Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-05-09, 9:58am
Feuer,Flamme and Tattoo's

Default What's the fascination with Aurae??

So what does it do,
I see it blue and goldish is that all the same glass from DH. Who can show some beads and some tips
Katja
Old 2009-05-09, 10:20am
I speak Murrini!

Katja~

Check out this thread, where it was named "Aura" before they changed it's name to "Aurae". Everything is just gorgeous!!!

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...+purple+luster

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2009-05-09, 12:56pm
Life is change. Love it

Because as well as this

it can do this

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-05-09, 1:29pm

Carolyn, I love what you can do with Aurae. For whatever reason, that bottom set reminds me of Christmas! I've tried to get that particular result, but so far nada. They're all lovely, though.

Renee
Blue Moon Glass Studio
GTT Phantom & 2-Integra 10's

Old 2009-05-09, 2:57pm
Ready to hit the road

Those are gorgeous, Carolyn.
Renee, they're like the old fashioned Christmas ornaments.

Katja, I like the different colors I can get in my plunges:

Old 2009-05-09, 5:32pm
Just Plain

Awesome beads Carolyn & Betsy! Here are a few more.
The first 2 are just Aurae & clear. The last one is Aurae over black.

There are just an endless number of ways to work this glass; it's so much fun!

Old 2009-05-09, 6:42pm
Mama said

This is the glass that is going to pull me out of my self-imposed buying strike.
Old 2009-05-09, 7:11pm
Rare Florida Native

Wow Carolyn, Betsy and Jayne - I have some but have not tried it yet.......I had better soon!

Old 2009-05-09, 7:18pm
Life is change. Love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee View Post
Carolyn, I love what you can do with Aurae. For whatever reason, that bottom set reminds me of Christmas! I've tried to get that particular result, but so far nada. They're all lovely, though.
Let it cool right down before reducing to get those effects

Old 2009-05-09, 8:30pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by betsymn View Post

I love these plunged eye beads, Betsy! I'm going to try that with the Aurae I have. It never occurred to me. Thanks for sharing them.

Nancy

#R-85
Old 2009-05-09, 8:53pm
*Desa Elliott*

Default WOWZA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by betsymn View Post

Betsymn,
do you mind telling what you used for the base glass in your beads?? those are full of golden light.....ALL of this eye candy is jaw-dropping divine!

Jayne, your work is just unreal!!
Carolyn, beautiful!

I LOVE Aurae, is about my favorite of DH's glass,(which says a ton, because it is amazing). I am not too good at using it yet. I need to take some pictures for constructive critique and post them, but I am not good at taking pictures yet either.

You are all so inspirational......

Desa

G-88
Creideamh, Sůil, Dělseachd

(Scottish Gaelic: Faith, Hope, Love)

www.ETSY.com/shop/GothicGlassJewelry
Old 2009-05-10, 7:20am
Ready to hit the road

Thank you all for the compliments. If I remember correctly, this one is done on 260 Pink. The reaction with Aurae and reducing turns it a pale yellow. Another one I like using it with is Vet Yellow Ice. It has a lovely reaction with that glass too.

Old 2009-05-10, 3:12pm

It's my favorite Double Helix glass by far!!! This is Aurae over CIM Peacock and then encased with Moretti clear. FYI, I have not had luck encasing these beads with Diamond Clear (they cracked), but the Moretti works out fine and is a lot cheaper too.

Old 2009-05-11, 9:05am
Feuer,Flamme and Tattoo's

Glad I asked. I am going to pick up 1 lb today , and since I dont need anything else I should come away ""cheap"" from Frantz...lol
Thanks for posting you guys are awesome
Katja
Old 2009-05-11, 9:50am

Lisa F your bead is stunning, of course I had to place an order after seeing your bead.
Old 2009-05-11, 11:18am
Gimme that silver glass!

I love Aurae (and as you can see, so do many more!). It has a great pink/purple/blue when you encase it and when left exposed and reduced... Just WOW effects. I made a bracelet/necklace out of it (all Aurae beads). You should actually see it in the sun, it has an amazing sparkle I can't capture in the picture:

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2009-05-11, 11:47am

Anouk, i have been wowed by your beads many times, but that necklace/bracelet is just stunning! I bet you get many a compliment over that one!

- 20% off for LE members!

[size="3"]Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday. - Dale Carnegie
Old 2009-05-11, 12:39pm
organically speaking

I'm with everybody else. I love the range of colors, the ease of use and my favorite thing about it is that you can work it to maintain much of it's translucence after reduction and still get fantastic results.
Here's a set I made recently.

Old 2009-05-11, 10:18pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn M View Post
Let it cool right down before reducing to get those effects
I just check back on this thread, and thank you so much for sharing, Carolyn! That was really very kind.

Renee
Blue Moon Glass Studio
GTT Phantom & 2-Integra 10's

Old 2009-05-12, 1:43pm
Gimme that silver glass!

Thank you so much Joanne ! I just love to see what everyone is doing with Aurae, just stunning!

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2009-05-14, 12:08pm
Tweedle Dumb

i am aurae challenged. i just got mine today. wasted a whole rod. when i reduce it it all looks the same color, do those different colors appear after it has cooled? i tryed just wafting, and it went totally gun metal on me, i think i have my torch set right, the candles are about an inch and a half, and i'm working in the upper part while reducing, but still nothing too exciting. it is the dark batch, and i'm using it by itself... am i supposed to use it as more of an encasement?

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2009-05-14, 12:24pm
Rose colored glasses…√

Don't reduce it. Just let it cool almost to the point you worry about it cracking, then waft it gently through the upper part of the flame repeatedly.

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2009-05-14, 12:33pm
Tweedle Dumb

what the?!? you don't reduce it!!! yeah!!! that means i can probably use this, since i am severely reduction challenged! i'll give that a shot! THANK YOU!!!!

Old 2009-05-14, 2:35pm
Lampworkaholic!

Try using it over different base colors. I like it with Cim Sepia, Effetre Trans Light Brown, Diamond Clear, and I plan to try it over Cim Berry next. You will definitely see subtle differences with different bases. I give it a very light reduction, just turn down the oxy a bit and swirl through the outer part of the flame once or twice.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-05-14, 2:37pm
Tweedle Dumb

i wanna do it like anouk! anouk, does your tutorial cover making aurae beads like those? i just wasted another stinkin 1/4 rod i got one itty bitty spot to turn the right color.

Old 2009-05-14, 2:42pm
Rose colored glasses…√

Aurae is really so very easy. How 'bout you don't try to make it make the pretty colors. You're thinking about it too hard.

Make a small bead, like 8mm or so, and gently waft it back and forth in the flame...or...

just heat the tip of the rod, as if you're going to make a bead, and waft that back and forth until you get the hang of it.

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2009-05-14, 2:57pm
Tweedle Dumb

i tried just the tip i got almost terracotta colors!lol!

Old 2009-05-14, 3:00pm
Rose colored glasses…√

What kind of torch are you on? Maybe try adding more oxygen to the flame. On the plus side...terracotta is sorta' pink.

Old 2009-05-14, 3:02pm
Tweedle Dumb

i bought anouks tut. i just don't get it.... can't stand to be wasting glass.

Old 2009-05-14, 3:03pm
Tweedle Dumb

i'm on a minor with a 5lpm concentrator, i'm using the same flame that i use for my terranova and my luna and they both come out fab!