Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Old 2013-05-31, 3:24pm
love me love my llamas

Default Bethlehem alpha and bottle oxygen

Hi,
I am interested in getting the Alpha torch, but not sure how it does on bottled oxygen? Is anyone using the Alpha with bottled oxygen?
Old 2013-05-31, 3:38pm
I fart diamonds

It's a great torch on bottled & oxy cons.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-06-01, 11:24am

I've been using one on tanked - pretty efficient. Might use a bit more than a minor or mega minor.
Old 2013-06-01, 3:38pm
love me love my llamas

Thanks Shawnette and Talonst for the information. I really like the torch.
Old 2013-06-04, 1:55pm

Just be sure you get a regulator that can handle low pressure settings. I had to get a new gauge for mine (but not a new regulator). The alpha uses low pressure but lots of flow so a tank would be ideal. I usually set mine for 8-12psi depending on my propane setting (3-5psi)

LE members enjoy a 10% discount with coupon code "LEmember"
Old 2013-06-15, 9:36pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by smpalmer85 View Post
Just be sure you get a regulator that can handle low pressure settings. I had to get a new gauge for mine (but not a new regulator). The alpha uses low pressure but lots of flow so a tank would be ideal. I usually set mine for 8-12psi depending on my propane setting (3-5psi)
So I'm thinking about getting the Apha. The only thing I'm wondering is will a concentrator with 5 LPM work with it or do I need a concentrator that gives me 10 LPM
Old 2013-06-15, 9:49pm

I run the center fire of my bravo on two 5lpms and it seems to do the trick its the same as a alpha.

Old 2013-06-16, 9:18am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Smeeth View Post
I run the center fire of my bravo on two 5lpms and it seems to do the trick its the same as a alpha.
So what do you mean by two 5 LPMs, you have 2 oxygen tanks? Or do you use a concentrator? I'm very new & don't really understand what you mean.
Old 2013-06-16, 8:32pm
GLASS ADDICT

I'm running an m-15 concentrator on my alpha and it works great,and I mainly work with boro glass making figurines and small marbles.
Old 2013-06-16, 8:57pm

I have two cheap medical oxycons running at 5 liters per minute. More than enough for alpha. Look up the holding tank tutorial on how to link oxygen concentrators together.

Old 2013-06-16, 11:05pm
Artistically Absorbed

I was told by the manufacturers, that it can run up to 20lpm tops, but would be best run at 15 lpm. I am going to get one this month, and have two M-15s...I was told that would be enough to run it at top efficiency on the torch. I LOVE Bethlehem torches...I have had my bead burner for 10 years almost, and it never lets me down!!

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2013-06-22, 4:41pm
I'm meeeeelting

I'd go with the larger concentrator. I don't think there's a torch out there that'll run full out on 5 LPM, although several will do somewhat okay on that. You can get an M-15 or Ex-15 for not that much more than a 5 LPM oxycon and it'll run your torch better plus give you more flexibility down the road if you want to add a second concentrator and maybe even a bigger torch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calikim View Post
So I'm thinking about getting the Apha. The only thing I'm wondering is will a concentrator with 5 LPM work with it or do I need a concentrator that gives me 10 LPM

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:

Last edited by artsyuno; 2013-06-22 at 4:56pm.
Old 2013-06-22, 6:15pm
GLASS ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoTantuli View Post
I was told by the manufacturers, that it can run up to 20lpm tops, but would be best run at 15 lpm. I am going to get one this month, and have two M-15s...I was told that would be enough to run it at top efficiency on the torch. I LOVE Bethlehem torches...I have had my bead burner for 10 years almost, and it never lets me down!!
I just started running a second m-15 on my alpha last week and it is awesome, you will love it!!!
Old 2013-06-22, 7:08pm
Slogan Challenged...

I'm running mine on one M-15 and I have been very pleased. Two, as Luis said, would be awesome. But, you don't need two to start. I wouldn't go with a 5 lpm either, as the prices are so similar to the higher machines. With the price of shipping, I would do at least a M10 or M15 and make it worth your while.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2013-06-22, 9:34pm
GLASS ADDICT

I also think you should try it on one m-15, you will be surprised at how good it runs.Unless you work boro bigger than 14 or 15mm you really only need one.
Old 2013-06-28, 6:09am
Artistically Absorbed

Thanks Louie! I will just lower the PSI vs unhooking an m-15 unit, it will give higher oxy purity that way too!

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2013-06-29, 5:23am

no, you'd be lowering the lpm (liters per minute, the amount of oxy being put out, not the pressure) not the psi.
most machines can't be changed (psi wise) w/o taking the back off of the machine. the knob in the front? that lpm
Old 2013-08-20, 9:45am
Beadmaking.nl

I have used the alpha with a oxygen tank, but I find that very expensive because the tank was so soon empty.

Now I have a 5lpm concentrator and it worked great.

Great torch!

Old 2013-08-27, 12:46pm

I have an alpha and started with an oxygen tank, but would go through it pretty fast. Got a 5lpm concentrator and love it! I work soft glass and I can't tell a difference from using the tanked. I can't see a need for more, unless I was to ever try boro.

follow me on Instagram @tinkercreekcreations