Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2009-12-04, 8:50am
Lampworkaholic!

Default Cricket or Bobcat

All things being equal, which would you choose? I'm on propane and an M15 oxycon and currently have a Mega Minor that I like a lot. But like all good lampworkaholics, I have an itch to get a second torch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-12-04, 9:07am
The Battle of Boro Boro

Go with the bobcat...I loved mine and it had more than enough juice to do boro jewerly and small sculpture.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-12-04, 10:52am
one day at a time

I've tried both on an M15, so go with the Bobcat, absolutely!
Old 2009-12-04, 11:02am
da General

Bobcat definitely on a M15. . . it's hotter than a Cricket on a 8 lpm oxycon.

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-12-04, 11:15am

If you have enough oxygen, the Bobcat is hotter. If your are limited on your oxygen, the Cricket will allow you to use what oxygen you have to the fullest advantage.

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2009-12-05, 5:21pm
I practice alchemy!

So you can use a Bobcat on an oxycon? My husband looked at the price difference between the Cricket and the Bobcat and thinks I should go with the Bobcat. Not knowing anything about the torches; he's just seeing the Bobcat as an upgrade over the Cricket and thinking to forestall another torch purchase if I get a Cricket and want to upgrade.

Me, I want to make sure that I can use whatever torch I upgrade to with a minimum of frustration and not get a torch that is too much for me at this time.

Celeste
Old 2009-12-05, 6:21pm
PyronamixK

The Bobcat can be used on a single 5 LPM oxygen concentrator. The thing is, the Cricket will be able to give you a more oxidized flame using that same 5 LPM than the Bobcat can. The Bobcat can still get an oxidized flame on 5 LPM, but the Cricket just drags more out of it. The Bobcat is hotter than the Cricket, though, even on 5 LPM.

So, decide what it is you want to do. If you work dichro or reactive glass that needs an oxidized flame a lot, then you might prefer the Cricket (you can still work those glasses on a Bobcat, it's just easier on a Cricket when you only have 5 LPM). If having more heat available is more important to you than having a super-oxidized flame, the you will probably prefer the Bobcat.

Also, think about the future. The Bobcat has a bigger top end flame. So, if you ever increase your oxygen supply, you can get more out of a Bobcat than you could out of a Cricket.
Old 2009-12-05, 9:17pm
Lampworkaholic!

I have a Respironics Millenium M15, but I'm on a Mega Minor now and never feel like I have as much heat as I'd like. I'm thinking the Bobcat is the way to go. I do work a lot of dichro and silver glass. Thanks again for the advice.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-12-05, 9:34pm
Macaw Mamma

I LOVE my Bobcat... it runs great on 2 5 lpm concentrators

Torchin' with a Cheetah and a Bobcat on tanked O2
Fusin' in a Jen-Ken
Old 2009-12-05, 10:01pm

I have a Bobcat and one 5 lpm concentrator. I have no problems getting the silver colors to do their thing. I've never tried a Cricket so I don't know how to compare them.

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2009-12-06, 5:53am
Christine

Will the Bobcat work using natural gas and a concentrator?

Old 2009-12-07, 8:50am
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by cswilson53 View Post
Will the Bobcat work using natural gas and a concentrator?
Yes.