Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-07-26, 9:26am
Mr Brutus RIP

Default question about clear glass

Hi all
I remember reading somewhere on here about a new clear that doesnt' get sooty or scummy....... and I believe it was compatible with moretti
am I remembering correctly? anyone else read this? I have clear and it gets terrible with black streaks and scummy looking and its horrible.......can anyone direct me to whre to get this??
Thanks SO much!!!
sue
Old 2006-07-26, 9:29am
CA Queen Bitch

Are you talking about the Kugler clear from Arrow Springs? I went through my first 5 pounds and loved it! Then the next batch I bought, not the improved batch, has done nothing but give me grief! 8 out 10 large focals I made with it cracked, like an incapatabilty crack. I am going to try something different. Is the new Moretti clear out yet?

Being unstable and bitchy is all part of my mystique.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Peek A Boo!
Old 2006-07-26, 9:31am
ManBearPig

I use Lauscha. No complaints in the past two years...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-07-26, 9:45am
<--- Time traveler

The Moretti Super Clear is out. I picked up some at the Gathering, but I haven't tried it yet. It does LOOK very clear.

Courtney
Old 2006-07-26, 8:05pm
yukue fumei

hi Sue~
maybe try the Vetro Crystal clear if you have a chance--it is very nice.
I have had good luck with it , Lauscha and Czech clear.
Old 2006-07-26, 9:41pm
Mr Brutus RIP

thanks everyone!!
sue
Old 2006-07-27, 5:39am
Pyromaniac

I keep reading about the Lauscha, I plan to order a pound of it and see how it works out....now that I am running low, I have finally begun to conquer my problems with moretti clear. Damn it!
Old 2007-06-09, 9:46am
Hot Glass is Cool Stuff!

I ordered a bunch of Vetro crystal awhile back. Tagged every rod as it came in, so I am sure I have not confused the rods. I have just started using it and am getting smoked and burned effect on every bead - three separate Vetro rods now. Anyone ever get regular clear when they were expecting Vetro? I'm wondering... Bummer! I did not have this problem with old Vetro batch.

Old 2007-06-10, 12:26am
Hopeless glass addict!

I quit having trouble with even the Moretti regular clear when I started washing it well before each torch session with alcohol on a paper towel and pulling the end off the rod or stringer. If I'm heating my clear and see a hazy spot on the end, I pull it off. I also don't heat it any closer than 3½ inches from the head of the torch. Any closer and I start getting that sooty stuff forming on the glass. I had a tendency to forget and bring the bead in closer to me when I encased. I was concentrating too much on what I was putting on the bead instead of where I was in the flame.

This may not be your problem at all. It actually could be a bad batch of glass. Some people have had issues with their torch or hoses being dirty. Some people have had problems with their propane pressure being too high. So, if you've tried the things I've mentioned and are still getting sooty stuff on your clear, maybe that's what's wrong.

Here are some threads that may help:
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ighlight=hoses

Good luck! I hope you find the problem. I know how frustrating it can be!

~Mendy

Happiness is roasting glass with your best friend!

Old 2007-06-10, 7:43am
Hot Glass is Cool Stuff!

Thanks! I will check all those things. I appreciate the help. I do pull off the end, I use a microfiber towel on my rods, but it is possible I am not getting the glass clean enough. What is bothering me is that I am doing what I "always" do with clear - and getting different results. That's what makes me think the glass is not the same as what I normally use... I need to figure it out to use it up though, so your tips and links are very helpful!

Old 2007-06-10, 7:49am
Life is change. Love it

R4 diamond clear is awesome. Second choice is Vetro crystal clear.

Old 2007-06-10, 10:18am

I just got some vetro and moretti clear stringers. Oddly enough, both of them are just amazingly full of bubbles. I've got one stringer here that I haven't even heated up that has a line of popped bubbles down the outside of it.

The vendor is sending me equal value of lauscha. So much for trying the cheaper clears....sigh.

I've got way cool handmade bags for sale in the Garage Sale area for a buck each!
Old 2007-06-11, 5:41am

R4 Diamond Clear gets my vote for the best clear. It plays well with all the silver glasses, and it is the only clear I've found that works to encase the ASK glasses - even Violet Nights that says do not encase. Lauscha DOES NOT play well with any of the silver glasses that I know of. The R4 is the most expensive of the clears that I know of, but it's well worth it IMHO.
Carol