No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2012-09-21, 8:50pm
Bead semi-newbie

Default Two torch stations in studio

i want to separate my boro and "other glass" work stations. i have 2 torches, 1 oxycon and can have two tanks of propane if i have to. The regulators/gauges/hoses for the propane tanks are costly so am wondering if there is a way to have one tank, one set of gauges and maybe 2 runs of hoses???? what about quick release couplings? i am feeling overwhelmed. anyone got any suggestions? thank you in advance.
LOVE silver glass
Old 2012-09-22, 12:18am
Dynamic Duo

Yes you can - we run two torches off 1 propane tank with a Y-splitter purchased at local welding supply shop. Will try to take photo for you tomorrow. The splitter connects after the guages.

But we do use 2 oxycons, one for each torch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-09-22, 1:45am
Alaska Boro

It is worth a try to see if the torch performance is within you needs. The thing to check is to see if there is any interaction between torches when torch fuel adjustment are made. One could set the PSI a little higher say 7 to 8 PSI if interaction is present to see if a higher pressure will provide more fuel and lessen are issues.

Generally for welding, each torch has their own fuel and oxygen regulators that are connected to a high pressure manifold.
Old 2012-09-22, 8:45am
Bead semi-newbie

Michael and Brad : thanks, do you both torch at the same time? i will probably be alone so 1 oxycon should do it. Oakland huh? i escape the sierras in the winter and will be living in the santa cruz mountains (with studio in tow) and would love to come for a visit in feb or march. i am 1 day older than whoever was born may 13th! you baby.
Alaska, we should meet in Oakland.............talk about snow.................
LOVE silver glass
Old 2012-09-23, 1:48pm
Dynamic Duo

Sarah - here is an image of the line splitter. Now I cannot remember if the Y piece and the two on/off valves came together, or were separate.

I did use a single wrap of the white teflon plumbers tape where the hoses attach.

Yes, this works if just one of us is working, or both of us at the same time. Since we use a minor torch and a mega-minor, both are low pressure torches, and there has never been a problem with gas levels. We barely notice any change if we are both at work, and one or the other of us shuts down their line.

Michael (me) was born on the 13th! Many decades ago!

Would love to have you stop in. We are almost always here, just never really conscious before 11 AM! Usually by then either coffee has kicked in!

Old 2012-09-23, 2:09pm
Bead semi-newbie

Michael: thanks for the response. very nice i will have an image to show my DH and to send to the welding supply store. we are in the middle of middle of nowhere, very pretty but closest town for a welding store is Reno, 1.25 hrs one way. Road Trip! thanks again for the going to the trouble of the photo.

I start my heart with Peets coffee but more like 9am. really looking forward to a visit in the spring. i'd like to "off LE" contact you, do you have a regular email you'd share? or contact me at mountainbead@gotsky.com. cloudy today, come on rain.
LOVE silver glass
Old 2012-09-23, 4:42pm
Alaska Boro

IMO a "Y" with valves is a bit over kill. Use one fuel line for the Scorpion with a brass "T" to feed the inner and outer rings. Have not notice any interaction between the two flames on the gas side. However, there is interaction on the oxygen side due limitations imposed by the use of concentrators.

Also tape should NOT be used on B or acetylene fuel welding fittings.
Old 2012-09-23, 4:53pm
Dynamic Duo

I think we like the valves for the separate lines in order to bleed all the gas out of the line if just one of us shuts down. Shut the valve, crank open the gas at the torch and let the flame burn itself out. Then we shut the torch gas valve, and then turn off the concentrator for that torch. (I know, not POOP, but I like the oxygen to assist in blowing out any gas remaining in the torch.)

And I found out later NOT to use the tape. (Though I'm not real sure why?) It is just one wrap, being very careful to not have any 'overlap' into the line. Next time we disassemble, will try taking it off.

Old 2012-09-23, 5:58pm
Bead semi-newbie

i am working with a Lynx and a Carlisle Minor. wish i had a more powerful boro torch.
LOVE silver glass
Old 2012-09-23, 8:20pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaming_fools View Post
And I found out later NOT to use the tape. (Though I'm not real sure why?) It is just one wrap, being very careful to not have any 'overlap' into the line. Next time we disassemble, will try taking it off.
Because welding hose connections are metal to metal (machined mating surfaces - the ball end into female socket) and by adding Teflon tape you many actually "contaminate" the machined connection and may actually cause it to leak.... Besides they are designed to seal without any sealing compounds or tape.... The design has been in welding industry for maybe 75 to 100 years before Teflon tape was even developed...

The only real application for Teflon tape is for "tapered" fittings that depend on thread mating for seal such as used in water or natural gas or propane metallic plumbing (yes "plumbing" is different than from welding hose connections)

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2012-09-23 at 8:27pm.
Old 2012-09-23, 10:27pm
Dynamic Duo

Dale - Thanks for the explanation! - much appreciated! - M