Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-01-30, 1:15pm

Default Ekho without a kiln?

I do not have a kiln. I do not sell my beads either.

I just got some Ekho and am finding that I have nice colors BEFORE I put the beads to rest in the fiber blanket, but am somewhat disappointed when I lift the cover to see pale beads.

I've been studying the "more te-265 please" thread, and I feel I am getting the results, BEFORE cooling all the way. Does this make sense to anyone?

Do I need a kiln to finish the process and have the vibrant colors?

I have tested beads on bases of clear, white, black.

I am looking for the vibrant pinks, but will settle for vibrant anything at this point.

I did however manage to get some nice bright blue colors on the black base, but it just looks like regular silver glass. Thanks for your help!
Old 2010-01-30, 7:47pm

Okay u guys, I c u looking, but nobody knows anything?
Old 2010-01-30, 7:55pm
And silence is golden

Patience my dear. We just have to wait for someone to come along that is familiar with what you are exeriencing. In the meantime, I'll sit back with a warm cup of tea and wait with you. I am interested in seeing what someone else has to say. Good question Ann.

BTW......welcome to L.E.
Old 2010-01-30, 7:57pm
Tweedle Dumb

You don't need a kiln for ekho. But I have had it change a bit in the kiln. I typically get purples blues and rubys every once in a while.

I would try making a simple spacer
get it nice and hot, I go to clear, others go for white hot, what ever floats your boat
wait for it to go brown (I don't wait till the glow goes away on this color)
then 8-9 quick flashes through the same flame you used to form it (neutral + a little more oxy)
Keep it out of the flame and encase.

The big ones are reduced and encased with the instructions above. The little ones are just reduced.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<Click For My Latest Murrini!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2010-01-30, 8:17pm

Thanks guys! I didn't meam to be so impatient. My daughter and I have been waiting all day to see if anyone replied, then when we got home and checked, we saw the views but no posts! Sorry sorry sorry....

I am trying to figure out how to get my pictures on the uploader- keeps saying the file is too big, but on my computer, it looks like it's 1 inch by 1 inch. so have to figure that out.

Anyway, Here's what I did- made it white hot- then let it cool under the table so I knew it was cool, then by then it was brown, did it 3 more times, and instead of being brown, there were colors, sorta so I very very lightly reduced, it was a sorta purple/blue reduction, then encased. then while melting in clear, it struck again? and maybe that's where I went wrong? but the colors were there! I was sooooo stoked and wanted to post my first really cool pics here, and the air came out of my sails this morning when I looked under the blanket. I can get the blues tho. I just see everyone getting lovely vibrant colors and I want them too! This glass is the easiest to strike and reduce tho- I love it and I am not gonna give up!

Meanwhile I will try to get the picture thing worked out and show the pictures.
Old 2010-01-30, 8:20pm
Tweedle Dumb

You can send them to me Dabaum68@hotmail.com I'll load them here for you if you want.

Old 2010-01-30, 8:36pm
Tweedle Dumb

Here is her picture:

Old 2010-01-30, 8:38pm
Tweedle Dumb

I would try with out a base. I don't use a base for Ekho. But you are looking for a different effect than what I can produce. Hayley, or Judith will help if they happen upon this thread. They do wonderful things with this glass

Old 2010-01-30, 8:42pm
da General

Ann - looks like you struck it again when melting down the encasement and also lost the reducing effects in the process. I don't believe the fiber blanket was the culprit - tho I haven't used a fiber blanket to cool encased Ekho beads, I have with other reducing silver glass and it retained the colors and the iridescence.

Try reducing it a bit more and melt down the encasement very slowly - put the bead high up in the flame and marver often to help the clear melt. Melt only the clear and not the base bead and don't let the orange glow go too red.

Sweet of you to post the pic for Ann, Jamie Lynne! That really helped.

|
|
|
|
Old 2010-01-30, 8:44pm
da General

Jamie Lynne has a good point - try it without a base bead. Use just Ekho and encase it in clear.

|
|
|
|
Old 2010-01-30, 8:48pm

I really appreciate you posting my pic and helping me out! You too, Aleta!

Have you made any Ekho beads without the use of a kiln?

I batch anneal any beads I give away, but for me, they're just for me so until I get a kiln, I don't worry about it. I know there is a thread about annealing.

I just wonder if this has anything to do with it?
Old 2010-01-30, 8:56pm

Thank you, Haley!

I am gonna go try it, a plain ekho bead, no base, and no heat to the ekho while doing the encasement.

Does it sound right, about the blue/purple sheen upon reduction? Should it be any other color? I've done some with the brown and no reduction, but they all came out the same.
Old 2010-01-30, 9:55pm
Megan's personal Sherpa

This pic shows round beads made with Ekho for the base, textured, reduced and encased with Moretti clear stringers and annealed in a crock pot with vermiculite. I have a kiln and will be batching beads once I learn how to program it but these were made pre-kiln. Ditto Haley, I don't use a base for Ekho rounds. I wind it on the mandrel, get it white hot in an oxy flame, then texture it by rolling it on a ridged marver. That is about as much cooling as it gets, then I strike it in a light reducing flame, a few flashes through to bloom out the color and apply a little MOP sheen. I have found that using Moretti clear stringers (2-3mm) is the ideal way to encase it and get the encasement melted in quickly without having to heat the base back up too much. One note on the texturing, I have found that it enables me to retain much more of the MOP and get nice colors in it whereas when I simply reduce a smooth round, my MOP goes all poopy brown. Also, when encasing, if I use the slightly reduction flame while I'm winding on the clear, I get some amazing electric green MOP sheen!

Hope this helps, I'm still pretty new at this but these are the tricks I have found to work!

Flinging flaming frit at friends for fun!

Deb
Old 2010-02-01, 3:02pm

Don't look too closely at my bead making skills, or lack there of... I was trying for color... Anyway, IT WORKED!! I honestly don't know why or how...BUT thank you to everyone who has posted and shared their knowledge!

The 1 thing I know for sure, I reduced the crap out of it till it was as silver as I could get, then it worked! So, confirmed, you don't need a kiln to get bright colors.