No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2020-12-31, 9:41am

Default Setting up a studio in the UK

Hi guys,

I could do with your help. I'm currently studying an MA in glass (90% in flameworking) and due to the current restrictions we all find ourselves in, I don't have access to the university's facilities. I doubt the course will be extended to compensate for time loss so I find myself looking at having a home/studio setup to put in the hours I need.

I have little to no experience of buying equipment so was hoping to get some support in what setup would allow me to work on small to medium pieces. Also if you guys can suggest any UK or Europe sellers of equipment that would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Old 2020-12-31, 10:08am

Contact Tuffnell's Glass. They may be able to point you to resources and information, and they sell equipment and glass.
Old 2020-12-31, 10:36am

I've tried contacting Tuffnell's a few times now and heard nothing back. Hopefully they get back soon. Thanks
Old 2020-12-31, 2:05pm
Phill

Have you looked in the Safety and Studio threads here?

There are tons of examples of how others set up their torch benches as well as long discussions on ventilation, flooring and temporary and permanent work arounds to all kinds of problems you might encounter.

Their are a few "Wendy House" setups in the back garden as well as some temp setups for flats and garages.

Can not offer anything on sourcing equipment over there but I am pretty sure there is an online forum in the UK but I can't remember the name right now.

Good luck and feel free to ask specific questions here if you like.
Old 2020-12-31, 2:25pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMDCraftworks View Post
I've tried contacting Tuffnell's a few times now and heard nothing back. Hopefully they get back soon. Thanks
Must be off for the holidays! There are a few UK centric groups on Facebook. Lampwork Tips Techniques and Questions is adminned by some people in UK, and there is a Lampwork Destash UK group where people list their stuff that they want to unload.
Old 2021-01-01, 8:49am

Thank you everyone, I'll check out the safety and studio thread for more information on setting up. I've joined the facebook destash group too
Old 2021-01-03, 4:07am

Setting up a glass studio from scratch in no time flat to finish a course is a tall order!

If you have the skills and just need the facilities, I would look at finding a maker near you who can rent you studio time.

If you want to set up a studio anyway because that's what you plan to do after your MA, you can get a complete starter set from Tuffnell's including torch, oxycon, and safety specs; also a ventilation system; and a Paragon SC2 kiln with bead door. This will cost you around £1500. You'll have to source propane locally.

Then you need a suitable space to work in. A garage is fine, with ventilation fitted and provision made for air coming in. Or a garden shed. Renting a studio space is possible, though many frown on artists using propane. The gas should always go outdoors at ground level and be piped through the wall into your working space. You had better read all available threads on setting up and safety on the old UK forum Frit Happens - it's a bit moribund now but there's good info on it, all appropriate to UK glasssmiths.

I am in the UK and am happy to advise. Good luck!
Old 2021-01-04, 10:53am
dances with ideas...

I believe I've seen some recent posts about setting up in the UK in the FB tips, techniques, and questions group. You could join, then use the search bar. Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2021-01-04, 3:12pm

Martin at Tuffnell has had his holiday.. he answered me this morning. Great service.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BLOG
Nope, not updated...