unmedicated since '62

as with most kilns the ends of the mandrels just sort of poke out of the door

i dont have a short guy but they have a really good reputation

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-06-01, 9:16am

So the door just kind of rests in a slightly open position on top of the mandrels that are sticking out? What if you are stacking on a rack? Doesn't that make the mandrels be higher and then the door be more open? Is there ever a 'too open' position for the door?

Mini CC & M15
Old 2012-06-01, 9:33am
Tweedle Dumb

I have a short guy. I have a long ceramic kiln post inside that I rest my mandrels on. I make mostly BHB's and the door has a 1/2 inch gap/opening once the mandrels are in.

There is already a small opening along the bottom of the door to allow for the mandrels to poke out. If I use regular 3/32 mandrels the door does not get that 1/2 inch gap. I'm not a stacker, so I really don't know how that would look, but I imagine it would be close to what it looks like with BHB mandrels poking out. That small gap has not had any noticeable effect on the efficiency of the kiln. It has not effected the annealing process. After I'm done, I stuff a bit of fiber blanket in the gap to help insulate a bit.

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2012-06-01, 9:43am

I have a regular guy and plan on torching this evening. I will try to take some pics of my kiln tonight.

Duane

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2012-06-01, 9:54am

Thanks Jamie Lynne.
Thanks Duane.
Thank you too, Deb.
Sorry my 'newbie' is showing.

Mini CC & M15
Old 2012-06-01, 9:55am
~ a.k.a. Sharlee22 ~

Oh good Duane, I am planning on buying a regular guy and I wanted to see! Thanks!!

Old 2012-06-01, 11:36am

I have a regular guy and put two of those $6 rod rests inside to rest my mandrels on, near the back wall. I don't stack beads - there's only once I've run out of room in a session/day. The mandrel ends poke out the gap on the bottom without having the doors be open at all. Note - it's not very tall, so unless you like kneeling on the floor and putting our head close to the ground to see where you're putting the beads, you might want to put the kiln on something. Mine's still on the floor.

Facebook:

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials: