Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2007-12-01, 9:42am

Question HH and Bulk Gas Question

I've had my HH set up for 7 days and have gone through 8 cans of MAPP gas already! I do believe it's time to investigate my options of bulk gas and I have questions...
Do I need a regulator? I will be using a BBQ sized tank.
Also I'm not sure which gas to get Propane or MAPP? Besides price what is the difference between the two?
Thanks for the help!
Old 2007-12-01, 9:57am
Gentleman of Leisure

A regulator is NOT required. However some have used regulator and have had good success, but regulator has to operate in the 50-70 psi range....

Propane burns a but cooler (about 300°) and combustion process is a little slower than MAPP. So work out a few inches further out in flame where combustion is more complete. Propane is about 1/4 the cost of MAPP.

When getting bulk hose, get one long enough that tank is OUTSIDE and torch can remain inside.... Hoses up to 20 ft long are available from sources like camping and industrial suppliers...

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2007-12-01, 10:10am

Thanks Dale!
I didn’t think I needed a regulator with a HH, but my DH (mister safety) thinks I do, but admits to not really knowing when it comes to this kind of application. We are going to Airgas today and see what they can set me up with. With cost being a consideration I will start out with propane and see how it goes. The propane will definitely be outside!
Old 2007-12-01, 10:18am

I've gone 4 years without a regulator, no problems.

Thanks for the technical facts, Dale!

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2007-12-01, 11:17am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elleth View Post
Thanks Dale!
I didn’t think I needed a regulator with a HH, but my DH (mister safety) thinks I do, but admits to not really knowing when it comes to this kind of application. We are going to Airgas today and see what they can set me up with. With cost being a consideration I will start out with propane and see how it goes. The propane will definitely be outside!
Good luck...... Hope AIRGAS guys understand that HH torch has to operate at "tank pressures" as it is a internal regulated appliance that uses a orifice to integrate gas with air and control fuel flow....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2007-12-01, 11:21am

Thanks Dale, I hope they do too!

When I told the last welding place I talked to that I was doing lampwork they thought I was making lamps!

I am going to write down you comments and bring them with me.
You have been a great help!